ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Schengen, without visa, for EEA-family members

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chinkyjoana

Travel to Schengen, without visa, for EEA-family members

Post by chinkyjoana » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:55 pm

hello all,

i am non-eu married to EU citizen (Portuguese) currently residing here in the UK. I am still waiting for my residence card and already got my passport back with COA. I have travelled to Poland this month without any schengen visa and even though the boarder guard disagreed about my right to travel with my EU husband he did let us in (probably also because we were the in the last flight and last soul in krakow airport). My dilemma now is that me and my husband will be travelling to Portugal on Sunday. I was able to get an appointment to portuguese embassy today but the woman said that they cannot give me schengen visa as my family permit is already expired even though i have a COA already. But before i left the office, she then told me it is legal for me to travel to Portugal as i will be travelling with my husband which is Portuguese and that we have a marriage certificate that is registered in Portugal. She said the only thing she cannot guarantee is me going back here in the UK since I have an expired EEA permit. I am not worried about going back here in the UK as the last time we entered from Poland the boarder guard didnt have any problem with it in Gatwick Airport. I tried to ask the woman from the embassy if she can give me a writing so i can present it in the boarder in Lisbon Portugal but she said she cannot. My worry now is that the boarder guard in Portugal might not know about the EU law for family members free movement and might not be lucky as we were in Poland. Can someone advise anything? Do you think the boarder guards in Lisbon are knowledgeable about this law since the embassy already confirmed that it is legal?

chinkyjoana

Returning on expired EEA FP (boarding a flight?)

Post by chinkyjoana » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello All,

I am a non EU citizen married to an EU (Portuguese). We travelled here in Portugal last 28th of August and was set to return yesterday 11th of September. However since I have an expired EEA FP easy jet didn't let me board the plane and asked me to get a new one here in Lisbon. Anyone knows if the consulate here in Lisbon will be able to give me a new EEA FP even if this is not my country? Also, my schengen visa just expired so I am scared on what to do. Does anyone knows if any airlines will let me board with my situation? I flew to Poland last month and there was no problem with the airline (also easyjet) at that time. Any help on what I can do? I have already scheduled my visa appointment on Friday but if there's an urgent fix it is welcome. By the way I already have my COA.
Thank you!

noajthan

Re: Returning on expired EEA FP (boarding a flight?)

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Kindly refrain from posting multiple repeat questions.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Food for thought, a denial even with valid Article 10 card:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... t#p1397605

ACOA is not a travel document.

See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... to-travel/

Worst case drive to Calais, get the ferry.
See this UK BF Ops Manual to see how border guards/IO/ECO will greet and question you at the border:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ndents.pdf
- ref secton 5.5

chinkyjoana

Post by chinkyjoana » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:50 pm

noajthan wrote:Food for thought, a denial even with valid Article 10 card:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... t#p1397605

ACOA is not a travel document.

See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... to-travel/

Worst case drive to Calais, get the ferry.
See this UK BF Ops Manual to see how border guards/IO/ECO will greet and question you at the border:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ndents.pdf
- ref secton 5.5
Hi Noatjhan,

Thank you! I have travelled here in Portugal with just a marriage certificate and there was no problem. It is just the easyjet people in Lisbon airport doesn't know anything. Do you think though that the British consulate here in Lisbon will give me the EEA Family Permit? I am in stress now as I don't know if any other airlines will do the same.

noajthan

Re: Travel to Schengen, without visa, for EEA-family members

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Posts merged.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:57 pm

chinkyjoana wrote:Hi Noatjhan,

Thank you! I have travelled here in Portugal with just a marriage certificate and there was no problem. It is just the easyjet people in Lisbon airport doesn't know anything. Do you think though that the British consulate here in Lisbon will give me the EEA Family Permit? I am in stress now as I don't know if any other airlines will do the same.
As you have discovered travelling within Schengen zone is a walk in the park compared to trying to break out of Schengen area and into fortress UK.

And it seems you had a bumpy ride even getting to Poland. Unclear why you risked it with an expired FP but hey ho, you are where you are.

My understanding is that, In theory, you can be issued a FP at the embassy even if not resident.
You will need to prove identity, relationship, that sponsor is a qualified person, details of residence in UK and etc etc.

chinkyjoana

Post by chinkyjoana » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:43 pm

noajthan wrote:
chinkyjoana wrote:Hi Noatjhan,

As you have discovered travelling within Schengen zone is a walk in the park compared to trying to break out of Schengen area and into fortress UK.

And it seems you had a bumpy ride even getting to Poland. Unclear why you risked it with an expired FP but hey ho, you are where you are.

My understanding is that, In theory, you can be issued a FP at the embassy even if not resident.
You will need to prove identity, relationship, that sponsor is a qualified person, details of residence in UK and etc etc.
Hi Noatjhan,

Going back from Poland to the UK was easy that's why I risked it again and I wanted to visit the family of my husband. I am wondering if by train will be easy?

chinkyjoana

Post by chinkyjoana » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello everyone,

Does anyone knows how long does the processing period takes for an EEA family permit here in Portugal? I already submitted my application on the 16th of September and they told me it can take up until 2 weeks but when I emailed the international immigration they told me visa can take up to 15 working days. I have submitted my papers with a proof that I'm already living in the U.K. hoping it can help to make the process faster.
Thank you

JandE1726
Newly Registered

Post by JandE1726 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:21 pm

chinkyjoana wrote:Hello everyone,

Does anyone knows how long does the processing period takes for an EEA family permit here in Portugal? I already submitted my application on the 16th of September and they told me it can take up until 2 weeks but when I emailed the international immigration they told me visa can take up to 15 working days. I have submitted my papers with a proof that I'm already living in the U.K. hoping it can help to make the process faster.
Thank you
Hi chinkyjoana
How did you get on with the eea family permit application in Lisbon? How long did it take? Im planning to apply as i have expired residence card

chinkyjoana

Post by chinkyjoana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:03 pm

JandE1726 wrote:

Thank you
Hi chinkyjoana
How did you get on with the eea family permit application in Lisbon? How long did it take? Im planning to apply as i have expired residence card
Hi JandE1726,

I applied in Lisbon thru TLS. They only have rent an office in Lisbon and is only available every other Friday except summer which they do every friday. Make sure to submit all the necessary documents needed. The appointment takes about 15mins. They dont have a collecting office so they will always ask for your address in Lisbon to deliver the passport. It takes about 2 weeks for the processing.

JandE1726
Newly Registered

Post by JandE1726 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

chinkyjoana wrote:
JandE1726 wrote:

Thank you
Hi chinkyjoana
Hi JandE1726,

I applied in Lisbon thru TLS. They only have rent an office in Lisbon and is only available every other Friday except summer which they do every friday. Make sure to submit all the necessary documents needed. The appointment takes about 15mins. They dont have a collecting office so they will always ask for your address in Lisbon to deliver the passport. It takes about 2 weeks for the processing.
Thank you for your quick response chinkyjoana. Im glad i did ask you first before i book the flights as we can only stay in Portugal for 11 days and arriving on a tuesday. I dont think I will receive it on time. So I guess I will be left here