ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Informing HMRC after British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation
longshift
United Kingdom

Informing HMRC after British Citizenship

Post by longshift » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Guys,

Does it benefit from informing of HMRC of our change of Nationality. Has anyone informed HMRC after becoming British. If so, can you share how did you do that. Also, I would like to know whether it helps informing any other organisations.

I have informed my council to change my nationality in the Electoral register. Also, am planning to inform my Bank as they scanned my indian passport when they opened the account. Don't know whether this is necessary or not, but I am planning to get a mortgage and can't help but think that this will improve the credit ratings. Could be wrong about this, but better safe than sorry. :D

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Informing HMRC after British Citizenship

Post by zahmed05 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Your current nationality shouldn't have any impact on your credit rating.

Banks do take fresh applications at the time of mortgage, i don't see if updating the records will make any difference to that process.

Same goes for HMRC. They wonuldn't be much bothered about your current nationality.

Regards,
Zeeshan

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm

In some other countries, such as the US, they actively encourage you to let the Social Security Admin know you are now a citizen, not here in the UK.

I guess electoral roll is a good point and you should get a reminder from the council every year to ensure details are up to date.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Interesting discussion point. I suppose it's probably good practice (even though there's probably no visible practical benefit in many instances) to have your nationality updated with relevant parties to be accurate - in the event it were ever to be used for identity verification in a official capacity. That's if you are no longer a citizen of your native country.
Last edited by cs95tdg on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:30 pm

which other govt agencies are you thinking of updating, cs95tdg?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:39 pm

I was more thinking about it from a identity protection perspective. So any financial institute (bank/building society) who you are with.

I suppose the list could be rather long, if you look into all instances where you ever had to give your nationality. Your point about informing US social security, made me think. The scope is rather broad.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm

cs95tdg wrote:Your point about informing US social security, made me think. The scope is rather broad.
The US tax system is based on the US citizenships not on geographical location(Citizenship-based Taxation), that's why it is important to notify the authorities. However, the UK tax system is based on residence.

I would recommend to update your records with the bank, particularly if you are apply for a mortgage. Citizenships are considered because mortgage is a long time lending. Most of the main stream banks doesn't give mortgages to foreigners (those who are on LLR).

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Possibly but I have had no issues getting a mortgage on ILR and another friend has had no issues on gettng a mortgage on a time limited spouse visa (with a decent credit history). It all depends..

And I am talking about getting headline rates not sub prime

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 pm

tier1o wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:Your point about informing US social security, made me think. The scope is rather broad.
The US tax system is based on the US citizenships not on geographical location(Citizenship-based Taxation), that's why it is important to notify the authorities. However, the UK tax system is based on residence.
Thanks. Yes, I suppose that's directly related to US citizens being taxed on global income irrespective of country of residence. I was trying to figure whether there would be a need for me to have my nationality updated on my US social security card, even though I no longer live or work there and am not a US citizen. I can't think of a reason at the moment.
tier1o wrote:I would recommend to update your records with the bank, particularly if you are apply for a mortgage. Citizenships are considered because mortgage is a long time lending. Most of the main stream banks doesn't give mortgages to foreigners (those who are on LLR).
And another good reason to update your nationality, irrespective of whether you have renounced your former nationality or not. But as fielddrive has mentioned I too haven't faced an issue in this respect once ILR was granted.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 pm

fielddrive wrote:Possibly but I have had no issues getting a mortgage on ILR and another friend has had no issues on gettng a mortgage on a time limited spouse visa (with a decent credit history). It all depends..
I was referring to LLR not ILR.

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:43 pm

tier1o wrote:
I was referring to LLR not ILR.
My bad .. i read ILR