ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born after 1983 - Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

matkirk
Newly Registered

Born after 1983 - Question

Post by matkirk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:59 am

Hi all,

My mother was born in Tanzania (which was a British Mandated Territory at the time) in 1946 to UK born parents and was a British citizen (CUKC) from birth. I was successful in my UKM application for British citizenship (I was born in 1976 in South Africa). However my sister was born after 1983 (also in SA) so cannot claim via the UKM route as I did. I do know that those born overseas after 1983 to a UK born mother can claim citizenship automatically. I'm just not sure about those born after 1983 to non-UK born British mothers as my sister was. From what I've read on various websites it's a bit confusing...some say UK born mother while others just say British mothers. Any advice? Does my sister qualify? Thanks 8)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Born after 1983 - Question

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 am

Not sure she does qualify. But she can get a UK Ancestry visa if her grandparents are British born.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 am

You should ask the previous law firm that you used for your UKM successful application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:35 am

I thought about that but, even though I was happy with what they did for me, they'll just ask me to apply and pay for another investigation! lol! :roll: I suppose no harm in asking though! 8)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:45 am

As your UKM was successful, I would have thought that your sister may automatically be British via your mother.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:49 am

Well what do you know, I sent a quick email to them and this is what they said:

"It depends on independence arrangements of the country that they were born to.
Some yes and some no."

Still no wiser. Lol!