ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received PR card last year but partner stopped work

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kaalo1980

Received PR card last year but partner stopped work

Post by Kaalo1980 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:27 am

Hi dear forum members
I received my PR card last year but my partner stopped work and started claiming benefits. Is it gonna affect our naturalisation application this year??
Thanks

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Received PR card last year but partner stopped work

Post by ohara » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

There is no need to continue exercising treaty rights once you have PR. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation and claiming benefits which you are entitled to will not affect the application.

Kaalo1980

Post by Kaalo1980 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:28 pm

ohara wrote:There is no need to continue exercising treaty rights once you have PR. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation and claiming benefits which you are entitled to will not affect the application.

Thank you very much
Was worried abt it

Diana15

Post by Diana15 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:31 pm

ohara wrote:There is no need to continue exercising treaty rights once you have PR. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation and claiming benefits which you are entitled to will not affect the application.
If it's not a requirement to have a work for naturalisation, why in AN form is question about current employment with no option to choose - unemployed :)
And from guide I understand that for them is important that you are paying income tax and national insurance contributions...

Kaalo1980

Post by Kaalo1980 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Diana15 wrote:
If it's not a requirement to have a work for naturalisation, why in AN form is question about current employment with no option to choose - unemployed :)
And from guide I understand that for them is important that you are paying income tax and national insurance contributions...
U mean if u stop work you are not eligible for AN???

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Diana15 wrote:
The privilege of citizenship is not a work visa.

The AN form is ill-thought out, poorly designed and yet is expected to be used by many people in all kinds of different circumstances.

You may not understand the form or the logic behind the options you find there.
It doesn't change the fact that employment is not necessary in order to be naturalised.

If someone is not employed then no need to over-think it.
Just leave all those work-related options blank! (That's what my wife did).
Simples.

However if someone does happen to work then clearly HO are interested to see if tax/NI has been paid, that it was legal work and no previous visa conditions were violated (etc etc).
So those types of questions are more about helping a caseworker to determine an applicant's 'good character' rather than about any interest in what someone's job happens to be.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Diana15

Post by Diana15 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 pm

noajthan wrote:
Diana15 wrote:
The privilege of citizenship is not a work visa.

The AN form is ill-thought out, poorly designed and yet is expected to be used by many people in all kinds of different circumstances.

You may not understand the form or the logic behind the options you find there.
It doesn't change the fact that employment is not necessary in order to be naturalised.

If someone is not employed then no need to over-think it.
Just leave all those work-related options blank! (That's what my wife did).
Simples.

However if someone does happen to work then clearly HO are interested to see if tax/NI has been paid, that it was legal work and no previous visa conditions were violated (etc etc).
So those types of questions are more about helping a caseworker to determine an applicant's 'good character' rather than about any interest in what someone's job happens to be.
Thanks for your answer. I didn't know about it...
So if employed but don't pay tax and NI because earn too little, it's not a problem?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Diana15 wrote:...

Thanks for your answer. I didn't know about it...
So if employed but don't pay tax and NI because earn too little, it's not a problem?
No, can't see why it would be.
If someone was working and paying all expected dues (including any tax & NI), however big or small, then that is all that is expected.
(Assuming the work is legal and compatible with any previous visa ofcourse).

If someone is not working then they are equally welcome to apply for citizenship - just as my wife was able to do.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:08 pm

There are many joint applicants (Spouse) who never worked in UK but got there Naturalisation.
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================