ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post citizenship ceremony - applying for passport overseas?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Seraphial
Newly Registered

Post citizenship ceremony - applying for passport overseas?

Post by Seraphial » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 am

Guys, new here but creeped about ever since I sought timeline advice on my British citizenship (which has now been approved! :lol: )

Wanted to get some advice from anyone who has specifically applied for a passport after the ceremony. At this point, I have received approval on my British citizenship, and since I've relocated to the states to work for half a year and will miss my ceremony dates, I've looked into how I can do it overseas. Thankfully after looking at the site I've realised I can do it in the city I'm in. However a couple of things came up when I looked at applying for a passport, and to preface my questions, I'm a NZer by birth, with parents from China and Singapore. My Chinese father does not, from what I can tell, have or can even request a birth certificate.

(note that these questions stem from the guidance document here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF and is for a new, first passport)

- is showing your birth certificate necessary? It's currently in another country but I had to supply my certificate when I applied for my citizenship in the first place?

- on Table B it says I need 'your father’s full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate' - as above, my father doesn't have a birth certificate as he was born in China, and at that time these kind of things are rare. Therefore, if I read 'naturisation or registration certificate' correctly, could I use a NZ one?

Any help would be appreciated!

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Post citizenship ceremony - applying for passport overse

Post by ohara » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 am

Ignore the tables, they relate to documents you need to provide if you are British through descent etc.

As you are naturalised, all you need to provide is your naturalisation certificate, 2 photos, and any other valid passports you currently hold :)

carrick
Newly Registered

Post by carrick » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:14 am

ohara wrote:Ignore the tables, they relate to documents you need to provide if you are British through descent etc.

As you are naturalized, all you need to provide is your naturalization certificate, 2 photos, and any other valid passports you currently hold :)
Im in the same situation, I live in Australia, but was born in NZ. I am naturalised Australian and just got my British Citizenship Certificate via Registration yesterday.

Table D states if I am applying in a country other than the one I was born in I have to show how i got to my country of residence and why I am applying from that country.

I was 10 years old in 1979 when we moved to Australia on my Dad's passport and now after 37 years well, those documents like passport and air tickets no longer exist. is this a great concern?

Not sure how I am going to prove this! Also would I attend an interview here in Melbourne?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 am

Seraphial wrote:and since I've relocated to the states to work for half a year and will miss my ceremony dates, I've looked into how I can do it overseas. Thankfully after looking at the site I've realised I can do it in the city I'm in.
Are you married to a British Citizen?

You are not British until you have attended the Ceremony and received your certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Seraphial
Newly Registered

Post by Seraphial » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Seraphial wrote:and since I've relocated to the states to work for half a year and will miss my ceremony dates, I've looked into how I can do it overseas. Thankfully after looking at the site I've realised I can do it in the city I'm in.
Are you married to a British Citizen?

You are not British until you have attended the Ceremony and received your certificate.
Not yet, but that's why I looked into doing ceremonies overseas. The gov.uk site says

Ceremonies outside the UK

If you’re registering to become a British citizen and you can’t be in the UK, your citizenship ceremony will take place at the embassy or consulate in the country you’re living in.

You’ll need to make an oath or affirmation of allegiance...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm

It is however only available as far as I am aware for spouses of British citizens.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 pm

@Seraphial
The gov.uk website gives you a simplified overview of the process. The detailed explanation of the process is given in the Nationality Directorate Instructions. Read Sections 6.11.22.11 to 6.11.22.18, with a particular emphasis on 6.11.22.12.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.