ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stardust34
Newly Registered

Passport Application

Post by stardust34 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:12 am

Hello, I've recently been made a British Citizen and I wouldlike to apply for a british passport. I am no longer a citizen of the country where I originally came from but I still have an uncancelled passport. I guess my question is since my passport is no longer valid will it be considered as cancelled or do I still need to submit it with my british passport application?

Member of Standing

Re: Passport Application

Post by member » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:20 am

stardust34 wrote:Hello, I've recently been made a British Citizen and I wouldlike to apply for a british passport. I am no longer a citizen of the country where I originally came from but I still have an uncancelled passport. I guess my question is since my passport is no longer valid will it be considered as cancelled or do I still need to submit it with my british passport application?
Have you formally renounced your original citizenship?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:59 am

Cancelled passport is one that has been "formally cancelled / invalidated" by the issuing government (or its embassy in UK).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

stardust34
Newly Registered

Grandparent's details on british passport

Post by stardust34 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 am

please help! I am quite confused with filling in the british passport section where it says if both parents were born outside the uk, they alao need the grandparents details. I'm a naturalized citizen and my parents nor my grandparents doesn't have a claim to british citizenship, do i still need to include the details of my grandparents?

Malik44

Re: Grandparent's details on british passport

Post by Malik44 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 am

tripping

Post by tripping » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:53 am

stardust34 wrote:Hello, I've recently been made a British Citizen and I wouldlike to apply for a british passport. I am no longer a citizen of the country where I originally came from but I still have an uncancelled passport. I guess my question is since my passport is no longer valid will it be considered as cancelled or do I still need to submit it with my british passport application?
Best thing to do is just submit both cancelled (expired, corners cut etc) and current passports of your country of origin to ease any doubt on any interpretation - they will be returned to you anyway. I submitted my expired Aussie passport (corners cut), as it had my original UK entry date along with current Aussie passport. No harm in doing that. Saves me having to agonise over faffing around - should I, shouldnt I etc.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 am

Read the guidance (and the thread linked above).

Grandparents details are not required for naturalised citizens.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 am

ohara wrote:Read the guidance (and the thread linked above).

My partner had to provide grandparents details for passport app.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sanjaywakhare

Post by sanjaywakhare » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:07 am

Wanderer wrote:

Hi Wanderer,
Was your partner also naturalized? Who asked you partner to fill in those details? (Was it the officer at the post office?) I had left Grandparents section empty and the application was successful. Normally Grandparents details are only required if citizenship is acquired by descent.

Grandparents details has nothing to do on passport application when citizenship is acquired viz registration/naturalization.

Normally officers at the post-office sometimes do ask to fill in Grandparents section because they themselves are not fully aware of the rules (at time at some post-offices)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:48 am

sanjaywakhare wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Hi Wanderer,
Was your partner also naturalized? Who asked you partner to fill in those details? (Was it the officer at the post office?) I had left Grandparents section empty and the application was successful. Normally Grandparents details are only required if citizenship is acquired by descent.

Grandparents details has nothing to do on passport application when citizenship is acquired viz registration/naturalization.

Normally officers at the post-office sometimes do ask to fill in Grandparents section because they themselves are not fully aware of the rules (at time at some post-offices)

She was naturalised.

I understood it was required to form a basis for interview questions later. We included Gramps details because at the time passports apps were being returned if this info wasn't included, was about 18 months ago.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....