ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship refusal - possible criminal record

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ali234
Newly Registered

Citizenship refusal - possible criminal record

Post by Ali234 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:13 am

Hi everyone

I think I have a complicated matter.

I am Pakistani citizen and have never violated any single immigration rule and have never had any issues related to tax etc. never worked self-employed etc

I got ilr based on long residence in 2015 and on feb 11 2016, I applied for my citizenship application. Biometrics were done on 22nd feb and still I have not heard anything. Many who have applied in feb and even in march have already got their approvals.

I think the problem is in relation to a possible criminal record.

Let me explain you what happened:

In June 2011, my flat mate went to Sainsbury and he had my debit card (it’s a long story why he was using my debit card that day).

He tried stealing something and the guard in Sainsbury store caught him. However he scuffled out of Sainsbury and disappeared but the guard took the debit card while he was trying to get out of the store he came home and told me he had lost my card so I ordered a new one and reported that as lost.

6 months later he told me about this incident in Sainsbury and my debit card and then I unravelled my relationship with him

One year later in July 2012 I requested a police certificate from acro and it came as No Trace.

I have never been contacted by police or anyone else in relation to that Sainsbury incident

I got ilr pretty easily

Is it possible I have a criminal record because my debit card was dropped there in Sainsbury and the guard picked it up?

Should I worry about this?

plz help

Arsal385
Member of Standing

Re: Citizenship refusal - possible criminal record

Post by Arsal385 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Your AN application should not potentially be refused based on this issue.

Have you declared this issue in the additional information page of your AN application?

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu May 26, 2016 2:40 pm

If you have never been contacted by anyone then chances are they treated the card he dropped as stolen, otherwise you would have heard from the police. If your carb check came back clean I don't see how mentioning this could do anything other than confuse the issue / throw suspicion on you

Ali234
Newly Registered

Post by Ali234 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi

Yes I did not declare this on my form and no one has ever contacted me about this

I am just worried that they might have put a criminal record on my name because my debit card was found there

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu May 26, 2016 2:49 pm

You're worrying unnecessarily.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Ali234 wrote:Hi

Yes I did not declare this on my form and no one has ever contacted me about this

I am just worried that they might have put a criminal record on my name because my debit card was found there
This happened 5 years ago. If you haven't heard from anyone about this by now I can't see why anyone would suddenly give you a criminal record.

A lot of thieves / attempted thieves get caught with wallets or credit / debit cards on their person which aren't their own so unless you have been contacted by the police or the store it isn't possible for you to suddenly have a record for this.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:05 pm

It would be impossible for you to have a criminal record without you knowing about it.

If you had been caution by the police about it this would stay active for 5 years and then be spent but would show up on your record for life. But as you have not been to the police station or a criminal court then it is safe to say you do not have a criminal record.