ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ECO refusal of visit visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Miss_c3
Newly Registered

ECO refusal of visit visa

Post by Miss_c3 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Hello all
My grandmother lives in Africa and has been coming to visit us in London over last 12 years, every 3 years or so. She has visited on 4 occasions, circumstances exactly the same and has always been granted a 6 month visa yet on this occassion the ECO was not satisfied of her intention to return. (!)

She has never overstayed her visa, has a family and life to go back to and also has family here to visit yet for some bizarre reason on this occassion deemed might not return. Can someone please help as to a way forward? Letter is silent as to appeal rights but my research seems to suggest they tell you if you have a right to appeal? Research also seems to suggest that I cannot ask for an administrative review or ECM to review the file as her application was for a visitor visa, which I think leaves me to apply for judicial review on basis of proportionality (Art 8 ) and irrationality given the lack of explanation in the decision why she reached decision she did, just that it was based on her financial circumstances (she is retired but has always been when previously granted).

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

noajthan

Re: ECO refusal of visit visa

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:53 am

How frequently has she been visiting within a 12 month rolling period and how long has she stayed on each visit?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Miss_c3
Newly Registered

Post by Miss_c3 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:35 pm

@Noajthan thank you!

@Casa She comes once every 2-3 years staying 4-6 months at a time. So 4 times over the last 12 years . Last here 2014, no problems, stayed 6 months but did not stay longer than her visa allowed and has never overstayed. Never returned in less than 24 months since leaving UK. Same circumstances on each occassion, yet now they are not convinced she intends to return back.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 pm

What was the exact wording of the refusal, taken out any personal info?

What evidence did your grandmother submit of her personal, family and financial circumstances in her home country?

UKVI has become more strict in assessing visit visa since 2015.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Miss_c3 wrote:@Noajthan thank you!

@Casa She comes once every 2-3 years staying 4-6 months at a time. So 4 times over the last 12 years . Last here 2014, no problems, stayed 6 months but did not stay longer than her visa allowed and has never overstayed. Never returned in less than 24 months since leaving UK. Same circumstances on each occassion, yet now they are not convinced she intends to return back.
Is it possible that there are any health related issues? Maybe the ECO thought that your grandmother may stay for NHS treatment?

Just throwing out ideas

Miss_c3
Newly Registered

Post by Miss_c3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:20 am

@ highly skilled that was not mentioned in the refusal letter and if it was a concern we are happy to take out private health care for her prior to her travels.

@CR001 The refusal letter reads "I appreciate you have previously visited the UK, in order to assess your intentions in the UK, I must consider your current personal circumstances and note that you have not submitted satisfactory evidence of your personal and financial circumstances including income at this time. I am not satisfied your personal circumstances are as stated on your application form and this in turn leads me to doubt your intentions on wishing to visit the UK and I am therefore not satisfied that you will leave the UK at the end of your proposed visit"

In the application sent my mother sent the following:
- her own bank statements and evidence that she supports my grandmother financially
-listed my grandmother's address which is communal property ( she lives on a farm in Africa owned by the family)
-she is 76 so does not work but sent money by my mother evidence of which was provided
-no mention on the letter as to what they mean by 'personal circs aren't as stated on the form'
-all my mother's six siblings and extended family are still in Africa

Any ideas what further information could be sent in her circumstances to show personal and financial circumstances? Also what we can do next? My mother is British if that makes a difference

Thank you for the help provided thus far

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:38 am

I suppose showing the dependence on your mother here could be seen as counting against ties to the home country. How did you support the point about all other relatives - including potential grandchildren etc - still living back home?

It is quite difficult with retired folk, due to the lack of work ties. Is there anything you can send to back up the family ties back home? E.g. photos or a letter confirming she looks after grandchildren back home etc?

I've been thinking what I'd do if my own parents would need to come stay here temporarily in future and I have to say while my Mum who is retired has a lot of ties and is very active (and would under no circumstances want to leave) I'd struggle to *document* this.

The kinds of things that tie retired people to their surroundings aren't usually linked with a lot of useful paperwork. (This may well change by the time younger generations retire!)