ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General Dependent Visa - Marriage Subsistence Letter

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amit_sharma90
Mood:
India

Tier 2 General Dependent Visa - Marriage Subsistence Letter

Post by amit_sharma90 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi,

I recently changed my employer and got a new visa. Unfortunately I could not able to apply the visa for my dependents (wife and a kid) at the same as they were in India. They have the visa which is valid till July 2017. But since I changed my job and my visa validity got changed as well so wanted their visa to be inline with my validity date.

Its been 4 months we are staying apart, my employer has advised me to submit a marriage subsistence letter as a supporting document. They are telling me that home office have become strict now these days.

My question is it really necessary to provide marriage subsistence letter though I am providing original marriage certificate as a proof of marriage.

Does marriage subsistence letter really needed if we are staying away only for 3-4 months? Not sure from where my company legal team has got this info.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Amit

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 2 General Dependent Visa - Marriage Subsistence Let

Post by moonlight55 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Home office do validate the marriage subsistence, especially if the couple has been staying apart for some time. There have been quite a few cases where the visa has been rejected due to lack of such proofs. There is no harm in submitting it.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Wed May 18, 2016 2:28 pm

What exactly is a marriage subsistence letter?
Or is it just a cover letter saying that I am inviting my wife and son to come to UK and live with me?

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Post by moonlight55 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Its a collection of documents which proves that your marriage is genuine and subsisting. Phone records (highlighting spouse's number), whatapp chat records, any other chat communication and so on. There is no definitive list. But all this will add weight to your application.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 am

moonlight55, thanks for the reply. I have asked regarding my case earlier which is under process. (http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 08968.html)
The friends I spoke to , they said that come on...having a baby together is a very big proof of marriage...but I am still worried since I did not even attempt to provide or elaborate on our relationships by providing phone call/whatsapp/skype etc. records...any comments? The cases I have seen on this forum are mostly those with only husband and wife...but having a child should make it more obvious to the person dealing with your application that it is a genuine case...is that a correct assumption?

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Post by moonlight55 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 am

I'll be a critic here. It's better to be safe than sorry. I've read a case here where the parents got their visa but the child did not. Please note that HO will go with documentation submitted and not by logical reasoning. End of the day, it will be your decision whether to submit the additional documents or not. My point is - What harm does it do to you to submit these?
There are two aspects that HO considers - "Genuine" marriage and "Subsisting" marriage.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the response. There is no harm in submitting extra documents, if only I had known prior to application :/ The homeoffice guidance document only talks about birth certificate for child and marriage certificate for partner in their documents required guidance for PBS...How difficult is it for them to add a line that they do require proof of subsistence in the required documents.. :(

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am

Just to update, Visa granted to both my son and wife :)
But given the amount of anxiety and concern, my advice to any others making their application is to submit further evidence of relationship (emails, pictures etc.) although the guidance documents do not talk about it..just to be sure..