ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to survive on one income with foreign spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jon.Mason

How to survive on one income with foreign spouse

Post by Jon.Mason » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi guys. Got myself into a bit of a mess lol.

I am on a 25k salary. After student loan and tax and NI deductions, I get say £1600. I may soon get a new job at 30k so can earn up to £1800 a month but unlikely to find anything better as of yet.

I have children from a previous marriage and pay £325 a month child maintenance.

I married recently a foreign national and we are expecting a child. I haven't sorted out a visa to UK yet.

Looking at first the visitor visa as cant afford 2 year spousal visa yet.

I am looking at how I will manage if we have a 1 bed flat and finances look tough. I need some advice on whether I can get any benefits or government help or if its all cut off due to no recourse to public funds.

Specifically I am looking at council tax benefit and child benefit when baby is born, plus tax credits. Me and baby will be british nationals, just wife who is foreign national.

My finances will look as follows. Really need some advice on how I can improve my finances.

Income: £1600

Expenses: £1400

Breakdown of Expenses:
£325 (child maintenance)
£450 (Rent)
£100 (Council Tax)
£100 (Energy)
£125 (phone and internet and mobile phones)
£100 (public transport for work etc)
£200 (food)

Remainder: £200

This means we will only be able to save £200 a month which wont give us enough time to save for spousal visa and we can kiss good bye to any treats, getting a car, holidays etc. I dont even currently have furniture for house like fridge, cooker, bed etc so have to furnish our house.

Any advice will be great. Advice on benefits, finances, immigration rules or advice regarding immigration, or any other advice or tips.

No comments like "you shouldn't have got married" or "you should have not got pregnant" since it doesn't help me with my current situation, I really love the woman and think it's outrageous I even have to struggle this hard considering the important work I actually do. I wonder how people survive on lower incomes TBH. Not a good system we live in. I refuse to accept marriage is a a luxury only some of the population with doctor or MP salaries should have. So no discussion on my life choices please. Just advice on how I can practically make the situation work with regards to immigration, benefits, finances etc and other useful advice and tips I can use to make my future planning.

noajthan

Re: How to survive on one income with foreign spouse

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:Hi guys. Got myself into a bit of a mess lol.

I am on a 25k salary. After student loan and tax and NI deductions, I get say £1600. I may soon get a new job at 30k so can earn up to £1800 a month but unlikely to find anything better as of yet.

I have children from a previous marriage and pay £325 a month child maintenance.

I married recently a foreign national and we are expecting a child. I haven't sorted out a visa to UK yet.

Looking at first the visitor visa as cant afford 2 year spousal visa yet.

I am looking at how I will manage if we have a 1 bed flat and finances look tough. I need some advice on whether I can get any benefits or government help or if its all cut off due to no recourse to public funds.

Specifically I am looking at council tax benefit and child benefit when baby is born, plus tax credits. Me and baby will be british nationals, just wife who is foreign national.

My finances will look as follows. Really need some advice on how I can improve my finances.

This means we will only be able to save £200 a month which wont give us enough time to save for spousal visa and we can kiss good bye to any treats, getting a car, holidays etc. I dont even currently have furniture for house like fridge, cooker, bed etc so have to furnish our house.

Any advice will be great. Advice on benefits, finances, immigration rules or advice regarding immigration, or any other advice or tips.

No comments like "you shouldn't have got married" or "you should have not got pregnant" since it doesn't help me with my current situation, I really love the woman and think it's outrageous I even have to struggle this hard considering the important work I actually do. I wonder how people survive on lower incomes TBH. Not a good system we live in. I refuse to accept marriage is a a luxury only some of the population with doctor or MP salaries should have. So no discussion on my life choices please. Just advice on how I can practically make the situation work with regards to immigration, benefits, finances etc and other useful advice and tips I can use to make my future planning.
Tell me about it!

Nightmare.
Can't see how anyone could manage on under 50K - particularly in SE England.

Think charity shops, eBay.

:idea: Child benefit in your name only is fine.

My understanding is you can claim means-tested benefits in joint names (WTC?) as you are entitled to. Best dig into that.

Housing association housing in your name is OK (I think).

See guidance on these matters:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... c-funds--2

:!: Be careful here - visitor visa may not be the best approach in your case.
Suggest open a new topic in more appropriate sub-forum to explore that question.

:idea: I would have said Surinder Singh route - but still trying to digest the overnight news coming from David Cameron & co out in Europe,

You may be interested to track this imminent court case on the family income level:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 03517.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks for your very useful response.

Always makes you feel a bit better when you have other people with you looking at an issue at least. Its quite a stressful situation for me. Do feel better reading responses from people when they are not judgmental and supportive and informative.

Regarding the Surinder Singh route, I think I should be ok for a UK spousal visa as I meet the requirements? What would be the advantage of using another EU country? Can I shorten the citizenship time period or get a cheaper visa for example?

I will open another thread and link to this thread to get advice on best possible visa route.

FYI Im British national living up north in Yorkshire so fairly cheap cost of living fortunately. Wife is Moroccan National. You are right about using charity shops etc for cheap stuff for house, will defo do that.

Ill take a look at the case you provided.

What is WTC?

Before I post, which section is relevant. I dont understand tier and non tier and cant see a spousal visa section, only business, student visa etc

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:Thanks for your very useful response.

Always makes you feel a bit better when you have other people with you looking at an issue at least. Its quite a stressful situation for me. Do feel better reading responses from people when they are not judgmental and supportive and informative.

Regarding the Surinder Singh route, I think I should be ok for a UK spousal visa as I meet the requirements? What would be the advantage of using another EU country? Can I shorten the citizenship time period or get a cheaper visa for example?

I will open another thread and link to this thread to get advice on best possible visa route.

FYI Im British national living up north in Yorkshire so fairly cheap cost of living fortunately. Wife is Moroccan National. You are right about using charity shops etc for cheap stuff for house, will defo do that.

Ill take a look at the case you provided.

What is WTC?

Before I post, which section is relevant. I dont understand tier and non tier and cant see a spousal visa section, only business, student visa etc
WTC is working tax credit.
Ref https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/overview

Well you are never alone in ImmigrationBoards, a 24*7 operation.

Feel free to post questions however daft or simple (or complex) they may seem.
Someone else has probably been in same situation before and may care to share.

You may get some 'short' answers, some unwanted answers, some jokers even -= but can usually find someone in the same boat;
- just take the rough with the smooth, after all you're from Yorkshire :wink:

For example, I've had to battle HO to get my non-EEA fiancee (now wife) & family into UK.
Depending how I count it, it took 7+ years & that was under the old (simpler) UK rules.

Whichever route you follow (EU or UK) you're looking at 5 years minimum to get your other half settled status;
as the spouse of a BC they don't have to then defer any citizenship application for a further 12 months (as the spouse of a non-BC would have to do).
Still allow for some delays, & also visa processing times so it could be 7+ years to citizenship.
Especially as you still have to get married.

Be prepared for a long haul.

Anyway, all bets may be off now for Surinder Singh - things are certainly changing in that area.
And HO was playing hard ball with its requirements on top of the 'pure' EU law even before this weekend's announcements.

SS is (well was!) a financially less-stringent route, with no language & LITUK requirements.
Plenty of fresh threads on that topic (& in the wider) WWW if you want to know more on that.

For family visa-related questions that would be:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... ly-members

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 pm

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:20 am

Apologies for confusion - I see my co-Moderator has redirected you back here (& this original post is now all in immigration for family sub-forum).

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:51 am

Jon.Mason wrote: I am on a 25k salary. After student loan and tax and NI deductions, I get say £1600. I may soon get a new job at 30k so can earn up to £1800 a month but unlikely to find anything better as of yet.

You won't get Working Tax Credits as your income is too high. The cut off (poverty level) for a couple is just over 18k. That is why the financial requirement was set at 18.6, slightly above poverty level for a couple..

Child Tax Credits - a little bit with a salary of 25k. The cut off is about 26k for one child in the house. You can't claim for your other children as their mother is their main carer. On a salary of 30k, then you will earn too much for CTC. As said, claim Tax Credits in both name.

Child benefit - yes, but as said, claim in your name only.

Council Tax Reduction - I think your 25k salary is too high for this but look on your council's website as they will have a calculator. When your wife moves in you will lose your 25% single person reduction on your council tax.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:17 am

Jon.Mason wrote:

Income: £1600

Expenses: £1400

Breakdown of Expenses:
£325 (child maintenance)
£450 (Rent)
£100 (Council Tax)
£100 (Energy) For a 1 bedroom flat? Have you looked for cheaper deals?
£125 (phone and internet and mobile phones) This is way too high. Look for cheaper deals.
£100 (public transport for work etc)
£200 (food) You can cut this.

Advice on benefits, finances, immigration rules or advice regarding immigration, or any other advice or tips.
Your wife will be able to work on a spouse visa. If she can't find a job that fits around your hours, then you might be able to claim up to 70% of your childcare costs visa Working Tax Credits, even if you won't get any money for WTC as your income is too high. The cost of childcare raises the cap (poverty level) for WTC.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:21 am

Damn they locked the other thread. Had hoped for some advice on best visa route to take.

I was thinking, I currently live in a Shared house. Would a room in a shared house count as suitable accommodation? We could live in a room for a few months as we still have a while to go before baby is born. Then costs would be lower. Is that classed as suitable accomodation?

I dont have money for a spousal visa yet so was looking at family visitor visa for 6 months and I dont think wife can work on that visa. Will it still stop me receiving single person discount etc?

You're right on phone bills, I can get that down. I'm not sure if I can get a 1 bed flat for less than £450, I am just applying for jobs so it depends if I have to relocate. Also depends if it has to be a 1 bed flat or if studio or shared house room is ok.

We are already married under her governments court system so I presume a legally translated document will be proof of our marriage?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:39 am

Jon.Mason wrote:Damn they locked the other thread. Had hoped for some advice on best visa route to take.

I was thinking, I currently live in a Shared house. Would a room in a shared house count as suitable accommodation? We could live in a room for a few months as we still have a while to go before baby is born. Then costs would be lower. Is that classed as suitable accomodation?

I dont have money for a spousal visa yet so was looking at family visitor visa for 6 months and I dont think wife can work on that visa. Will it still stop me receiving single person discount etc?

You're right on phone bills, I can get that down. I'm not sure if I can get a 1 bed flat for less than £450, I am just applying for jobs so it depends if I have to relocate. Also depends if it has to be a 1 bed flat or if studio or shared house room is ok.

We are already married under her governments court system so I presume a legally translated document will be proof of our marriage?
Highly unlikely a visit visa would be granted with a spouse in the UK. Remember also visits are 2/3 weeks, not 6 months, and no - cannot work.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:08 am

Petaltop wrote:£100 (Energy) For a 1 bedroom flat? Have you looked for cheaper deals?
£125 (phone and internet and mobile phones) This is way too high. Look for cheaper deals.
I'll start off by agreeing with Petaltop. My financial situation is not dissimilar to yours (apart from the child maintenance, but London rent is much higher) and I have managed, after research, to get my energy bills down to £35 and mobiles to practically nil (I call from either home or work and mobile is for receiving calls only). Broadband is my only luxury. I work in IT and my broadband has to meet certain standards for me to work efficiently. Even then, I am pushing it at £30 (including phone and line rental). So, that is just £65-70 compared to the £225 you have budgeted. There, you see, I have just freed up £150 of your budget. Damned, I should be Chancellor :D

Regarding the recognition of marriage under Moroccan law in the UK, Casa is our resident expert on Moroccan marriage law and I am sure she will advise you on that part of the conversation.

I agree with Wanderer that a visit visa is a bad idea. It is unlikely to be granted if she states that her husband is in the UK and will count as deception and refusal for all future applications if she does not state that material fact. Catch-22.

Now returning to your immigration question. From the thread, I have figured out that you are still looking for a job and that you live in a shared house. Is the shared house your family home or is it shared with friends?

I would say that you are an ideal candidate for the Surinder Singh route. You have practically no assets in the UK (thus making it easier for you to move the "center of your life"; no baggage, as it were) and would genuinely exercise treaty rights by working in another EU country.

Given that your wife is Moroccan, she likely understands either French or Spanish (or both). You could exercise treaty rights in Spain (have you considered Ceuta and Melilla?) and return back in time for the referendum in June, which is when the new deal is expected to be implemented. Even otherwise, you may decide to settle in Spain or France.

Bonne chance.
Last edited by secret.simon on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:10 am

And she would not be entitled to use the NHS as a visitor... she would need health insurance, which may not cover pregnancy related concerns.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:33 am

If you married under Moroccan legislation through the Moroccan Family Court and your divorce decree absolute had been granted at that time for your previous marriage, then it will also be considered to be legal under British law.

Personally, I would approach the idea of resorting to the Surinder Singh route for the time being, in light of the latest developments in Brussels.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... t-eu-rules
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:20 pm

I am currently working. I earn 25.5k but my contract expires at the end of may and will not be renewed. I work in the engineering sector and do feel fairly confident about finding something else before the end of may and Im hoping to get 30k although it may involve relocating somewhere more expensive, which offsets the pay increase, and i may end up stuck at 25k.

I live in a shared house with random stranger currently. I pay £320 a month rent including bills so able to use some of my spare income for building our future. I have debts so clearing those off, putting a bit away, can head over to morocco to see my wife, send her money for pregnancy related stuff and use money our future.

I was not married legally in my previous marriage so no divorce was required.

As I am above the threshold, what is the benefit of using that EU route? Would I need to relocate there or can I apply from UK? What documents do I need from Morocco? Can I just use an official moroccan translation of the arabic/french marriage document or does anything need approval from the british embassy there?

Thanks for your help guys, really helps having people help me think everything through and come up with a solid plan.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:33 pm

It's your wife who will be submitting the documents, You are her sponsor. Documents in Arabic or French should be officially translated into English.
Spouse settlement applications submitted in Rabat are now sent to Paris for processing and a decision.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I see. So any official translator in Morocco, for example the same ones I used for marriage before, can just translate to English and that will serve as our legal marriage papers for all future needs.

I didn't want to take the Surrinder Singh route as it would mean relocating to another country, and I do seem to meet the requirements for UK as I earn enough money and she speaks fluent english and we are legally married.

I just can't afford the £2000 required for NHS and visa application yet, and thought there was a 6 month visa that only costs £85 we could do in the mean time.

Is there any other routes I can take within the UK?

Can we have fiancee visa and get married in UK courts as well?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Getting her here on the visitor visa could be a lot more expensive in the long run - think thousands of pounds in healthcare for a pregnant woman (particularly if she was to deliver in the UK without access to NHS).

Fiance visas are expensive too and she is not eligible as she is already married!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:I see. So any official translator in Morocco, for example the same ones I used for marriage before, can just translate to English and that will serve as our legal marriage papers for all future needs. Correct

I didn't want to take the Surrinder Singh route as it would mean relocating to another country, and I do seem to meet the requirements for UK as I earn enough money and she speaks fluent english and we are legally married. Very wise

I just can't afford the £2000 required for NHS and visa application yet, and thought there was a 6 month visa that only costs £85 we could do in the mean time. Your wife doesn't qualify for this visa. You'r referring to a marriage visitor visa and you are already married

Is there any other routes I can take within the UK? No

Can we have fiancee visa and get married in UK courts as well? No, due to the fact that you are already legally married and you can't marry twice!
The visa fee + NHS surcharge isn't currently £2,000 (although visa fees will increase 6th April). At present they are £956 for the visa and £600 NHS surcharge.
FYI A fiance visa (had you qualified for one) would have cost you an additional £649 in visa fees, or £811 after 6.12.16 - minus £100 in NHS surcharge = + £549 or £711 :|
(Casa, not CR001)

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:24 pm

So my only route in UK basically is spousal visa?

How much are they going up by in April?

My landlord has a 1 bed flat. can he testify that he will let me have the 1 bed flat as soon as she is here or do i need to move in before visa application? or will a room in shared house do?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:So my only route in UK basically is spousal visa?

How much are they going up by in April?

My landlord has a 1 bed flat. can he testify that he will let me have the 1 bed flat as soon as she is here or do i need to move in before visa application? or will a room in shared house do?
Spouse settlement visa from £956 to £1,195 April 6th. The NHS surcharge @ £600 remains the same. Your landlord can confirm a tenancy from a specified date. Share accommodation depends greatly on how many are living in the property and would probably require a property inspection report to confirm no overcrowding.
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Space requirements for housing (for everybody, not just migrants) are laid out in Part X of the Housing Act 1985.

I am aware that you have discounted the SS route, but I would point out that visas for spouses of EEA citizens are supposed to be free (and no IHS either). The UK government charges £65 for them nonetheless. But they are a whole lot cheaper than the fees for spouses of British citizens. And if you do Surinder Singh, your spouse will come in as the spouse of an EEA citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Ok brilliant so that date can be in future so I dont have to rent unnecessarily for something bigger than i need now?

So I need a tenancy agreement dated in future, for a 1 bed flat, and an inspection report? these two documents will suffice for the housing element?

Who do I get the housing report from?

And what is the ideal date for the tenancy agreement? the same date I want the visa to commence from?

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:59 pm

secret.simon wrote:Space requirements for housing (for everybody, not just migrants) are laid out in Part X of the Housing Act 1985.

I am aware that you have discounted the SS route, but I would point out that visas for spouses of EEA citizens are supposed to be free (and no IHS either). The UK government charges £65 for them nonetheless. But they are a whole lot cheaper than the fees for spouses of British citizens. And if you do Surinder Singh, your spouse will come in as the spouse of an EEA citizen.
Secret Simon ok thats good to know. The only problem is relocating to Europe. Can I still live and work in UK and organise the SS route somehow? Or do I need to actually relocate somewhere else? So would involve looking at jobs in other EU countries?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Space requirements for housing (for everybody, not just migrants) are laid out in Part X of the Housing Act 1985.

Secret Simon ok thats good to know. The only problem is relocating to Europe. Can I still live and work in UK and organise the SS route somehow? Or do I need to actually relocate somewhere else? So would involve looking at jobs in other EU countries?
No mate, you need to 'shift your centre of life' basically move lock, stock and barrel to another state. It's not meant to be a backdoor, it was meant to assist those who have had to relocate fully.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Thats gonna be incredibly hard for me to do. I live in the same city as my kids from previous marriage at the moment. Moving to another country is gonna be really hard on them. obviously I have obligations to my wife as well but I think I'll use this as a last resort. I take it Scotland still comes under UK law? So nearest options are Ireland or France, spain, germany etc?

The cost and planning and finding a job for relocation is a major task. I could prob manage scotland