ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Skills Charge for existing Tier2 workers?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hopeforall9
Mood:

Immigration Skills Charge for existing Tier2 workers?

Post by hopeforall9 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to clarify this for me. I am about to extend my visa at the end of this year, but what is confusing is if next year we will have to pay the new Immigration Skills Charge because I am an existing Tier 2 worker? What is also confusion is that what is posted in the exemptions, it wouldn't be applied to those who did the Tier 4 to Tier 2 route, which is what I did initially with my first Tier 2 application almost three years ago. So would my company be exempt or required to pay?

This is what I found on the UK GOV website:
'The exemptions to the charge apply for PhD-level occupations, migrants switching from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 working visa, and the Intra Company Transfer Graduate Trainee category. These will help the UK continue to attract talented students and the most qualified migrants, as well as protecting the UK’s world-class reputation for education and research.'

Sorry, its just we have been trying to figure this out for ages and there is no clear answer on this. Even the lawyers we talked to didn't seem to have a clue. Its so confusing.

If anyone has any ideas on the answer to this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Re: Immigration Skills Charge for existing Tier2 workers?

Post by moonlight55 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:46 pm

The ISC has not been implemented yet. I guess we have to wait for a formal announcement on the exact start date.
On your other query, the previous announcement states ".....migrants switching from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 working visa..." and you are not switching this time round, you are extending. You may have to pay the ISC if it's implemented by the time of your extension. But, this is me just guessing.

However, as I said before, you can't do much now. We just have to wait for any further updates.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 am

Also i think ISC is to be be implemented only by Apr 2017 and not by end of 2016
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

Divu

Post by Divu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm

I have been thinking to ask this question since the announcement.
I thought if we have extended our Tier 2 leave before these new rules were implemented, it wouldn't apply for us? Should it not be just for new non-EU employees applying for their Tier 2.

Apart from this, I hope you are aware of the new salary revisions coming into place this Autumn.

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Post by moonlight55 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:40 pm

If you apply before the rules comes into force, you will not be required to pay. However, I personally don't think HO will limit it to new applications only. My guess is that any application (new or extension) after a fixed date will be required to pay it.