ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T2G to ILR contract job, "Still required..." question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

il96
Newly Registered

T2G to ILR contract job, "Still required..." question

Post by il96 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Dear experts,

Currently I am on the Tier 2 General visa and I soon will be eligible for ILR (5 years route). My qualifying period completes a month before my job contract ends. Thus, I've got two options: either apply for the ILR and then find the next job; or find the next job switching the sponsor and apply for the ILR afterwards. Personally I would prefer the former option, since it is cheaper and would not require the complications of T2G extension. But I am a bit worried whether that month to go qualifies as "Still required for the employment in question for the foreseeable future."
Thus my questions would be, what are the chances of getting the ILR approved on my current contract? And in general, have you ever heard of any cases rejected due to short time left on the contract?

Many thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: T2G to ILR contract job, "Still required..." question

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Are you contracting or is it your employment contract with your approved HO sponsor that has an end date?

Can your employer not write the letter?

Most companies give a time limited contract of employment for non settled migrants.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

il96
Newly Registered

Post by il96 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for reply.

>Are you contracting or is it your employment contract with your approved HO sponsor that has an end date?
Yes, it is my employment contract with my approved HO sponsor.

>Can your employer not write the letter?
I trust you meant the HR not mentioning the contract end date in the letter. I believe the HR will just give me their standard letter, which will very likely include the contract end date.

mdtaifurrahman
Newly Registered

Post by mdtaifurrahman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:37 am

Hello,
I have exactly the same situation. I will keen to see what happens to you. I may be going via Tire 2 extension.
All the bests,

il96
Newly Registered

Post by il96 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks,

From CR001 's reply, it looks like we both should be OK applying for the ILR directly, doesn't it?
But I still would like to hear whether any cases got accepted/rejected in similar circumstances before engaging in the £5K gamble.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:55 pm

If HR mention the contract end date, then how will you meet the 'still required for the foreseeable future' requirement?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

il96
Newly Registered

Post by il96 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Sorry, apparently I've got your reply wrong.
From my correspondence to HR, the letter "will include employment details such as job tile, salary and date of employment." Does it sound like they are going to mention the contract end date?

Many thanks,

mkh05r

Post by mkh05r » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi, I was in the exact same situation. I was worried as someone on this forum advised my ILR would be refused as HO don't want us to start claiming JSA immediately after ILR. Anyway I managed to extend my contract by a year as my employers standard letter does include the job ending date. I didnot extend Tier 2, instead applied successfully for ILR, with the "still required for one more years or so" letter from my employer.

il96
Newly Registered

Post by il96 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:17 am

@mkh05r
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would do the same, but in my case a year extension is not possible due to the company policy.

@CR001
I can probably ask for a short extension, which again raises the question of how long the "foreseeable future" period would be. From your experience, what would be the shortest period between application date and the contract end date that qualifies as "foreseeable future"?

Many thanks,

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 am

If instead of end date, the letter says that you are still required for the job in future, then it should work. I remember reading a post from someone here where they had a wording similar to "required in the future" and the person got his ILR. Can you convince your HR to only mention that you are still required for the future , and not mention the end date? Let us know how it goes..

il96
Newly Registered

Post by il96 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks for reply.
paradoxical wrote:Can you convince your HR to only mention that you are still required for the future , and not mention the end date?
That is a very good question. So far the HR didn't say much about the letter contents (please see above). Thus I think, I'll find out the actual wording of the letter after I request it.

drbg
Newly Registered

Post by drbg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello
I am in the same situation but not sure what to do. Have you had any luck ?