ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Where to enter academic stipend in FLR(M) application form

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Mo.No
Newly Registered

Where to enter academic stipend in FLR(M) application form

Post by Mo.No » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi,

I am filling in the FLR(M) form and I need to show proof of "adequate maintenance" instead of financial requirement, so part 7.B of the form. I am just a bit confused about where I should mention that I am receiving £14000 p.a as an academic maintenance stipend? My answers for question 7.5 about working in the UK is No, as I am a full time PhD student and I am not working. But it seems that there is not other place to show that I am in receipt of an academic maintenance stipend!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mohamad

pentatonic
Newly Registered

Re: Where to enter academic stipend in FLR(M) application fo

Post by pentatonic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Mo.No wrote:My answers for question 7.5 about working in the UK is No, as I am a full time PhD student and I am not working. But it seems that there is not other place to show that I am in receipt of an academic maintenance stipend!
These forms are just not designed with PhD students in mind I'm afraid. I was in a very similar situation last year (albeit I was applying under the normal Section 7A financial requirements). I just wrote explanatory text about my situation in the empty spaces around the relevant boxes. In the end I still had to argue my point with a caseworker over the phone because apparently my explanation was 'unclear'. (I explained it in like four different places and he still didn't get it. Thankfully I actually knew that particular rule almost by the letter.)

I even complained to HO after my leave was granted and they replied that it's not their priority to adjust the form, because they receive so few cases of students using their stipends on FLR(M). Unbelievable, but true.

In my PERSONAL OPINION, I would fill in £14,000 in the box next to the "Are you working in the UK" even though you ticked "No", but then use the empty space to the left of that box to explain that this is a tax-free student maintenance stipend and that you are a full-time PhD student. Also attach a letter from your university to confirm the amount, that it is tax-free, and your course end date.

Mo.No
Newly Registered

Re: Where to enter academic stipend in FLR(M) application fo

Post by Mo.No » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:53 pm

pentatonic wrote:
Mo.No wrote:My answers for question 7.5 about working in the UK is No, as I am a full time PhD student and I am not working. But it seems that there is not other place to show that I am in receipt of an academic maintenance stipend!
These forms are just not designed with PhD students in mind I'm afraid. I was in a very similar situation last year (albeit I was applying under the normal Section 7A financial requirements). I just wrote explanatory text about my situation in the empty spaces around the relevant boxes. In the end I still had to argue my point with a caseworker over the phone because apparently my explanation was 'unclear'. (I explained it in like four different places and he still didn't get it. Thankfully I actually knew that particular rule almost by the letter.)

I even complained to HO after my leave was granted and they replied that it's not their priority to adjust the form, because they receive so few cases of students using their stipends on FLR(M). Unbelievable, but true.

In my PERSONAL OPINION, I would fill in £14,000 in the box next to the "Are you working in the UK" even though you ticked "No", but then use the empty space to the left of that box to explain that this is a tax-free student maintenance stipend and that you are a full-time PhD student. Also attach a letter from your university to confirm the amount, that it is tax-free, and your course end date.
Thank you for your reply. I do have a letter from university confirming that I am a full time PhD student and course end date and at the bottom it says that I am in receipt of full scholarship and shows the amount of maintenance stipend. But it does not say that it is tax free. I assume that the HO would know that studentship maintenance stipends are tax free. Do you think I should ask my university to specifically mention that it is tax free?