ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Tourist/Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dd99
Newly Registered

UK Tourist/Student Visa

Post by dd99 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:18 am

Hi,

My son holds New Zealand passport, he has got UK Tier4 student visa which is going to be valid from September. but I would like him come to uk earlier next week.

I was wondering, is it possible for him to arrive in UK on a tourist visa, and then change his visa to student visa without having to leave uk and return back to uk?

Many thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UK Tourist/Student Visa

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:27 am

dd99 wrote:Hi,

My son holds New Zealand passport, he has got UK Tier4 student visa which is going to be valid from September. but I would like him come to uk earlier next week.

I was wondering, is it possible for him to arrive in UK on a tourist visa, and then change his visa to student visa without having to leave uk and return back to uk?

Many thanks!
There has been a no-switching rule for years from visit visa (or visit visa waiver), so no - cannot be done.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dd99
Newly Registered

Post by dd99 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:49 am

Wanderer wrote:

Many thanks!
There has been a no-switching rule for years from visit visa (or visit visa waiver), so no - cannot be done.
Wanderer, thank you so much for the speedy reply.
I just really want to spend sometime with my son before he goes to uni.

If so, is it possible my son is coming on tourist visa first, then I take my son go to France, and use student visa come back to UK after student visa has been valid?

Thanks again

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am

dd99 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Many thanks!
Wanderer, thank you so much for the speedy reply.
I just really want to spend sometime with my son before he goes to uni.

If so, is it possible my son is coming on tourist visa first, then I take my son go to France, and use student visa come back to UK after student visa has been valid?

Thanks again
Can't see why not, but wait for others on this one.

Only possible issue I can see is the IO might wonder whats going on with a Student Visa already in passport, so just need to make it clear what the plan is if questioned, they are a suspicious lot and he'll probably assume you son will just stay on in UK and not re-enter on Student visa.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dd99
Newly Registered

can I spent more time with my son possible?

Post by dd99 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi

My son holds new Zealand passport. (he can visit UK in 6 month without visa ) He has got Tier 4 student visa on his passport which is going to be valid from September, and he is going to study in uni in next 3 years in UK as an international student.

We miss each other very much. We would like to spend more time together. I would like him to come over earlier. So far I know there is no way to change tourist visa to student visa in UK. so is it possible for him come to UK as tourist first and he can use his Tier 4 student visa when we can travel back to UK from France in September?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:20 pm

dd99 wrote: I was wondering, is it possible for him to arrive in UK on a tourist visa, and then change his visa to student visa without having to leave uk and return back to uk? !
He has to enter the UK on the date his visa is valid from to 'activate' his student visa. This CANNOT be done within the UK.

Suggest to avoid complications, why not meet up in the EU and then travel to UK when his student visa is valid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dd99
Newly Registered

Post by dd99 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
dd99 wrote: I was wondering, is it possible for him to arrive in UK on a tourist visa, and then change his visa to student visa without having to leave uk and return back to uk? !
He has to enter the UK on the date his visa is valid from to 'activate' his student visa. This CANNOT be done within the UK.

Suggest to avoid complications, why not meet up in the EU and then travel to UK when his student visa is valid.
Thank you so much for your kind prompt reply.

asp

Post by asp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:40 pm

He is not a visa national so he can arrive early and ask the IO to admit him as a visitor. Happens all the time. But he must leave the UK and re-enter, seeing an IO, somectime after his student vignette starts. Note that goning to Ireland won't work because of the Common Travel Area.

The vignette can only be stamped on or after the start date printed on it. It Is that which will activate his student leave.

Without the vignette being stamped correctly the Post Office will not hand over his BRP, he will not have active student leave and his uni cannot enrol him.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:08 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.