ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA applying for Brit.Citizenship without PR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

propagandhi2
Newly Registered

EEA applying for Brit.Citizenship without PR

Post by propagandhi2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm an EEA Citizen, I've been living the UK for 6 yrs and 2 months (since 10/05/2010)
In 2012 I have spent 10 months outside the UK. My total days outside during the last 5 years is less than 450 though, and less than 30 in the last 12 months.

My question is:
Given the below Gov statement. I assume I can apply direct for a British Citizenship, without applying for a Residence Card, correct? (note the bold below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stat ... -in-the-uk
EU nationals who have lived continuously and lawfully in the UK for at least 5 years automatically have a permanent right to reside. This means that they have a right to live in the UK permanently, in accordance with EU law. There is no requirement to register for documentation to confirm this status.

EU nationals who have lived continuously and lawfully in the UK for at least 6 years are eligible to apply for British citizenship if they would like to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Member of Standing

Re: EEA applying for Brit.Citizenship without PR

Post by member » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 pm

How have you been exercising your treaty rights in the UK?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:16 am

Also see discussion regarding changes to the requirements of naturalisation applications after 12/11/2015 for the PR status to be evidenced by a PR Card/DCPR.

Also, it is not five years of residence required to acquire PR, it is five continuous years of exercising specified treaty rights.

Go through the links in EEA Route Applications > Guidance for a better understanding.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

propagandhi2
Newly Registered

Post by propagandhi2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:58 am

secret.simon wrote:Also see discussion regarding changes to the requirements of naturalisation applications after 12/11/2015 for the PR status to be evidenced by a PR Card/DCPR.
According to the discussion above it seems that after 6 years you don't need a PR card, correct?

member wrote:How have you been exercising your treaty rights in the UK?
[/quote]
Yes, for 6 out of the 10 months away in 2012, I was working for a UK company.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 am

propagandhi2 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Also see discussion regarding changes to the requirements of naturalisation applications after 12/11/2015 for the PR status to be evidenced by a PR Card/DCPR.
According to the discussion above it seems that after 6 years you don't need a PR card, correct?

member wrote:How have you been exercising your treaty rights in the UK?
Yes, for 6 out of the 10 months away in 2012, I was working for a UK company.
No, you have made an Incorrect reading of what is essentially a news briefing; that statement is not official guidance on, and not the law on, naturalisation.

DCPR is still a mandatory prerequisite for privilege of citizenhip.

What was the exceptional, one-off reason to justify an absence of 10 months outside UK? (HO will require justification and evidence).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.