ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC : Absence more than 450 days

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilruk2016
Mood:
India

BC : Absence more than 450 days

Post by ilruk2016 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Hello All,

Myself and my wife received ILR in April 2016 and we are looking to get our passport done in the next 12 months. But there is a worry for my wife’s application as her absence is almost near to 439 days in the last 5 years (counting from April 2017) and this is purely because of health reasons for which she has submitted health documents whilst applying for her settlement, case worker has considered her condition and approved her ILR. But I think for BC I got to know that Home office is lot stricter when compared with settlement applications. So in this scenario is that wise to plan a 3 week holiday which is shooting up her absence to more than 450 days ? Need some suggestions if any one has succeeded with this kind of scenario and also worried as she cannot apply for further 10 years if her application gets rejected.

Thanks, AK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BC : Absence more than 450 days

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:28 pm

worried as she cannot apply for further 10 years if her application gets rejected.
Really? Where did you hear this?

I suppose the choice is your wife's and depends on how risk averse you are on losing the fee (which will go up before you apply).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 pm

If hubby naturalises first then wife can apply as spouse of BC under section 6(2) of BNA - for which residency is assessed over 3 years; absence limit is 270 days over 3 years.
May be worth digging into.

Otherwise caseworker has a degree of discretion in this area (whether over 3 or 5 or more years) - suggest crosscheck again with the AN guidance notes.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm

See also Annex B: residence requirements -> 4. Excess absences in the 5(3) year qualifying period
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ilruk2016
Mood:
India

Post by ilruk2016 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:31 am

CR001 wrote:
worried as she cannot apply for further 10 years if her application gets rejected.
Really? Where did you hear this?

I suppose the choice is your wife's and depends on how risk averse you are on losing the fee (which will go up before you apply).
thanks CR001, I was in impression once BC application rejected applicant cant re-apply for the next 10 years. I understand am wrong in that conclusion and needs to be prepared to loose the application fee.
If hubby naturalises first then wife can apply as spouse of BC under section 6(2) of BNA - for which residency is assessed over 3 years; absence limit is 270 days over 3 years.
May be worth digging into.

Otherwise caseworker has a degree of discretion in this area (whether over 3 or 5 or more years) - suggest crosscheck again with the AN guidance notes.
This something we are looking in to Noajthan, I will look in to AN guidance in more detail.
See also Annex B: residence requirements -> 4. Excess absences in the 5(3) year qualifying period

Thanks Geriatrix for directing me towards this guidance. It is now clear for us to some extent and my wife has decided not to travel as she don't want to take any chances with her BC application.

Cheers,
AK

ilruk2016
Mood:
India

Post by ilruk2016 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi,

Its just a continuation of my previous question about absence more than 450 days. My wife have not travelled as we don't want to risk. One thing I would like to clarify is about her away stay of 439 days, is this under the threshold for a 5 year route BC? I have gone through the Annex B: residence requirements but thought to confirm the same in this forum to clarify my understanding is correct? If she is not under the threshold I am planning to submit her health documents which lead to her long stay away from the country.

Your reply will help us to file her BC with appropriate details.

Thanks in advance
AK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 pm

439 days is under the threshold.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ilruk2016
Mood:
India

Post by ilruk2016 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:04 am

CR001 wrote:439 days is under the threshold.
Thanks for this clarification CR001

AK

RRSB2012

Post by RRSB2012 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 am

Hi Ilruk and Seniors,
Please allow me to share my experience with you regarding the absences, this might be something new.
My absences in last 5 years are total 477 days (459 days Business + 19 days Personal).
I have an appointment booked this week with NCS for naturalisation application. While booking the appointment, Council registrar asked a few questions, one of the question was absences in last 5 years. When I told her 477 days, she had a pause .... and I said they are still under 480 days (sighting excess of 30 days would normally be disregarded) and they were majorly business related. She asked me to get a letter from the Company certifying the business travels.

So in a nutshell, I would say you did great by keeping it under 450 days limit. Unfortunately I didn't had a choice as travel is a part of my job. I am a bit concerned about my travel but I really hope I get through.

Hope this is helpful for you and others.
Best regards
R