ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IHS Refund on dependant visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

niceguy1
India

IHS Refund on dependant visa

Post by niceguy1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi,

My wife was granted a dependant visa on the basis of my ILR. She paid between £400-£600 as IHS fee for the 2 year visa. As soon as she landed, she got a job and has been paying taxes for the last two months. Would she be eligible for a IHS refund since she is paying taxes and has, hence, been contributing to the NHS?

Thanks in advance

Casa

Re: IHS Refund on dependant visa

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:21 pm

No. I think you're probably referring to NI contributions from employment, not tax deductions.
NI contributions go towards certain state benefits and state pension, contribution based job seekers allowance and ESA, maternity benefit and bereavement benefits.
Not free access to the NHS.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

niceguy1
India

Post by niceguy1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi,

Her Payslip shows deductions towards National Insurance and Income Tax in two separate sections. I understand that a portion of Income Tax contributes towards the NHS? Regardless, I was wondering if I can approach UKBA with a request?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:25 am

The IHS has nothing to do with whether a person pays NI or tax. almost all non eea migrants now pay it as part of their visa application even if they are coming here to work (eg on a tier 2 visa). your wife isn't entitled to a refund.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:04 am

As a matter of interest, the UKBA was disbanded in March 2013 due to being unfit for purpose. It was superseded by the UKVI in April 2013.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.