ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change Name Immediately after getting First British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

prolife

Change Name Immediately after getting First British Passport

Post by prolife » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:25 am

I recently became British citizen, and first British passport is being processed by HMPO now.

My name is long and hard to pronounce, so I am thinking to change both forename and surname, after I get British passport.

1) After getting my first British passport in old name, can I immediately apply for new British passport with new name? I am concerned if HMPO will ask why am I applying again in few days AND why I didn't apply for first passport with new name?

2) I sent my Indian passport (which has old name) alongwith my application for first British passport. Do I need to send my Indian passport again, when I apply for British passport with new name? If yes, do I need to change my name on Indian passport too?

3) Do I need to change name on naturalisation certificate? By the way, what is the real use of naturalisation certificate after we get British passport?

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Change Name Immediately after getting First British Pass

Post by ohara » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:29 am

1) Not a problem, people do this fairly often.

2) You will need to change the name in your Indian passport first. HMPO will not issue a British passport in a different name to your valid foreign passport. Once you have changed name in the Indian passport, you will need to send that with your application for your new British passport.

3) No, and the Home Office will only change the name on a naturalisation certificate in exceptional circumstances, of which this is not one. You can apply for a new British passport by sending the naturalisation certificate along with the deed poll which confirms your change of name. The naturalisation certificate proves that you are a British citizen.

prolife

Post by prolife » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks Ohara.
For point number 2, you said, I need to change name in Indian passport. But I thought NO need to send Indian passport with my SECOND British passport application. I sent Indian passport with first British passport in old name.

India doesn't allow dual nationality, so technically I should return Indian passport to Indian embassy now. Do I have to wait for Indian passport cancellation (surrender) letter, before applying for second British passport with new name?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 am

prolife wrote:But I thought NO need to send Indian passport with my SECOND British passport application.
But you could have illegally (in Indian law) maintained a series of Indian passports, and changed your name in the latest.
prolife wrote:Do I have to wait for Indian passport cancellation (surrender) letter, before applying for second British passport with new name?
Yes. To be more precise, you will need that letter before you receive your new British passport.

prolife

Post by prolife » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Do I need to send Indian passport surrender (cancellation) letter along with my second British passport application? I can't find anywhere on Gov.uk website suggesting that I need to send this letter.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

Do not change names until you get your OCI (if you plan to apply for it). Your name cannot be changed on the Indian passport as you are no longer an Indian national and your Indian passport must be surrendered asap
Manka

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Do not change names until you get your OCI (if you plan to apply for it).
Manka10, Can you please explain why?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 pm

john353 wrote:
Do not change names until you get your OCI (if you plan to apply for it).
Manka10, Can you please explain why?
Changing names before completing the process is not advisable. E.g. HMPO will only issue a British passport as per the name in your foreign passport in that same way Indian Embassy may not issue OCI as names on Indian passport and British passport do not match. Better to change the name after the whole OCI process is completed and you receive your OCI card. Name changes later on are much easier than trying to justify why names don't match on Indian and foreign passports at the time of OCI application.
Manka

prolife

Post by prolife » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:34 pm

I don't need to apply OCI as all my close relatives are settled in UK, so no need to visit India.

Sorry if I am still confused, but my question is: Do I need to submit Indian passport surrender certificate when applying for new British passport showing new name?

Does HMPO specifically asks for a proof that I have submitted foreign passport? India anyways doesn't allow dual-nationality.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:28 pm

HMPO has got nothing to do with Indian passport formalities
Manka

prolife

Post by prolife » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 pm

prolife wrote:Do I have to wait for Indian passport cancellation (surrender) letter, before applying for second British passport with new name?

Yes. To be more precise, you will need that letter before you receive your new British passport.
Richard W, the information you gave is conflicting with Manka. You are saying, I need Indian passport surrender to apply for second british passport. But Manka is saying there is no need of that

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:47 am

prolife wrote:Richard W, the information you gave is conflicting with Manka. You are saying, I need Indian passport surrender to apply for second british passport. But Manka is saying there is no need of that
HMPO will know that you have had an Indian passport. They will want to be sure that you don't hold an Indian passport in a different name to your new British passport. If you do not submit an Indian passport to them, or evidence that you no longer hold one, they may do one of three things:
  1. Not check their records of what passports you have held before. (I think this is unlikely.)
  2. Believe that you have no longer have an Indian passport, because that is against Indian law. (I don't believe this will happen. I am sure there are people who break that Indian law; there are British passport holders who break the similar Malaysian law.)
  3. Remember the name in the Indian passport you last submitted, and refuse you a British passport in your new name because it is different.
This is consistent with Manka's statement that "HMPO has got nothing to do with Indian passport formalities".