ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiting period for a decision to be made on an asylum case?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

afg13
Newly Registered

Waiting period for a decision to be made on an asylum case?

Post by afg13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 am

Hello guys, this is my first post.

Here's the story.
So my husband is an Afghan asylum seeker, he came to the UK and claimed asylum September 2015. He is still awaiting decision until now.. I'm just wondering, how long are we going to wait for a decision to be made? As you all know, the life of an asylum seeker is not exactly easy, he's not working and isn't granted any financial support.
A little bit more about myself, I'm a British citizen and I'm a well earned professional working for the NHS. I have been living with my husband since February 2016 and we got married June 2016.

Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated.
We have been to a solicitor and he advised us for him to go to Pakistan / afghanistan and apply for a spouse visa or have a baby. What do you guys think?

Member of Standing

Re: Waiting period for a decision to be made on an asylum ca

Post by member » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:56 am

Under what circumstances he applied for asylum?

afg13
Newly Registered

Post by afg13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 am

He came to the uk for safety. He has tortured scars to prove it from the taliban...

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 am

If he is genuinely an Afghani refugee (as he appears to be), the solicitor has given you flawed advice. For obvious reasons returning to Afghanistan to apply for a spouse visa would risk personal safety, apart from the fact that the HO would consider the previous asylum application as false. In order to apply from Pakistan he would need to be legally resident there.
The HO have become wise to 'anchor baby' applications and are now being frequently rejected.
The asylum claim is relatively recent and is likely to take some time to resolve.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

afg13
Newly Registered

Post by afg13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Casa, but can I ask for your suggestion? do you think we should just wait it out for a decision to be made or is there something can do now? Just a bit frustrated that's all :( not being able to do anything

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 am

I would say wait it out but standby for a response from others who may have a better option.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Alicia_4076
Newly Registered

Post by Alicia_4076 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:08 pm

I think it varies depending on the nature of the claim. I applied for asylum based on my sexual orientation, I went for my interview in Leeds on the 21st of June and 7 days later last week, I was granted asylum. But then I read about people who have been waiting years. So I think it depends on the complexity of the case and how the interview went really. I wish you the best of luck.