ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI collection and British Passport Submission

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abhishek7749

OCI collection and British Passport Submission

Post by abhishek7749 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi All,

Would it be possible to submit the British Passport and collect the OCI of my minor child in the UK, while he is India. I am planning to bring along his British Passport to the UK from India with me, while he stays back in India. After 4 months, I will go to India to bring and him back on OCI.

Additionally, will there be any problem if the child goes to India on an e-visa, stays there for 4 months and come back on OCI card.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Kind Regards,

lemony

Re: OCI collection and British Passport Submission

Post by lemony » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

I hope you already know that e-visa is only for 30 days. So if your child stays for 4 months in India then technically he will be overstaying. You may face problem while departing from India.
Regarding the other bit of collecting child's OCI by submitting his BP in UK while he is in India, I am not sure how far legally it is possible, maybe some more experienced member may be able to help you.

abhishek7749

Post by abhishek7749 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks for your reply.
I am aware that e-visa is only for 30 days.
However, he will be getting his OCI before he returns. So technically the e-visa should not have any significance once he gets OCI.
This is my understanding, but need to understand if there is any point missing.

Regards.

abhishek7749

Post by abhishek7749 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:18 am

Let me put it this way.

Will my infant be required in any of the 2 VFS visits for OCI?
And will his presence in UK mandatory while submitting the British Passport to VFS in the second visit to OCI?

Your response will hugely help me plan the travels.

KInd Regards,

lemony

Post by lemony » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:02 am

Hi,
From the link https://passport.gov.in/oci/ and accessing the Brochure pdf in that page, I have come across this text which answers your query:

For collection of the OCI Cardholder registration booklet, the applicant
is required to be present at the concerned Indian Mission/FRRO in
person or he/she can send a duly authorized person, along with his/her
passport and the original documents for which self-attested copies
were attached at the time of submitting application, for verification
purposes. However, the condition is that the applicant should be
physically present in the country of issuance of OCI cardholder
registration booklet when it is collected through an authorized person.
If a person is not in a position to travel to the country of issuance of the
OCI cardholder registration booklet, he/she could procure it through the
concerned Indian Mission/ FRRO of their present place of stay by
making a formal request to the office issuing the OCI Cardholder
registration booklet.
No passport and OCI Cardholder registration
booklet will be received/sent by Dak/Post or e-mail.

Hope this helps.

abhishek7749

Post by abhishek7749 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Yes, that clears this up.
Thanks for your effort.

Regards,

softsword

Post by softsword » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Anymore update on this?
For minors when we submit, they never ask you whether the original applicant is in the country or not. They just accept the application without any problems. So I assume while submitting the british passport too they would only check the online status printout and accept the passport. And i believe they will send the passport within a week or ten days. If there is any person to collect the passport in UK, why should one worry about asking to be sent to indian address or something?

Please enlighten.

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

softsword wrote:Anymore update on this?
For minors when we submit, they never ask you whether the original applicant is in the country or not. They just accept the application without any problems. So I assume while submitting the british passport too they would only check the online status printout and accept the passport. And i believe they will send the passport within a week or ten days. If there is any person to collect the passport in UK, why should one worry about asking to be sent to indian address or something?

Please enlighten.
You are right. For our application (me, my wife and child), only I went to VFS for both the first and 2nd time. And the documents were couriered back. Physical presence of all applicants is not necessary, and there's a very good reason for that ( can you imagine bringing small kids and babies into the VFS waiting rooms? :D ).

If you are going for 3 applicants, however, you should get 3 appointment slots and 3 tickets. Even if they are not contiguous (e.g. I got 10, 10.30, 10.30), they process all the 3 together.

aarti211
Newly Registered

Post by aarti211 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Has anyone collected the OCI card from the present place of residence which is not the country of issuance?

Thanks

apdon
Newly Registered

Post by apdon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 am

rmukherjee wrote: You are right. For our application (me, my wife and child), only I went to VFS for both the first and 2nd time. And the documents were couriered back. Physical presence of all applicants is not necessary, and there's a very good reason for that ( can you imagine bringing small kids and babies into the VFS waiting rooms? :D ).

If you are going for 3 applicants, however, you should get 3 appointment slots and 3 tickets. Even if they are not contiguous (e.g. I got 10, 10.30, 10.30), they process all the 3 together.
Please advice:
Have applied my Baby's OCI application on 4th November. Its now processed and I'm waiting for the documents to be received at Birmingham.

When I go to submit the original British Passport:

1.Do I need to book an appointment with VFS or it is walk-in?
2. Do I need to submit 'Declaration form (included in the OCI application pack)'? - When i submitted OCI application, VFS Birmingham gave me a print out stating, what to bring whilst submitting British passport and this is listed in it. Its going to be a faff to get my baby's thumb impression on this again.

Any advice / experiences will be super useful for me.Thanks.

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:54 pm

apdon wrote:1.Do I need to book an appointment with VFS or it is walk-in? It's walk-in for the 2nd visit (when the OCI is ready and you've got to submit the passport). They do ask that you bring a printout from the online system showing the status with you.

2. Do I need to submit 'Declaration form (included in the OCI application pack)'? - When i submitted OCI application, VFS Birmingham gave me a print out stating, what to bring whilst submitting British passport and this is listed in it. Its going to be a faff to get my baby's thumb impression on this again. I just signed on her behalf on the declaration form as she's a minor. In any case they weren't too interested in the declaration form when I went for the 2nd time.