ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After becoming a British Citizen - Who needs to be updated?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

catch22_av
Newly Registered

After becoming a British Citizen - Who needs to be updated?

Post by catch22_av » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:15 pm

Hello All,

Apologies if this question has been already asked and there are responses available out there. I recently became a British citizen (yay!) and wanted to understand whether this change in Nationality needs to be updated with certain government agencies like HMRC, NHS, Electoral Office, Employer etc? Is there a list of orgs or people that need to be told that one has become a British Citizen? In addition to it, is there anything I should be applying for for e.g. EHIC. Are there any additional benefits (not necessary economically related) which one can avail of after becoming a Citizen which werent available when one was on ILR?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Av.

Zaidii

Re: After becoming a British Citizen - Who needs to be updat

Post by Zaidii » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:22 pm

May be write a letter to Queen and let her know

catch22_av
Newly Registered

Post by catch22_av » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Zaidii wrote:May be write a letter to Queen and let her know
Thanks Zaidii for such a value added response. Cant thank you enough. Could you care to entertain with a few more of those informative one liners? Thanks. :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:25 pm

catch22_av wrote:Hello All,

Apologies if this question has been already asked and there are responses available out there. I recently became a British citizen (yay!) and wanted to understand whether this change in Nationality needs to be updated with certain government agencies like HMRC, NHS, Electoral Office, Employer etc? Is there a list of orgs or people that need to be told that one has become a British Citizen? In addition to it, is there anything I should be applying for for e.g. EHIC. Are there any additional benefits (not necessary economically related) which one can avail of after becoming a Citizen which werent available when one was on ILR?

With Regards,
Av.
Congratulations.

HMRC may be interested.
You can update/correct your voter registration(/electoral roll entry) next time council writes to you.
A British EHIC may be handy to have.

Not sure the Queen wants to know but you may ofcourse sing the national anthem if and when you wish.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Zaidii

Post by Zaidii » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Glad that you didn't get offended :)

catch22_av
Newly Registered

Post by catch22_av » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks noajthan for your wishes and info. I will contact HMRC and apply for EHIC. I tried to sing the anthem during my ceremony but was very offtune. It will get some getting used to. :)

Cheers Zaidii. Life's too short to get offended. :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 pm

catch22_av wrote:Thanks noajthan for your wishes and info. I will contact HMRC and apply for EHIC. I tried to sing the anthem during my ceremony but was very offtune. It will get some getting used to. :)

Several scans and copies of your naturalisation certificate may be useful to keep on file too.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Careful, she'll set the Corgis on you...

I can't find an option for notifying HMRC of a change of nationality on their online form, does anyone know how to notify them?

Another thing is if your original country allows dual nationality you may have to notify them, otherwise you'll definitely have to notify them.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:45 pm

catch22_av wrote:Are there any additional benefits (not necessary economically related) which one can avail of after becoming a Citizen which werent available when one was on ILR?

With Regards,
Av.
There's not that many organisations to inform. Maybe electoral register as they record your nationality.

Regards to benefits, to state the most obvious one which you will already be aware of is your entitlement to a British Passport. Apart from that visa free travel throughout Europe until Brexit officialy happens (around March 2019), harder to lose nationality than ILR, for example if outside the UK for more than 2 years, you loose ILR status, but citizenship remains.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:50 pm

It may be worth updating your bank.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

catch22_av
Newly Registered

Post by catch22_av » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks every one for all your suggestions. I already applied for passport as part of JCAP service, once that arrives I will have to initiate the process of giving up my other nationality as that country doesnt allow dual citizenship.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:51 am

Casa wrote:It may be worth updating your bank.
I tried that but they weren't interested. Even though I'm sure nationality is one of the details they hold on you.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 am

Noetic wrote:
Casa wrote:It may be worth updating your bank.
I tried that but they weren't interested. Even though I'm sure nationality is one of the details they hold on you.
It is. My husband's details were still showing him as a foreign national on his bank records after 10 years of holding BC. He changed it online.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 am

Think I'll take my passport into the branch this week to get it changed, there was no option online and when I contacted them they said as long as I'm still resident here they don't care, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 am

If you are applying for an additional bank account, a loan or a credit card you are asked to confirm that the details held on file are correct. At least this is the case with NatWest.
(Casa, not CR001)

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:05 pm

May be your insurance providers? Mine asked me to phone with update when I become BC, so the 'fact at the current time' is recorded.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

johnkk
Greece

Post by johnkk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:01 pm

the place you work probably wants to be informed of such changes.

Star30

Post by Star30 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Zaidii wrote:May be write a letter to Queen and let her know
Hhhhhhh nice Answer jejeje

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:42 pm

johnkk wrote:the place you work probably wants to be informed of such changes.
Good point yes that's the first thing I did when I got my certificate back from the passport application.