ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation refused on Language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sumatiya
Newly Registered

Naturalisation refused on Language requirement

Post by Sumatiya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Please Advice me in my below Case:
I got my ILR Last Year Nov-2014. After A Year i apply for Naturalisation on DEC-2015, i Have provide all Documents Correct and accurate as per required.
Soon i got reply From Home office stating That we are not satisfied with your (English) Language requirement. I have provide them a Valid Certificate of GESE Grade ESOL 5 entry level 3 B1 Test from Trinity London for this, and most important i got ILR on the same Certificate on Nov-2014. this completely wrong decision by home office (even as per policy person who applied after 0ct-2013 ILR is not required to submit English Language requirement for naturalization) i have no idea why my case refused as i hold no crimes no offences no documents fake or any other problems since last 11 years ..... please advice me ....

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation refused on Language requirement

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Sumatiya wrote:Hi Please Advice me in my below Case:
I got my ILR Last Year Nov-2014. After A Year i apply for Naturalisation on DEC-2015, i Have provide all Documents Correct and accurate as per required.
Soon i got reply From Home office stating That we are not satisfied with your (English) Language requirement. I have provide them a Valid Certificate of GESE Grade ESOL 5 entry level 3 B1 Test from Trinity London for this, and most important i got ILR on the same Certificate on Nov-2014. this completely wrong decision by home office (even as per policy person who applied after 0ct-2013 ILR is not required to submit English Language requirement for naturalization) i have no idea why my case refused as i hold no crimes no offences no documents bad quality or any other problems since last 11 years ..... please advice me ....
Do you have a copy of your application form?
- which questions did you answer relating to proof of English?

How did you apply - directly or via NCS?
Did you submit your ESOL certificate?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sumatiya
Newly Registered

Post by Sumatiya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm

yes i have send them on request by homeoffice...
i have select the option where is state not required if you apply ILR after Oct-2013 but the send me a reply saying you have not submitted the english certificate then i send them striaght away for this request. after month they say they r not satisfied with my language requirement
i have no idea and they have given me no reason for this (just saying not satisfied even i have been approved for ilr with same certificate)

Sumatiya
Newly Registered

Post by Sumatiya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:47 pm

also they have confirm that they've recieved my ESOL Documents and Life in UK Certificate..

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Sumatiya wrote:yes i have send them on request by homeoffice...
i have select the option where is state not required if you apply ILR after Oct-2013 but the send me a reply saying you have not submitted the english certificate then i send them striaght away for this request. after month they say they r not satisfied with my language requirement
i have no idea and they have given me no reason for this (just saying not satisfied even i have been approved for ilr with same certificate)
See forum FAQs on this vital matter - in particular Q8 a):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 98118.html

ILR2020
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2020 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Your English qualification previously used must be still on the register of approved test as transitional period finished in November 2015. Now it's SELT trinity college or SELT IELTS only.

It's business to print money for the test providers who lobby HO for changes. 10 mins and £200 later you have the required level. :mrgreen: :|

kyborg99

Post by kyborg99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:08 pm

noajthan wrote:
Sumatiya wrote:yes i have send them on request by homeoffice...
See forum FAQs on this vital matter - in particular Q8 a):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 98118.html
The FAQ 8a says 'If you have met the KoLL requirement when applying for settlement between 28-Oct-2013 and 11-Nov-2015 then these statements do not concern you. Ignore them!'

So the OP here did meet his KoLL requirement between Oct 2013 & Nov 2015 - so wy should this statement to apply to his case please?

My dependant wife used ESOL to get ILR on 02 Apr 2015 - does she need to give the assessment again - if yes where can we find a list of approved exams for her please.

Thanks,
kyborg

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:16 pm

kyborg99 wrote:...

The FAQ 8a says 'If you have met the KoLL requirement when applying for settlement between 28-Oct-2013 and 11-Nov-2015 then these statements do not concern you. Ignore them!'

So the OP here did meet his KoLL requirement between Oct 2013 & Nov 2015 - so wy should this statement to apply to his case please?

My dependant wife used ESOL to get ILR on 02 Apr 2015 - does she need to give the assessment again - if yes where can we find a list of approved exams for her please.

Thanks,
kyborg
Clearly that is what needs to be taken up with HO.

The specific questions ticked/checked by OP on the application form as submitted may be significant too.
Other members have reported the HO has not given the benefit of the doubt if they have answered the 'proof English' questions inappropriately.

Sumatiya
Newly Registered

Post by Sumatiya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes indeed .. MY ESOL certificate says SELT ...b1 of the CEFR Grade 5
Certificate issued 8-Aug-2014 (Trinity College London)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:30 pm

See this advice - your mileage may vary:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1297922

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Another good example of incompetence from HO. People spend a lot of money and get this unfair decision in the end. :x
*The gravity*

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Sumatiya, This looks like an error;

AS the AN Booklet at end of page 14
AN BOOKLET wrote: If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and
life in the UK for settlement, by applying on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to
demonstrate it again.

OR If someone can provide links on the forum if there are other similar refusals/?

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:30 pm

zunera mahmood wrote: Hi there ...can someone advise ..I have my appointment at NCS Tomm. . I'm confused about my English certificate ..I gave my English test certificate from trinity college London at the Manchester centre in December 2014 ..with that certificate I applied for my ilr on February 2015 ..
Will that Certificate be valid for my naturalisation application too ....what do I need to tick on the form ??
Please advise ..
I have replied in your thread. Please do not hijack someone else thread (post).

KA941

Post by KA941 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:02 am

This is Bizarre

see gov website

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

clearly says:

Applying for citizenship

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.
It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the current list of recognised tests. You don’t need to take another test.

My wife is due to apply for naturalisation on Monday and I am now thinking to postpone it do another test

I really feel sorry for you :(

SheetalKumari1985
Newly Registered

Post by SheetalKumari1985 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

This is very unfortunate for the couple for their application refused. I am planing to apply for my wife's citizenship and I am thinking to postpone due to recent case. Not sure what what happened to the other peoples results who applied after 18 November with ESOL? Not sure if there are other people whose application approved with ESOL or not considering the same case as for the couple?

Sandy_surrey
Newly Registered

Post by Sandy_surrey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi,

This has put doubt in my mind as well , I have an appointment next week for naturalisation and have ticked the option that I proved my English and life in UK after 2013 for ILR.

Not sure what to do as I have only week left for appointment but even on the UKBA website its mentioned even though the certificate is expired :
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a recognised English test qualification from an approved test centre.

You need to have a certificate to prove you have the qualification, or be able to view your results online.

You can only use English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications if they’re on the list. You can’t use other qualifications, eg GCSEs, A levels or National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs).

If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

Applying for citizenship

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the current list of recognised tests. You don’t need to take another test.

Applying to settle in the UK

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:

it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello all ..
Just to update I have a applied for my naturalisation application and passport application today at NCS. ..
The Lady there called up the home office to enquire about the English language requirement and they said I'm OK to apply work my current t certificate for which I used for my settlement ILR visa in Feb 2015. ..
And she said it's OK to proceed with the application. .she has also put a note on the application that she double checked it with the home office. .
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ..and hoping for the best. .
Will update my whole experience on the JCAP application post to ..
Thank you all for helping me out.

Regards
Zunera
zunera

SheetalKumari1985
Newly Registered

Post by SheetalKumari1985 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Zunera,

Which English test did you use recently for naturalisation application? Was it ESOL grade 3 by Pearson (exedel).? My wife is due to apply next week. Could you please share your views please?

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:08 am

SheetalKumari1985 wrote:Hi Zunera,

Which English test did you use recently for naturalisation application? Was it ESOL grade 3 by Pearson (exedel).? My wife is due to apply next week. Could you please share your views please?

Hi sheetalkumaari1985...
I applied using my previous english language certificate which is from trinity college London. ..of grade 5 B1 level ..I took this exam In December 2014 as I had to apply for ILR in Feb 2015...
I got my ILR APPROVED based on this certificate. .
So I have ticked where it says on the AN FORM section 1.23
Where it says I have previously satisfied my English language requirement as I applied for my settlement after 2013..

And I also double checked with the NCS Lady there. .she called the home office to confirm this ..

So I'm hoping for the best and keeping my fingers crossed .
I hope this helps in your case .

Regards
Zunera
zunera

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 am

zunera mahmood wrote:I got my ILR APPROVED based on this certificate. .
Where it says I have previously satisfied my English language requirement as I applied for my settlement after 2013..

Regards
Zunera
I think you mean Q1.22
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
If this is the case do not tick Q1.23 - it will be likely to confuse the caseworker who will then look for a SELT & SELT numbers :!:

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

noajthan wrote:
zunera mahmood wrote:I got my ILR APPROVED based on this certificate. .

Regards
Zunera
I think you mean Q1.22
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
If this is the case do not tick Q1.23 - it will be likely to confuse the caseworker who will then look for a SELT & SELT numbers :!:

Oh sorry my mistake. .I meant 1.22 ...where it says I have previously satisfied my English language requirement when appliedfor settlement after 2013..
Thanks noahjthan for correcting it..
zunera

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 am

zunera mahmood wrote:
noajthan wrote:If this is the case do not tick Q1.23 - it will be likely to confuse the caseworker who will then look for a SELT & SELT numbers :!:
Oh sorry my mistake. .I meant 1.22 ...where it says I have previously satisfied my English language requirement when applied for settlement after 2013..
Thanks noahjthan for correcting it..
Caseworkers have been known not to give any benefit of doubt and not to use much common sense.
Answering the wrong question (for your situation) or ticking an inappropriate/wrong option, even by honest mistake, can have serious consequences.

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

I'm positive I ticked section 1.22...as it was doUbley checked with the NCS Lady too ..twice. .so I'm pretty sure about it and I even submitted my English certificate along with it ..
zunera

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 am

zunera mahmood wrote:I'm positive I ticked section 1.22...as it was doUbley checked with the NCS Lady too ..twice. .so I'm pretty sure about it and I even submitted my English certificate along with it ..
I have the same case as yours but I applied on 22nd December and still waiting for the outcome. Lets see what I get and will let you know once I get anything...
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:41 am

UKBALoveStory wrote:
zunera mahmood wrote:I'm positive I ticked section 1.22...as it was doUbley checked with the NCS Lady too ..twice. .so I'm pretty sure about it and I even submitted my English certificate along with it ..
I have the same case as yours but I applied on 22nd December and still waiting for the outcome. Lets see what I get and will let you know once I get anything...
All the best for your application " UKBALOVESTORY"
Please keep me updated...did you apply under the JCAP Scheme. .and have you done with biometrics. .

Thanks
Regards
Zunera
zunera