ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conseqences of Loosing Indian citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tripas33
India

Conseqences of Loosing Indian citizenship

Post by tripas33 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello Friends,

Do you know what will be the consequences of loosing Indian citizenship and acquiring UK citizenship ?
I have some property in India , will it be a problem in selling or buying new after loosing Indian citizenship but acquiring OCI.

Thanks
Tripas
Reg,
Tripas

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Conseqences of Loosing Indian citizenship

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 pm

You'll be required to support England at Cricket. This is mandatory and punishable by being forced to watch them beat India....

Also you'll have to eat chips and steak and kidley pea and drink warm flat beer.

And learn to love bread rolls....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Wanderer wrote:You'll be required to support England at Cricket.
Ah yes, the Tebbitt test match ;)
Wanderer wrote:drink warm flat beer
Now that is harsh. But it must be better than having "child bear" in India.

To the OP, your question is a question for the Other Countries forum, rather than the British citizenship forum. Can the mods please move the question?

I believe that only Indian citizens and OCIs can own agricultural land in India. As you will not be either between the date of your naturalisation and your successful application for OCI, that may affect your title to the land. It may be better to transfer the property to a family member and then retransfer it back after acquiring OCI. Or it may be worth looking at creating a family trust or a company incorporated in India to hold the land. Be aware that I am not a lawyer and you may need to consult an Indian lawyer with regards to your query.
Last edited by secret.simon on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:13 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wanderer wrote:You'll be required to support England at Cricket.
Ah yes, the Tebbitt test match ;)
Wanderer wrote:drink warm flat beer
Now that is harsh. But it must be better than having "child bear" in India.

To the OP, your question is a question for the Other Countries forum, rather than the British citizenship forum. Can the mods please move the question?

I believe that only Indian citizens and OCIs can own agricultural land in India. As you will not be either between the date of your naturalisation and your successful application for OCI, that may affect your title to the land. It may be better to transfer the property to a family member and then retransfer it back after acquiring OCI. Or it may be worth looking at creating a family trust or a company incorporated in India to hold the land. Be aware that I am not a lawyer and you may need to consult an Indian lawyer with regards to your query.
Or the 'Vagina Tandoori', I have to visit, but I'm not having the fish...

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Wanderer wrote:Or the 'Vagina Tandoori', I have to visit, but I'm not having the fish...
Worst photoshop job I have seen in sometime... :lol:
A major correction, OCIs CANNOT own agricultural land in India (but can inherit and keep already bought farm land) nor hold any government post and no voting rights.
secret.simon wrote:I believe that only Indian citizens and OCIs can own agricultural land in India. As you will not be either between the date of your naturalisation and your successful application for OCI, that may affect your title to the land. It may be better to transfer the property to a family member and then retransfer it back after acquiring OCI. Or it may be worth looking at creating a family trust or a company incorporated in India to hold the land. Be aware that I am not a lawyer and you may need to consult an Indian lawyer with regards to your query.
dude, where did you get this info from???
Manka

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Manka10 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Or the 'Vagina Tandoori', I have to visit, but I'm not having the fish...
Worst photoshop job I have seen in sometime... :lol:
A major correction, OCIs CANNOT own agricultural land in India (but can inherit and keep already bought farm land) nor hold any government post and no voting rights.
secret.simon wrote:I believe that only Indian citizens and OCIs can own agricultural land in India. As you will not be either between the date of your naturalisation and your successful application for OCI, that may affect your title to the land. It may be better to transfer the property to a family member and then retransfer it back after acquiring OCI. Or it may be worth looking at creating a family trust or a company incorporated in India to hold the land. Be aware that I am not a lawyer and you may need to consult an Indian lawyer with regards to your query.
Its not a Photoshop job lots the same from different angles if you can be arsed googling it before lecturing.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Wanderer wrote:Its not a Photoshop job lots the same from different angles if you can be arsed googling it before lecturing.
"arsed" googling dumbass photoshop pics??! :lol: thanks but no thanks for that much unwanted advice, I have much bigger fish to fry.
Get a life instead of being arsed about googling stupid pictures.
Also, stick to the post henceforth, if you have no clue what to say then better refrain from posting unwanted crap, this board is for helping immigrants. Find some other board to post your unrelated gibberish.
Manka

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Manka10 wrote:
secret.simon wrote: I believe that only Indian citizens and OCIs can own agricultural land in India. As you will not be either between the date of your naturalisation and your successful application for OCI, that may affect your title to the land. It may be better to transfer the property to a family member and then retransfer it back after acquiring OCI. Or it may be worth looking at creating a family trust or a company incorporated in India to hold the land. Be aware that I am not a lawyer and you may need to consult an Indian lawyer with regards to your query.
I was aware of rules with regards to ownership of agricultural land being restricted to Indian citizens. I theorised that OCIs likely would have analogous rights. The rest of the information is based on the fact that in the period between acquiring British citizenship and acquiring OCI (which I thought did allow him to own agricultural land), his lack of either status would efffectively render his tiitle to such land invalid and hence offered what seemed to me to be valid alternatives to work around the restrictions.

I did clarify that Indian legal advice would be needed as I felt it is a specific question more related to land ownership law than to immigration or citizenship law and hence it is not even an issue for these forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 am

secret.simon wrote: I was aware of rules with regards to ownership of agricultural land being restricted to Indian citizens. I theorised that OCIs likely would have analogous rights. The rest of the information is based on the fact that in the period between acquiring British citizenship and acquiring OCI (which I thought did allow him to own agricultural land), his lack of either status would efffectively render his tiitle to such land invalid and hence offered what seemed to me to be valid alternatives to work around the restrictions.

I did clarify that Indian legal advice would be needed as I felt it is a specific question more related to land ownership law than to immigration or citizenship law and hence it is not even an issue for these forums.
No legal advice is required anywhere, the rules are crystal clear, no need to go through the hassle of transferring, re-transferring properties or form any company.

http://moia.gov.in/services.aspx?id1=35 ... &mainid=23

http://nriinformation.com/articles4/agr ... l_land.htm
Manka