ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI- Is surrender certificate alone enough ?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

OCI- Is surrender certificate alone enough ?

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:37 am

1)
I am in the process of applying for OCI.. I have read the following link http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html many times but I just want to be very sure about one thing which is confusing me.
I understood that following are the documents needed while I fill the application Online–
1) Printed & signed copy of the declaration form 2) 2 photographs of applicant, 3) Signature photo, 4) Foreign Passport Copy, 5) Copy of Naturalization Certificate (I am a Naturalized citizen)

The confusion is here from the section “Documents required for Applicants born In India:”
I have a Surrender Certificate of Indian Passport (original).
As I have held a Indian passport and have a Surrender certificate for the same.. I assume I wouldn’t need any of the following isn’t it? Let me know please.

• Domicile certificate
• Original Birth Certificate
• School Leaving Certificate
• Agriculture land documents

Let me know if I have to gather any more documents other than the above.

2) Also it is been suggested that “All applicants are required to submit the originals along with the copy of the Proof of Indian Origin documents
Do they return back all these originals like British passport, Naturalized certificate & Surrender certificate on the day of appointment?

Thanks-
Indi

rmukherjee

Re: OCI- Is surrender certificate alone enough ?

Post by rmukherjee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I assume I wouldn’t need any of the following isn’t it? Let me know please.

Domicile certificate, Original Birth Certificate, School Leaving Certificate, Agriculture land documents
Yes you are correct. If you have a Surrender Certificate you don't need any of these other documents. I did take along my original Indian passport to VFS (with the "cancelled" stamp on it) for reference along with a photocopy of the cancelled passport.

Note that if you have children and they apply for OCI, you also need you and your spouse's marriage certificate.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: OCI- Is surrender certificate alone enough ?

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:27 pm

rmukherjee wrote:
I assume I wouldn’t need any of the following isn’t it? Let me know please.

Domicile certificate, Original Birth Certificate, School Leaving Certificate, Agriculture land documents
Yes you are correct. If you have a Surrender Certificate you don't need any of these other documents. I did take along my original Indian passport to VFS (with the "cancelled" stamp on it) for reference along with a photocopy of the cancelled passport.

Note that if you have children and they apply for OCI, you also need you and your spouse's marriage certificate.
Thank you the customer service has said the same..,

Message to others
If you dont find a quick reply here, call up the helpline number 0203 793 8629
They are open from 9am UK time.. press 3 for OCI inquiries .. They are very well versed with all the information that you need..