ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cyprus: entry with EE Residence Card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Cyprus: entry with EE Residence Card

Post by a.s.b.o » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:37 pm

My parents are in possession of the UK-issued EEA Residence Cards and we plan holidays in Cyprus. I was surprised that this country (clearly a beneficiary of EEA/2004/38/EC) is selective in dispensing who would benefit from the freedom of movement when it comes to the home turf.

6. Spouses/ Dependants of EU/EEA/CH Nationals

Spouses of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant “RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION-Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National (see specimen below) do not need a visa to enter Cyprus, provided that they are travelling with the European Citizen or they are going to join him/her. They should also carry with them their marriage certificate. This directive applies only to married couples.

http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/HighCom/londo ... Document#6

I wrote to the High Commission and they came back adamant that my parents, even if they travel with me, need a visa. The bureaucrat actually went into an expense of forwarding me the list of documents that contained bookings, bills, letters, statements [gasp] [gasp] [gasp]

What would be the best way to approach this situation? We have about two weeks prior to the break

AsBo

mgb

Re: Cyprus: entry with EE Residence Card

Post by mgb » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Ask them how they understand article 6 section 2 second sentence of the directive 2004/38.

"For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in
Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement."

Due to article 10 section 2 subsection d parents get such a card in the guest country if they fulfill the preconditions.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:14 pm

a.s.b.o wrote:...

What would be the best way to approach this situation? We have about two weeks prior to the break

AsBo
Contact Solvit to solve it?!

http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/what-is-solvit/index_en.htm
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mgb

Post by mgb » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:49 am

From the cyprus MFA internet site:

For information regarding the procedure of issuing visa for the Republic of Cyprus and/or consular issues of Cypriots abroad, the public is advised to contact the accredited Embassy
of the Republic (link), and, if it is deemed necessary, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus,
Presidential Palace Avenue, 1447, Nicosia,
Phone Number: 22651000, 22651113
Fax Number: 22661881, 22665313, 22665778
Email: consular@mfa.gov.cy

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:42 am

Thank you MGB

We received the response to our email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is xxx and I am an Irish citizen. I reside in UK and my parents are holders of EEA Residence Cards (Family members of a EU citizen) issued in accordance with article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC.

My question is the following: for purposes of my parents travelling to Cyprus, how do you understand the article 6 section 2, the second sentence of Directive 2004/38/EC? In other words, do my parents, issued with EEA Residence cards in accordance with Article 10 section 2 subsection (d) are allowed to travel to Cyprus without the visa?

Thank you

And the answer being:

Dear Sir,

The short answer is NO, they don’t need a visa.

Kind Regards