ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI shenanigans

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ILR4PVM

OCI shenanigans

Post by ILR4PVM » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:44 pm

This post is to clarify some of the absurdities and omissions in the vfs website with regards to OCI application.

1. If you submit the surrender certificate for indian passport, then no need of any other document to prove indian origin (not even the cancelled indian passport)
2. It is given somewhere in the website to bring 2 copies of the filled application form - not needed, 1 copy is enough. Also only page 1 and 2 needed, rest is generic info.
3. 2 self addressed special delivery envelopes need to be enclosed when you go for step 1 documents submission itself and NOT during step 2 passport submission as wrongly given in the website. They will keep one to return originals as in point 4 below and give back the other to be submitted during step 2.
4. I was not able to find anywhere clearly specified that some of your original documents will be retained and then sent back to you in one of the delivery envelopes you have submitted in around a week's time. For my adult application it was my naturalisation certificate and passport surrender certificate. For my child's application, it was our marriage certificate and her birth certificate.
5. The signature that you upload has to have a perfect white background. So when you take the application form print out, it must look like signed directly on the paper without any background. Otherwise VFS may not take the application or ask you to sign under it.
6. For a child's application with thumb impression also, the above is applicable. For an extra safety measure, take her thumb impression in a piece of white paper as well. They will cut it out and stick it underneath the scanned image if needed (dont ask me why this absurdity ! it is all desi babudom in its glory)
7. For a child's application, you need to put her/his thumb impression in point 32 against signature and also fill the section below with signatures from father and mother as well (hmmm !)
8. If by any chance you couldnt make it to the VFS appointment and didnt cancel/reschedule, the system will not allow you to book a new appointment giving an error that the OCI application number (starting with GBRL) already exists. A easy way to get around this glitch is to replace the zero in the application number with the letter 'O' when booking the new appointment slot.
9. OCI online tracking shows the status only a couple of days after submission.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Re: OCI shenanigans

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks ILR4PVM.

I followed point 6 and it helped me to fulfil point 7 requirement. I didn't read point 7 correctly, I was reading on phone, just before last night's sleep.

Many thanks for your useful post. Cheers!