ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension Requirements for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

london7733
Newly Registered

Extension Requirements for Spouse Visa

Post by london7733 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi

I would like to know what are the requirements for the spouse visa extension?

I am a british citizen and my wife came on spouse visa in March 2014 and the visa is due to expire in Nov 2016.

I have tried to see the requirements on the home office website but it is a bit confusing.

I would like to know if she requires to give english language tests or her degree from india (if converted using UK NARIC) shall be fine?

Lastly should I hire a solicitor or file the application ourselves. Also it would be helpful if someone can let me know the new fees?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extension Requirements for Spouse Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 pm

She needs to apply for an extension (2.5. years) on form FLR(M). She needs to meet ALL the same requirements that she met when she applied for her first spouse visa (financial & English).

Indicative fees of £1,195 from April when they increased are in the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 016-17.pdf

A solicitor is not necessary, in my opinion. They charge a fortune and it makes absolutely no difference to your application, all they can do is complete the form for you, check your documents, there really is no big advantage. Our advice and help on the forum is free of course.

Your wife can apply by post or you can apply in person for a same day decision.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:02 pm

There will be an additional fee for applying in person. From April 2016 it will be £500.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:05 pm

And also, forgot to mention that unless you are from Australia or New Zealand, you also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge of £500 before submitting your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

london7733
Newly Registered

Post by london7733 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 am

Hi

Thank you very much for quick replies.

My wife has a bachelors and a masters degree in india, she gave IELTS when she applied for the first spouse visa, but I am thinking of getting her degrees checked with UK NARIC if the degrees do fill out the criteria for minimum english requirements.

Do you think it is something we should look at or just go with another IELTS exam?

Lastly we do not have 3 bills in joint names for the last 2 years and finding 6 individual correspondences is a bit hard as well, Does this carry a huge weight in the application process?

I may have 2 joint bills (bank account and bill) and about 4 individually.

So a same day application fee takes me down about £2200? (1195+health+same day)

Would you guys prefer postal application or paying the extra amount and getting it sorted asap?
How long does the decision take in postal application though?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Cohab is really important. Documents can be in joint names of what you have and them others can also be in individual names.

Getting the NARIC language assessment will probably be the best way.

Postal applications can take anything from 3 months to 12 months.

My personal choice was always applying in person, never had any problems with any of my appointments.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

london7733
Newly Registered

Post by london7733 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi CR01

Thank you very much for your replies.

Kind regards

Gooruu
Newly Registered

Post by Gooruu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi CR01,
I just found this post and I need to ask you one question as you said

She needs to apply for an extension (2.5. years) on form FLR(M). She needs to meet ALL the same requirements that she met when she applied for her first spouse visa (financial & English).

For me if I can't meet on the same requirement as my first spouse visa because my partner stopped working and he claim for fublic found ; PIP,ESA,child benefit,child tax and house benefit. Can I still apply FLR (M) for renewal by use Amber's calculation for exempt finance require?

Many thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Gooruu
Newly Registered

Post by Gooruu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi Casa,
Thank you so so much for prompt reply. Now I know what I have to do. Before I didn't know how can I start? And I have been running around to finding information of 2 forms [FLR (FP) and FLR (M)]. Now I need to concentrate and finding more information just only FLR(M). And I just waiting for Amber to answer me for how to calculate my saving money because I have to plus saving money to help me meet finance. Hope he can see my question soon :)

And once again thank you so so much

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Amber (female) isn't often on the forum at the moment.
(Casa, not CR001)

Gooruu
Newly Registered

Post by Gooruu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Thank you so much for let me know. I hope she could see my question soon. I still got times to wait for her answer. And I think (fingers cross) I can meet finance after I knew exactly how to calculate by plus my saving money. My saving money only one option can help me. Otherwise I need to come back and finding information of FLR(FP) again. Hopefully should be fine :(

Thank you Casa :)

Gooruu
Newly Registered

Post by Gooruu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Casa,
I just would like to say thank you to Casa. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH. Now I have been granted visa. And I have to say thank you to Amber a lots for her's calculation. Thank you this helpfull board and thank you to everyone whoever share their experiences. I'm really appreciate

Thank you so much again :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Delighted to hear your good news! Congratulations and thanks for updating us. :)
(Casa, not CR001)

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Gooruu wrote:She needs to apply for an extension (2.5. years) on form FLR(M). She needs to meet ALL the same requirements that she met when she applied for her first spouse visa (financial & English).
It's not quite true about the English requirement. From October 2016 (check the date!) the second spouse visa English requirement goes up to A2.