ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Freedom of Information Request help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Freedom of Information Request help

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:26 am

Hi there

I wanted to know how I can request freedom of information from Home office? I've looked it up but of the 28 bodies, I don't know who to write to.

Please can someone advise. Also, does anyone have a sample letter/email I can use.

Thank you!
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Freedom of Information Request help

Post by ohara » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:02 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 am

3. How to make an FOI request wrote:Contact an organisation in writing to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request. This can be by:

letter
email
fax
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:08 am

See also SAR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you ohara & vinny!

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:39 pm

The whatdotheyknow site is very good for making FOI requests if you don't really know what you are doing. You literally just choose the department you want to contact, write your query and hit send and everything is done for you. The results will be available for the public to read on the site too.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks ohara, I think I was after the subject access request. I always get confused between the two. I didn't realise I'd need to sign off an ID by a solicitor :roll: that might take a while..

Will they be able to give me information held about my husband regarding his previous applications? I have a feeling they have him down as 'overstaying' for part of his stay. But when he applied for a spouse visa, at the time he had an appeal going on for a student visa so he was technically legal until the appeal was heard. I have the letters to prove that the appeal reply came after the spouse visa application was sent and he left the country when the spouse visa was rejected (because he had no valid leave to remain).

He never intentionally overstayed.

I know we made a mistake by applying while his appeal was in process, but I don't understand how they can make such a mistake and not know theres already a application in process. I don't want that to hinder his citizenship application when the time comes.

Thanks

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Freedom of Information (FoI) requests are for find out general information from government departments. They won't disclose anybody's personal information through an FoI request!

If you want to get personal information from the government, then you need to do a subject access request (SAR). You have a right under the data protection act to have access to certain information held about yourself by government departments. You cannot request somebody else's information unless they have given their express permission.