ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent: Requesting more documents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

titid
Newly Registered

Urgent: Requesting more documents

Post by titid » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:51 am

Hello guys & gals,

I just received a letter from the home office requesting proof of residency from the 1st of april 2015 to july 2016 for my naturalisation

And this could be in the form of HRMC tax payment from that period if self employed or letter from employer comfirming am in work during that period.

The problem I have is am a company director and I also file self assessment, however for that period of date above my accountant is just in the process of filing that to the HRMC and I might not have much time to request my tax details from HMRC.

The question is if it possible I can write a letter from my own company letter head confirming my own employment confirmation for the said period, would the HO frown upon me using my own company for this? even though am a director and can also be classed as employee.

Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks
T

dapto10

Re: Urgent: Requesting more documents

Post by dapto10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:24 am

I was in a similar situation and what I did was this:

I emailed them straight away and explained why I'll need more time (they are effectively asking you to submit your SA earlier, as you don't have to do that before the 31/01 deadline) and offered alternative evidence. They didn't reply to my email but it seems my caseworker had read it.

Then I sent them a special delivery letter explaining in detail why I needed more time to prepare and file my tax return. I think it's important for this first letter to be submitted before the deadline. Along with the cover letter I sent full 12-month personal bank account and credit card history, letter from my NHS dentist confirming appointments I've attended during the period in question, and a couple of Letters of Reference from people I work with. In the meantime (they usually give a 14-day period for the applicant to respond to the request), I prepared and filed my tax return and enclosed the printout from HMRC's portal plus an online receipt.

A week later, when HMRC acknowledged receipt of my tax return and payment, I requested Statement of Account which arrived in another 3 days. I forwarded the letter to HO same day (that was a week after my first letter, the one with alternative evidence) and my approval arrived 2 weeks later.

You should be OK. Just give them a detailed explanation as to why you need a bit more time, and in the meantime provide as much alternative evidence as you could.

titid
Newly Registered

Post by titid » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 am

Awesome mate and thanks for the advise, I read the letter again there is a self-sufficient section which bank statement will suffice for it for the evidence of residence. I rang my bank requesting statement for the period, hopefully that should be enough.

Thanks

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 am

I'm not an immigration expert but I believe the type of evidence requred depends on your circumstances. I assume you've received the standard Annex (the second page of the HO letter where they set out different scenarios - if you are in employment then provide such and such evidence, for self-employed individuals, such and such, and so on).

For example, if you've claimed you have a company, you're effectively in employment / employed by your own company, you're not applying as a self-sufficient individual. Therefore they will be expecting to see evidence supporting your claim. Not sure if evidence that covers self-sufficient individuals will do in your case. Basically everything you provide should support your 'Director of own company' status. Alternative evidence will definitely help support your application and will buy you time, but I genuinely believe they will still be expecting to see your most recent tax return (proof of tax and NI contributions).

Hope this helps. Good luck!