ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I just got British Passport. Travel to India Advice...

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tire1Questions

I just got British Passport. Travel to India Advice...

Post by Tire1Questions » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello,
I have just got British Passport (this week only) and I need to travel to India in the first week of December. I have not yet surrendered my Indian passport to Indian embassy in UK. Can I travel to India on Indian Passport?

Is it correct that you can use Indian passport to travel for 3 months grace period from the date of you are naturalised in United Kingdom?

Can someone please advise????
Thanks in advance...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: I just got British Passport. Travel to India Advice...

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Is it correct that you can use Indian passport to travel for 3 months grace period from the date of you are naturalised in United Kingdom
Yes, it is true and this will count from the date on your naturalisation certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:00 am

Be aware that if you fly into India on your Indian passport and then attempt to fly out on your British passport, you will have issues with the Indian immigration authorities. You may have to pay for an exit visa in addition to a fine and may miss your flight.

As you have time, I would suggest surrendering your Indian passport (about five working days, if you do it in person at VFS) and then get an X-visa (another three-five working days, at VFS).

Also note, as CR001 has pointed out, that the 90 day grace period starts from the date on your naturalisation certificate, not from that of your passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alladin

Post by alladin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 am

I think you should be ok if you use Indian Passport for entering and leaving india. If it is after 3 months of your naturalization, indian embassy can fine you around £140 for each trip when you surrender indian passport. But as previously suggested, you could surrender your passport and then apply for an indian visa too (which also will cost around the same, I think). See here, https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=90

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Not hijacking the thread, but curiosity got the better of me.

How would the Indian border officials know that the OP is a british passort holder, Can the OP not leave the country(India) if he has a valid Indian passort and Visa? And use the British passport to enter UK.

Tire1Questions

Post by Tire1Questions » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:10 pm

That's right. The UKVA does not have any problems as UK allows dual citizenship. I was thinking to leave UK on British passport and use the Indian passport to enter into india and use India and my ILR card to enter leave India. on arrival at UK, I can use British passport to enter the UK.