ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residency for EEA citizen, no CSI but yellow card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

scarlet13
Newly Registered

Permanent residency for EEA citizen, no CSI but yellow card

Post by scarlet13 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same situation as some of you already described. I have been in the UK for 8 years, studying and working and now studying again. I want to apply for permanent residency as a EU national and I stumbled across the "comprehensive sickness insurance", which I never knew that existed before. I will try to use my yellow permit,which I obtained in 2008 when I did my Master, under the transitonal provisions for students. The problem is that I re-became a (PhD) student in 2012 and I had no idea that a comprehensive insurance was required. It is mentioned nowhere and the university is clueless about it. I just don't understand how the HMRC expects ppl to check all the laws daily?! I have read one success story on the forum of a Romanian citizen who used the yellow card, but the others were due to appear in court and it would be really helpful to know how that went.

I was also wondering if it's worth applying for permanent residency on the grounds of a "durable relationship" with a British citizen. We've been together for 6 years and we'll get married soon. I called the HMRC the other day and I was surprised to hear that even if in a relationship or married, the same comprehensive sickness insurance is required. I just don't get it...say, potentially if the UK kicks out all the EU members who do not have a residence permit next year, even if I am married to a British citizen, I would not have the right to reside here? Or are there any other routes that I could take? I am just too worried that the laws will get worse and I am not quite prepared to take that risk. Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

noajthan

Re: Permanent residency for EEA citizen, no CSI but yellow c

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 am

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 am

scarlet13 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm in the same situation as some of you already described. I have been in the UK for 8 years, studying and working and now studying again. I want to apply for permanent residency as a EU national and I stumbled across the "comprehensive sickness insurance", which I never knew that existed before. I will try to use my yellow permit,which I obtained in 2008 when I did my Master, under the transitonal provisions for students. The problem is that I re-became a (PhD) student in 2012 and I had no idea that a comprehensive insurance was required. It is mentioned nowhere and the university is clueless about it. I just don't understand how the HMRC expects ppl to check all the laws daily?! I have read one success story on the forum of a Romanian citizen who used the yellow card, but the others were due to appear in court and it would be really helpful to know how that went.

I was also wondering if it's worth applying for permanent residency on the grounds of a "durable relationship" with a British citizen. We've been together for 6 years and we'll get married soon. I called the HMRC the other day and I was surprised to hear that even if in a relationship or married, the same comprehensive sickness insurance is required. I just don't get it...say, potentially if the UK kicks out all the EU members who do not have a residence permit next year, even if I am married to a British citizen, I would not have the right to reside here? Or are there any other routes that I could take? I am just too worried that the laws will get worse and I am not quite prepared to take that risk. Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You are not dealing with HMRC (tax) - its HO.

Yes, applicants are expected to take responsibility and get up to speed with requirements. Universities may or may not know about such matters.

EU does its best to help:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf

Your Yellow card may save your student years and allow them to count towards acquiring PR (even without CSI or EHIC)..

A British partner or spouse cannot help you acquire PR; even before Brexit a BC is not considered a Union citizen (in this context) and so cannot sponsor you. And you are not on the UK migration path with a UK visa,

If you haven't acquired PR yet you will have to rely on the British sense of fair play and any transitional arrangements (ta) to be put in place for Brexit;
(all yet TBC ofcourse).

A RC may help you as 'ta's often depend on holding EU-related accredidation (eg a RC) by a certain key date.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alexxy
Newly Registered

Post by alexxy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm

I suggest you apply for permanent residency ASAP. Fill in the application carefully, pay attention to the relevant sections, attach all the documents required, add your yellow card and attach a cover letter explaining why you are exempt from providing CSI because you obtained your yellow card before 20th June 2011 when the CSI requirements were introduced. You fall under so-called transitional arrangements for students, so you don't need to show any evidence of CSI. It is important that you explain this clearly as whoever deals with your case might not be aware of these regulations and might just dismiss it like they did with mine.