ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"family of a settled person" visa or "family visitor" visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cskmail

"family of a settled person" visa or "family visitor" visa

Post by cskmail » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 am

Hi!

:?: :roll: :?: I have few queries:

My uncle is 70+ years old and a British Citizen. I am not his blood relative but he wants me to join him as he don't have any family.

I want to join him to support him and care in his old age. At present, I don't have any work visa for UK but I had worked in UK for eight months on Tier-1 visa and been there twice before on business visa and once on visitor visa.

In present scenario, what type of visa I have to apply. Is it family (‘family of a settled person’) visa or "family visitor" visa. This question arises because I needed to work to support myself and might need to fund my uncle partially. And on "family visitor" visa which is a Standard Visitor visa now, I can not earn.

Best regards,
Andy
:D

secret.simon

Re: "family of a settled person" visa or "family visitor" vi

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:10 am

cskmail wrote:I am not his blood relative
Are you adopted or otherwise a relative in the legal sense of the term? Or when you refer to your uncle, do you mean an elderly family friend?

Neither visa will be applicable to you. Family of a settled person visa is for parents, spouses and children of people settled in the UK. A visit visa will be for a maximum of six months (though less is recommended) and does not allow the right to work.

Essentially, you will not be able to settle in the UK based on your uncle being a British citizen. You will have to look at visas based on work, marriage or durable relationships or Ancestry.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:32 am

Thanks a lot! Simon,

You got it right, this Uncle of mine is just an elderly family friend.

I glad to get a prompt response from you. This forum is actually a useful place.

If you don't mind and share some UKBA or GOV.UK web-link in support of your advise. Although, based on my knowledge, your advise sounds appropriate enough. But my situation is desperate, this Uncle of mine is not keeping very healthy lately and his only brother who is also very old, lives in India and can not travel to UK for supporting him.

I know by heart that there is no visa category for my particular case.

Best regards

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:07 am

cskmail wrote:If you don't mind and share some UKBA or GOV.UK web-link in support of your advise.
That is well-nigh impossible if only because there is no category for a family friend and as you mentioned, your case is sui-generis.

In extremis, your "uncle" could look at adopting you legally, which could allow you to apply for the "family of a settled person" visa. I must warn that not being a lawyer, I am not aware of the full consequences of adult adoption. He will also have to consider the impact of adoption on his estate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 am

Even if adoption of an adult was possible, which I doubt, the ADR visa will still not be possible as it is more applicable to the 'uncle' than the 'able to work' family friend.

Given that the 'uncle' is in the UK, there are many means and resources available to the 'uncle' to look after him.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:51 am

Perhaps your 'uncle' should consider moving to India where you would be able to care for him and he would be re-united with his brother.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.