ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Character Check fail

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fazza16
Newly Registered

Character Check fail

Post by fazza16 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:12 pm

-arrived unaccompanied aged 13 ,(2002) claimed asylum and been here ever since , never held a passport before and never left UK ,I applied for BC in Feb 2016 and got my docs returned May2016, however I got arrested for Drink driving and pleaded guilty then HO caught wind and have recently sent me a letter asking me if it was me who was arrested and should send a copy from police or crown prosecution stating that that case has been drop. I cant get this now as I am guilty ,and have been banned already , what are my options now kind people as I have waited a long long time for this ? Just a silly mistake really at nearly the end of the journey :( thanks

noajthan

Re: Character Check fail

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:20 pm

fazza16 wrote:-arrived unaccompanied aged 13 ,(2002) claimed asylum and been here ever since , never held a passport before and never left UK ,I applied for BC in Feb 2016 and got my docs returned May2016, however I got arrested for Drink driving and pleaded guilty then HO caught wind and have recently sent me a letter asking me if it was me who was arrested and should send a copy from police or crown prosecution stating that that case has been drop. I cant get this now as I am guilty ,and have been banned already , what are my options now kind people as I have waited a long long time for this ? Just a silly mistake really at nearly the end of the journey :( thanks
It seems you have blown it. There's no appeal right.

You can get into the head of the caseworker who decided your case, here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf

See sections 4.1, 4.2 - and section 8.

Depending on your conviction and sentence there may be a lifeline in section 8.3 if...
the failure to disclose was unintentional and concerned a one-off non-custodial sentence or out of court disposal
If this applies to you you could try for a reconsideration.
Otherwise you face a 10-year ban.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:28 am

I applied for BC in Feb 2016 and got my docs returned May2016, however I got arrested for Drink driving and pleaded guilty then HO caught wind and have recently sent
Did you get arrested for drink and drive after your docs returned in May 2016 with a decision?

fazza16
Newly Registered

Post by fazza16 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:04 pm

oh ok , damn it , its my first ever conviction and I got the letter afteri had been to court already. They are basically saying I should write to them saying the case was dropped , which wasn't...? should I bother replying ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:27 pm

fazza16 wrote:oh ok , damn it , its my first ever conviction and I got the letter afteri had been to court already. They are basically saying I should write to them saying the case was dropped , which wasn't...? should I bother replying ?
You may also have been refused due to 'deception' - lack of notification; (see section 8 of above document).

As shown above, as per the discretion that may be possible (not guaranteed), your one chance seems to be to explain why you did not notify the authorities & that it was a one-off and out-of-character offence (if it was).
The outcome also depends on the sentence you received.

fazza16
Newly Registered

Post by fazza16 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:00 pm

thank you , yes thats what I was thinking of doing , I received 12months -9months (D.Drive Rehab) and 190 fine , and havent had any problems before with the law , so its possible to write and explain and hope for the best correct?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:04 pm

fazza16 wrote:thank you , yes thats what I was thinking of doing , I received 12months -9months (D.Drive Rehab) and 190 fine , and havent had any problems before with the law , so its possible to write and explain and hope for the best correct?
That's all you can do in the circumstances.

You'll have to pay for the reconsideration.
As there's no appeal rights, reconsideration is normally focused on righting administrative errors and omissions by the HO/caseworker.
So that may be the angle to take rather than 'appealing' for forgiveness.

You may need to seek professional advice.
Be aware there's no set timeline for reconsiderations (it could take a year or more to process).

Good luck.

fazza16
Newly Registered

Post by fazza16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi there ,thank you for your previous advice. I have just received the bad news that HO would normally not grant citizenship to a person who has been

Convicted of a non custodial offence or caution in the last 3 years.

It further states that drink driving is an offence that they would normally disregard nor find grounds to disregard it exceptionally outside (our published policy) they cant satisfy that good character is met there the application has been refused and any application before 27may2019 will likely fail. Prior to that I had replied to them to state that I was experiencing a turmoil in my life leading to the offence..

Now a few questions , what do you think I can do now?
letter says can apply for reconsideration ,what are the chances of reconsideration being successful? do I engage a solicitor and MP etc? I dont mind waiting even if it takes 2 years..

Thanks again

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:02 pm

fazza16 wrote:letter says can apply for reconsideration ,what are the chances of reconsideration being successful?
Zero. Drink driving is a serious criminal offence which can actually lead to a custodial sentence.

The best case scenario is that HO have not imposed a 10 year ban for deception, and you can re-apply after 3 years has elapsed since your conviction.