ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

harv

OCI application

Post by harv » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 am

Hi all

My wife got her British Citizenship and applied for British passport the same day as well, just waiting for the passport process to complete now. Once she gets the passport she will surrender her Indian passport and then apply for Indian Tourist visa as she needs to go to india asap.

I have a couple of questions if someone is able please help:

1) can she apply for her OCI before flying to India on her tourist visa, by the time she comes back home she would have possibly received the OCI

2) can she apply for OCI from india and the OCI card can be either picked up/delivered in india or uk

Normally we were planning to apply for her OCI once she comes back from her trip to india, but just wandering if the above is any way possible...

Thanks in advance.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: OCI application

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:25 am

I have moved your query to the 'Other Countries' forum as not applicable in the British Citzenship forum and you will get more help here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:05 pm

harv wrote:Once she gets the passport she will surrender her Indian passport and then apply for Indian Tourist visa
Not sure about the OCI questions which I will leave for others to answer.

Your wife needs to apply for an "X" visa as a former Indian citizen, not a tourist visa. It typically takes three working days to get.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

harv

Post by harv » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi secret.simon

Thanks for your help, but I am unable to find this visa you mentoned. There is e-tourist visa which is the fastest but only for a month and the other fastest one is the 3/6 months tourist visa which I will be applying for.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

harv

Post by harv » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks for your help, makes sense.

I have one other question.

- British Passport interview booked for Tuesday, so expect it to come by Friday or early next week
- Is it possible to apply for Inidian passport surrender certificate and category X visa both at the same time from the VFS?

My brother is going to india on the 7th so I wanted her to go with him if anyway possible.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

harv

Post by harv » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:32 pm

I guess the answer is no, have to get surrender certificate first than go for X category visa. Although she can travel on her Indian passport, she is a bit cautious of any issue it may cause. So we will go a little safer and get her visa on British passport instead.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised