ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 ILR Approved (with part overseas income)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Tier 1 ILR Approved (with part overseas income)

Post by Temitopeh » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Looking to say kudos to helpful members and moderators for this awesome forum which has been a good resource for me all through this journey.

I had my ILR approved at Cardiff PEO last week:

Applied for Tier 1: 2010
Extension approved: 2013
ILR: Jan 2016

I have a UK employer (key employment) as well as part-time employment with another employer based overseas and although I used a combination of both employments for my extension, I had huge concerns regarding tax obligations for my overseas income for this ILR and was anxious if tax for overseas extension would be queried (tax obligations for non-doms/ilr is not particularly black and white - my unprofessional opinion).

I submitted all required documents as well as employers earning letter, contract of employment and overseas bank statements for my overseas income. Key point to note is that the caseworker requested an interview with me and dug very deep into my history and qualifications to merit overseas earnings and all.

No verification calls were made but I was thoroughly 'grilled' regarding my jobs - how/why I was employed and how I deliver it; I used the interview opportunity to establish my earnings abroad were unremitted to the UK. I hope this helps anyone looking to use this type of earning(s) to claim points. My employer earnings letter showed net and gross income stating tax withheld at source.

Happy to answer any queries. Prayer and thorough preparation works.

Cheers.

O_Relly

Re: Tier 1 ILR Approved (with part overseas income)

Post by O_Relly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Congrats and tfs Temitopeh!
Cheers,
OR

martinstroke

Post by martinstroke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:57 am

Hello,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing as it does really help some of us like me who are using part overseas income. I just have two questions for you as regarding the application if you wouldn't mind sharing with us.

1. As stated in the SET(O) form, for earnings, it is indicated as earnings where the job was physically carried out. Did you gave to travel abroad to take up this part time employment for the overseas job? And if YES, this leads to my second question.

2. Did you have to obtain and show a letter to demonstrate your absences from the UK as regards the overseas employment at any time? and finally.

3. Did you have to get an accountant to endorse your overseas earnings.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your reply

Martins

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:55 pm

martinstroke,

1. Overseas job was delivered online and I was physically present in the UK though projects were based overseas.

3. I did not get an accountant to endorse my overseas earnings as it was not self employment - signed and stamped employment letter was enough.

Cheers.

martinstroke

Post by martinstroke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks very much for the info.

David31
Newly Registered

Post by David31 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Temitopeh wrote:Looking to say kudos to helpful members and moderators for this awesome forum which has been a good resource for me all through this journey.

I had my ILR approved at Cardiff PEO last week:

Applied for Tier 1: 2010
Extension approved: 2013
ILR: Jan 2016

I have a UK employer (key employment) as well as part-time employment with another employer based overseas and although I used a combination of both employments for my extension, I had huge concerns regarding tax obligations for my overseas income for this ILR and was anxious if tax for overseas extension would be queried (tax obligations for non-doms/ilr is not particularly black and white - my unprofessional opinion).

I submitted all required documents as well as employers earning letter, contract of employment and overseas bank statements for my overseas income. Key point to note is that the caseworker requested an interview with me and dug very deep into my history and qualifications to merit overseas earnings and all.

No verification calls were made but I was thoroughly 'grilled' regarding my jobs - how/why I was employed and how I deliver it; I used the interview opportunity to establish my earnings abroad were unremitted to the UK. I hope this helps anyone looking to use this type of earning(s) to claim points. My employer earnings letter showed net and gross income stating tax withheld at source.

Happy to answer any queries. Prayer and thorough preparation works.

Cheers.

Hi Temi'

Congrats & thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind, & if it isn't much trouble, are you please able to share some of the questions the Case worker asked you please ?
My husband is due to apply soon. We are praying earnestly & preparing too.
He's combining self employed funds & his employment ; both from here.
However in 2010, we had to combine funds from here & for the renewal in 2013. We've just made payments for those taxes this year ...
Will that affect anything or is it okay as long as the taxes are paid ?

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi David31,

The questions where mainly to ascertain my overseas employment was genuine so the questions were mainly about how the work was delivered, my experience and even questions about key aspects of one of my qualifications - intense I tell you.

Caseworkers are paying particular attention to self-employment and as long as all your boxes are checked (and tax obligations met) you should be fine.

Wish you all the best and reading your success story soon.

Cheers.

martinstroke

Post by martinstroke » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello Temitope

A quick question for you. Is this your one and only application that you have done with part overseas earnings?

Reason for me asking is because my last 2 tier 1 applications, that is, Initial and extension applications have all been done using both part UK employment and part overseas income and have never had issues with points on previous earnings and no taxes have been paid in the UK with respect to the overseas earnings.

I am just wondering if I am over thinking things regarding the issue of tax with my ILR which is around the corner.

Thanks

Martins

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Martinstroke,

I totally get the overthinking part particularly when the guidance is not exactly clear in that area!.

I did extend with part overseas and no issues with that (and I mentioned at my interview the monies were expended overseas as well and unremitted to the UK). I submitted 3 documents - employment contract, employers earning letter (showing tax withheld) as well as the overseas bank statement.

Take care.

martaa1234
Newly Registered

Post by martaa1234 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:13 am

Hello temitopee,

Congratulations. I am also going to be using part overseas earnings just as you have done. I just have a quick question for you.

Is this your first visa application using part overseas earnings? If the answer is NO, have you been making any UK taxes based on the overseas earnings.

Your swift reply will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Marta

imuoka
Newly Registered

Post by imuoka » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 am

Hello Temitope,

I would like to ask you some personal questions,would it be okay to give you my email address or can you send me yours please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Emerald

martaa1234
Newly Registered

Post by martaa1234 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 am

Hello Temitopeh,

Are you able to help with my earlier query please, or if there is anyone in the forum who has made use of part overseas income.

Thanks your reply would be much appreciated.

Marta

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 am

Hi mart,

I used overseas earning for extension as well as ILR and in both instances, the tax were withheld at source by my employer and tax was not paid in the UK, tax was paid on my UK earnings. Ensure you submit more than two collaborating documents as tax obligations are not entirely clear cut but the case workers must be satisfied the job is credible.

It may be a different story if the overseas earnings were from self-employment though or what the obligations may be. Heard of another person who applied last year with part-overseas income and got the ILR as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:12 am

imuoka wrote:Hello Temitope,

I would like to ask you some personal questions,would it be okay to give you my email address or can you send me yours please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Emerald
Hi Imuoka,

Do send me your email addy and I will reply to any query you may have.

Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 am

Temitopeh wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

Emerald
Hi Imuoka,

Cheers
Members are strongly advised against posting personal contact details on a very public forum for their own protection (you don't know anyone on here and any user could be a spammer/scammer). This forum is frequently visited by spammers and scammers. Any details that are posted will be deleted.

Please see point 5 of the Forum Terms & Conditions (Click).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 am

CR001 wrote:
Temitopeh wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

Emerald
Hi Imuoka,

Cheers
Members are strongly advised against posting personal contact details on a very public forum for their own protection (you don't know anyone on here and any user could be a spammer/scammer). This forum is frequently visited by spammers and scammers. Any details that are posted will be deleted.

Please see point 5 of the Forum Terms & Conditions (Click).
Thanks Mod, I suppose you can pose any other query you may have here Imuoka.

Take care.

David31
Newly Registered

Post by David31 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Temitopeh wrote:Hi David31,

The questions where mainly to ascertain my overseas employment was genuine so the questions were mainly about how the work was delivered, my experience and even questions about key aspects of one of my qualifications - intense I tell you.

Caseworkers are paying particular attention to self-employment and as long as all your boxes are checked (and tax obligations met) you should be fine.

Cheers.

Hi Temi'

Thanks for your response.
I need to understand something please .... A few things actually.
I read somewhere on this site as a Ltd company director, you need to submit your VAT returns. I had assumed only companies with turnovers above £82k need do that ?

More importantly, as regards corporation & self assessment taxes, mine aren't due until July & October respectively. However, these are months after my ILR is due. What do you suppose I'll need present to the HO please ??
My previous earnings were self employed income from abroad & salaried job here.
However in 2015 Dec, I started a company here whose taxes as stated up there, according to the accountant aren't due for filing yet.
I'm so confused. Please help

Or anyone else that sees this first & is able to assist please?

Kind regards.

holla007

Post by holla007 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Temitope,
I think my application is similar to yours, I mean it's part UK earnings and part overseas, but my question is this, how did you do the online point calculator, I couldn't find the point calculator for tier 1 General on their website, cheers for your response ahead.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:15 pm

holla007 wrote:Hi Temitope,
I think my application is similar to yours, I mean it's part UK earnings and part overseas, but my question is this, how did you do the online point calculator, I couldn't find the point calculator for tier 1 General on their website, cheers for your response ahead.
You can use Tier 2 G.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

David31
Newly Registered

Post by David31 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Temitopeh wrote:Hi David31,

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for your response(s) Temi'.

I'm pleased to let you know our ILR was approved today, to the glory of God.

martinstroke

Post by martinstroke » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello CR1,

how do you go about using the tier 2 general under the points based calculator for the tier 1 general ILR to see how the points and attributes are added up. Can you please let me know how this can be done seeing that you suggested this to the poster ahead earlier.

I have tried this but cannot find the parts that match up to tier 1 general attributes.

Thanks

holla007

Post by holla007 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Temi, I got it though I really don't know what to chose when it requested for sponsorship certificate tho

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 am

Holla,I think I used Tier 2 general and just selected yes as an option for sponsorship- the key aspect is showing points for English language and the institution I suppose.

Congrats David, so pleased you've scaled the huddle as well.

Martin, I believe the PBS no longer makes provision for proving all the requirements of T1 General to ILR, just use it to establish you English Lan and awarding institution (if applicable) and fill you Set O form correctly. The other sections of the PBS not applicable to your application is generally ignored.

Wish you a stressless one Holla and Martin. :)

martinstroke

Post by martinstroke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:54 am

Hello Temitope,

Just a quick one again please. What supporting documents did you use to show the evidence of your overseas income, did you use the same as that of your UK employment, that is, PAYSLIPS and BANK STATEMENTS.

Thanks very much. It would have been nice to pm you though.

martin

Temitopeh
Newly Registered

Post by Temitopeh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Martin,

As stated in my first post, I submitted employers earning letter, contract of employment and overseas bank statements for my overseas income as I did not have pay slips for them. I also submitted earlier contracts with the overseas company just to lay all the cards on table so to say.

God keep you :)