ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Success Story for tax deception?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adeelishaq786

Success Story for tax deception?

Post by adeelishaq786 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi Guys,
I know a lot of us suffering from refusals "deception/deceiving re tax". Read quite a few people where applying for AR/JR, but have not heard of any success story as yet or anyone who went for hearing @JR what response they had. Just creating this post to see if anyone had their JR or got a success for far, where applicant had deception/Deceive refusal for missing a tax. As myself and many others are in same boat would be helpful.

sadi952
Newly Registered

Re: Success Story for tax deception?

Post by sadi952 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:10 pm

HI Guys

I applied for ILR at Sheffield PEO on 28th April Although tax amendments were completed and all tax was fully paid before applying ILR but still got refusal under 322 (5), AR refused on 31st of May 2016, Applied for JR on 14th June, Got acknowledgement letter from HO on 20th June, that they have received my JR bundle, now all documents (basis for JR) with GLD, don't know how long they will take to reply on it and when permission will be granted, My Solicitor said it will take sometime for JR, may be 6months ,,,

Please share your experience with JR

Thanks
Sadi

adeelishaq786

Post by adeelishaq786 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:35 am

hi mate,
am in same boat, i did self employment for only 2 months, 2011 whereas i was doing my perm jobs on PAYE, didnt realise abaout SA's. So i had only 2 months missing which is around £1800 so got refusal, have applied to get my SA's updated, i was told same by my solicitor, that AR's be 99% refusal, JR's takes 4-6 months.
Sadly i can't pm you as am still less then 30 pm's would be nice to speak with you.

jibon

Post by jibon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:03 am

Hi Guys,
I have seen lots of tax deception? post in this forum. Every body just asking for others information but none of them providing the update.

Yes JR will take 3-6 months.

Keep update, it will help others peoples.

outhector
Newly Registered

Post by outhector » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 am

sadi952 wrote:HI Guys

I applied for ILR at Sheffield PEO on 28th April Although tax amendments were completed and all tax was fully paid before applying ILR but still got refusal under 322 (5), AR refused on 31st of May 2016, Applied for JR on 14th June, Got acknowledgement letter from HO on 20th June, that they have received my JR bundle, now all documents (basis for JR) with GLD, don't know how long they will take to reply on it and when permission will be granted, My Solicitor said it will take sometime for JR, may be 6months ,,,

Thanks
Sadi
Hi please explain more as I have done amendment as wel and going to Sheffield what was your source of income in last 5 years job or self employed thanks

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:21 am

Dear adeelishaq786,
I have got my ILR refused due to late submission of tax for the year 2012-13,
The late submission was submitted before going to ILR,
I have given enough clarification on why I was late, HO is not bothered about the fact that I am late in filing the tax but they have put 322(5) General ground for refusal on me for not providing reasons for late submission, (though i have mentioned in my cover letter) and in the Questionnaire provided on the date of in-person application,
Even If I have not submitted any reasons for late tax returns, HO could not refuse my application on this ground as they need to ask for any additional reasons/documents/evidences as per their acceptance to practice Evidential Flexibility Policy,
I will succeed in my case as HO have not practiced Evidential Flexibility Policy, And it is a breach of conduct on HO's part,
In recent times Home office and its presenting officers are being heavily criticized for failing to bring the Evidential Flexibility Policy in practise,
I am going to file my Admin Review next week and will give an update on it,
I am not concerned even for a bit of loosing this case, As I know HO have no answer to break their 'Breach of Evidential Flexibiltiy Policy set by Home office in December 2014 if not later,
Kind Regards,
Anan
If Not We, Then Who?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am

teddy0409 wrote:.... 322(5) General ground for refusal on me for not providing reasons for late submission, (though i have mentioned in my cover letter)...
They probably found that your reasons were unacceptable, not that you didn't give them any reasons.
teddy0409 wrote:Even If I have not submitted any reasons for late tax returns, HO could not refuse my application on this ground as they need to ask for any additional reasons/documents/evidences as per their acceptance to practice Evidential Flexibility Policy,
I think maybe you are attributing too much power to the policy of EFP. It doesn't suggest that the case worker can't refuse an application or must employ EFP in every application. It says that a case worker has some flexibility in asking for reasonable corrections, obviously missing documentation, and even allowing for late supporting additions to some applications (You see this with the citizenship applications and English tests). There is however no requirement that a case worker do any of this. If they decide to follow the rule book and guidance to the letter, and base their decision on just that alone, then that is all that is required of them. EFP does not come into consideration.
teddy0409 wrote: I will succeed in my case as HO have not practiced Evidential Flexibility Policy, And it is a breach of conduct on HO's part,
In recent times Home office and its presenting officers are being heavily criticized for failing to bring the Evidential Flexibility Policy in practise,
I am not concerned even for a bit of loosing this case, As I know HO have no answer to break their 'Breach of Evidential Flexibiltiy Policy set by Home office in December 2014 if not later,
Kind Regards,
Anan
Well maybe you can succeed in changing the spirit and intention of EFP. Good luck. I recommend you plan for all contingencies however.

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Dear Ouflak1,
Thanks for your time you have dedicated to reply this post,
Yes, I fully accept your suggestion and will make my admin review accordingly,
----They probably found that your reasons were unacceptable, not that you didn't give them any reasons---------
The Case worker have said in her letter of refusal as follows,
"You have provided no explanations as to why your self assessment return for the period 2012 to 2013 was only submitted on 07 April 2016" which indicates that she has been negligent and or ignorant in looking in to the reasons I have provided,
(I have provided the reason in my cover letter and also in the Q.10 of the Questionnaire submitted to HO during the In-Person application)
(I have been refused ILR in General grounds paragraph 322(5) of the immigration rules for late submission of the tax for the year 2012-13)
Because HO have accused my Character and Conduct, I have various several elements to prove that I am a person with a good character and conduct through out my life and especially for the last 10 years of UK life.
One of the elements for my defense is" Evidential Flexibility Policy",
I know my local MP very well and I am going to seek my local MP's letter, stating that I am a person of good character and conduct even I have made a late submission,
I have recently filed a 'Freedom of Information' request with regarding to
(1)
"How and when the 'Evidential Flexibility Policy' is applied during anILR application processing by a case worker in LIVERPOOL PEO"
(2)
If a person is accused of not a good character and conduct, How long this accusation will stay for?
For example, If a person is convicted in the courts for an offense, He or she will be cleared from the convicted record in X amount of years,
(3)
What is the Good character requirement for obtaining the 'British Nationality', (If there is no mention about late submission of tax in 'Good Character' requirement, Then in what way obtaining ILR is more complicated than obtaining the Citizenship itself?)
Will keep you posted about my case update as it will be useful to our fellow applicants,
Kind Regards,
Anan
If Not We, Then Who?

kirankhalil75

Post by kirankhalil75 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:42 pm

HI teddy0409

Very sorry about your refusal, could you please share the following

which PEO you went ?

is your ILR application based on Employment/Self Employment or Both ?

in 2012/13, were you self employed or Director of Ltd Company etc ? and when did you paid CT tax ?

did you submit your SA302 with your application or they require you to submit ?

Also when they give you self employment questioner ?

did case woker meet you ? any interview or question were asked ?

Thanks

kiran

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Dear Kirankhalil75,
Sure, I should able to share my experience in ILR Application,

is your ILR application based on Employment/Self Employment or Both ?
Based on Employment and Self Employment

in 2012/13, were you self employed or Director of Ltd Company etc ? and when did you paid CT tax ?
Self Employed, Tax filed on 07 April 2016, Had an arrangement to HMRC for monthly payment through Direct Debit, Visa applied on 27 May 2016

did you submit your SA302 with your application or they require you to submit ?
Yes, I did submit last five years SA302, Which I received from HMRC, Just before my visa application

Also when they give you self employment questioner ?
The Questionnaire was given during the process of application submission to the case worker

did case woker meet you ? any interview or question were asked ?

Yes, She was just in from of me and asked few questions about my 2011/12 tax returns and 2012/13 tax returns, Such as...
"You have mentioned in the Questionnaire that you are also Director of a limited company, May I know whether you have shown this LTD company earnings in your previous visa application?" and I said
"NO, My previous visa applications were based on my Sole trader (Self Employed) income and not from my LTD Company"
"When the 2012/13 account was filed?" - Filed on 7th April 2016

Hope this helps
Kind Regards,
Anan
If Not We, Then Who?

kirankhalil75

Post by kirankhalil75 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:59 pm

HI

Thanks for reply.

You have stated that your were self employed, so you must have UTR Number or not ?

May i know when did you applied for UTR Number ?

also what was your income threshold ?

which PEO you went ?

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Anan.. you are the first person who seems very confident.
Just of of curiosity, if your AR is refused, i think u would want to go for JR. Are u aware u are not allowed to work during that time and it is likely to take over 6 months nowadays..

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Dear iWorker,
Yes, I am aware it will take 6 months or even longer for a court decision.
I have a partnership company which runs two convenience stores to support my outgoings with out the need to go to work,
Three years before I was in full time job and challenging HO through JR could be a difficult decision.
This is the right time to challenge HO as I will not relied on working/self employed income for atleast next one year..
If Not We, Then Who?

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:55 pm

kirankhalil75 wrote:HI

Thanks for reply.

You have stated that your were self employed, so you must have UTR Number or not ?

May i know when did you applied for UTR Number ?

also what was your income threshold ?

which PEO you went ?
Dear Kirankhalil75,
Yes we must have informed with HMRC and received with three months of trading, I have received UTR in OCT 2016, Where I have contacted HMRC about start of self employment in JUNE2016(Income threshold £51000
If Not We, Then Who?

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Sorry please read as OCTOBER 2015 and JUNE 2015
If Not We, Then Who?

sadi952
Newly Registered

Post by sadi952 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:32 pm

outhector wrote:

Thanks
Sadi
Hi please explain more as I have done amendment as wel and going to Sheffield what was your source of income in last 5 years job or self employed thanks
Hi Outhector
Amendments were only for year 2010-10
Source of income for 2010-11 = employed + self employed

Extension= 2013 (employment + director limited company)

ILR =2016 (only employment)

Reason of refusal: they said you made amendments few days just before applying ILR which indicates you done this to get visa only ,,,,,,,,, 322 (5) general grounds on character and conduct ,,,,,,,,,

Surprisingly HO made mistake while information from HMRC on initial decision which i made a base in AR, However they corrected their mistake and but maintain their refusal in AR too.

The most impressive thing is they can make mistake and can correct as well when we highlight after giving them fee too but they are not ready to accept our mistakes,,,,,

Anyway Have applied for JR now

Lets see how it goes

Thanks
Sadi

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

teddy0409 wrote:"How and when the 'Evidential Flexibility Policy' is applied during anILR application processing by a case worker in LIVERPOOL PEO"
A bit of history. Before the EFP policy came into being, there were many many complaints by both case workers and applicants that some applications couldn't be decided rationally because of the strict nature of the interpretation of the rules in place.

From the case worker's perspective:
  • 1. Simple errors such as name misspellings or a small but critical line not filled in, meant they had to refuse the application, sometimes painfully knowing full well that this could lead to devastating situations for the applicant.

2. Much more rarely, situations where you, me, and anybody else with any common sense whatsoever could see that the applicant should not be granted leave or entry, but because of the rigidness of the decision process, they had to approve the application anyway.

3. Straightforward applications having bloated and confusing amounts of documentation supplied with them making it difficult, and at times impossible, to sort out the basic details that were needed to actually make a decision.
That was all exacerbated by the fact that the rules didn't allow for 'new evidence' in the appeals, leading to mystifying (and costly for the government) drawn-out cases for trivial issues with an application.

From the applicant's perspective:
  • 1. Simple mistakes causing costly, sometimes idiotic refusals.

2. Having evidence on hand, literally available instantly if so requested, yet not being able to present it.

3. Unrealistically intense pressure to ensure that an application was absolutely perfect and fail safe, leading to situations where loads of useless, sometimes counter productive, evidence was supplied with otherwise very straightforward applications.
One of the responses to these complaints and glaring problems was the Evidential Flexibility Policy. It allowed case workers to request for correct details, ask for supplementary evidence, and give the applicant some small window to sort out readily fixable problems. It released the case worker from the pressure of rigid inflexible rules deciding a case instead of common sense. Obviously it allowed applicants to quickly fix any problem in a reasonable manner. This has been a blessing for everybody IMO.

There were other pressures at work here, most notably the overwhelming number of appeals that simply had to be reduced by any means as they were clogging up the system, making it difficult for everybody. But that's perhaps a side story.

The point is that EFP was never meant to be yet another draconian enforced policy that had to be applied to all applications no matter how complicated they might be. Indeed that would be a contradiction to the whole spirit of EFP! And tax issues can get messy... quick. I dare say that this is well outside the original scope of EFP. Hence the recommendations by moderators on this board that some unsuccessful applicants challenge the government in court to prove implications of dishonesty, especially when it obvious that they've got a case. That kind of challenge truly allows an applicant to really make their case.

I don't want to dissuade you. But I think that if you were hoping that EFP was meant to immediately give an applicant free reign to sort out any application, that potentially has any myriad of very complicated issues, as they saw fit, you might not get the result you are hoping for. EFP was meant for the accidentally forgotten LITUK test result or a missing digit off the end of a credit card number. It was not meant for a flurry of notarized accounting statements and HMRC acknowledgements and cover letters explaining discrepancies in unmet legal obligations.

imran1234
Newly Registered

Post by imran1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:27 pm

sadi952 wrote:
outhector wrote:

Thanks
Sadi
Hi Outhector
Amendments were only for year 2010-10
Source of income for 2010-11 = employed + self employed

Extension= 2013 (employment + director limited company)

ILR =2016 (only employment)

Reason of refusal: they said you made amendments few days just before applying ILR which indicates you done this to get visa only ,,,,,,,,, 322 (5) general grounds on character and conduct ,,,,,,,,,

Surprisingly HO made mistake while information from HMRC on initial decision which i made a base in AR, However they corrected their mistake and but maintain their refusal in AR too.

The most impressive thing is they can make mistake and can correct as well when we highlight after giving them fee too but they are not ready to accept our mistakes,,,,,

Anyway Have applied for JR now

Lets see how it goes

Thanks
Sadi
Hi Sadi,

Very sad to know such allegations..

Could you please let me know after how many days you got AR decision? Did you applied for yourself only or with any dependents?

What was the Reasons Before and after AR please? because you said, they corrected mistake but maintained decision.

Thanks,

Imran

sadi952
Newly Registered

Post by sadi952 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 am

Hi Imran

AR was refused exactly on 28th day after its submission

Single application no dependents

In initial application they said we have confirmed with HMRC about your SA of 2010-11 and and HMRC confirmed that you Declared £0.00

However i never declared SA of 2010-11 as £0.00 definitely there was some amount x that i declared and amended later xactly what i showed to HO,,

So My solicitor picked same point and with documents I tried to prove that it was never £0.00 ,,,, within AR decision they said they do apologize for their mistake and remove that point from initial refusal however your amendments still not sufficient enough to show that you are person of good character or conduct so refusal is maintained under 322 (5) for general grounds ,,,,,

Hope it will give you some idea how HO behaving now a days ,,,,,, I dont know but my solicitor is quiet confident that you did amendments before apply to ILR and declare to HO questionnaire too provided HMRC letter too ,,,,, so in JR very much chances that we will win ,,,,, but who knows whats coming next ,,,,,, lets wait and watch ,,,, how it goes ,,,,

Regards
Sadi

jibon

Post by jibon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:53 am

teddy0409
I like your confidence. Just keep it up. Fight for rights.

here is the JR procedure for your reference.
https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/co ... review.pdf

oni82

Post by oni82 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:13 am

teddy0409 wrote:Dear adeelishaq786,
I have given enough clarification on why I was late, HO is not bothered about the fact that I am late in filing the tax but they have put 322(5) General ground for refusal on me for not providing reasons for late submission, (though i have mentioned in my cover letter) and in the Questionnaire provided on the date of in-person application,
Even If I have not submitted any reasons for late tax returns, HO could not refuse my application on this ground as they need to ask for any additional reasons/documents/evidences as per their acceptance to practice Evidential Flexibility Policy,
I will succeed in my case as HO have not practiced Evidential Flexibility Policy, And it is a breach of conduct on HO's part,
Kind Regards,
Anan

Hi mate, what visa categories were you guys before ILR application?

thiruuk

Post by thiruuk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:27 am

teddy0409 wrote:Dear adeelishaq786,
Kind Regards,
Anan
Hi All the best! You are the man to give confidence to everyone Mine is also refused last month applied again by post with accountant explanation for late declaring dividend
income. Please share your knowledge on your proceedings
tHiRu

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks ouflak1 for your researched input, I will keep all these factors in to account before sending AR,
I have met 3 different solicitors yesterday and all of the three confirmed that 322(5) is bit harsh for late tax filing and they have several aspects to derail the 'Not a person of good character' comment, As a law abiding person I am with in my right to file a tax late, As filing tax late is not classified as evasion,
I will give you an update as soon as after filing the AR, As I use to say to everyone 'If not we, Then who?
Kind Regards Anan
If Not We, Then Who?

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 pm

jibon wrote:teddy0409
I like your confidence. Just keep it up. Fight for rights.

here is the JR procedure for your reference.
https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/co ... review.pdf
Thank you Jibon, I am not I am alone, I am a integral part of you all, We will for sure win this and will proceed with our normal life, Keep going
If Not We, Then Who?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:27 am

teddy0409 wrote: As a law abiding person I am with in my right to file a tax late, As filing tax late is not classified as evasionn
I don't think anybody in this country: citizen, corporation, or any other entity with tax responsibilities: has a right to file taxes late. Indeed taxes, including their timely payment of, are considered a basic responsibility of being a member of a society, especially as this is a critical part of what allows a society to continue to function. This is a responsibility that is analog to, and hand-in-hand with, certain rights one likewise has in a society.

The UK, in general, doesn't necessarily apply very many punitive measures on individuals for filing taxes late. But that should never be construed as a 'right' to file taxes late! Cases of gross misconduct by individuals involving large amounts of money, immigration cases, questionable corporate accounting practices, and any other scenarios that invite scrutiny on finances, are all likely to draw the ire of the government when discrepancies are found, a government which may then decide to mete out its punishment as it sees fit.