ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anyone experience with April UK's health insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

WhoKnows

Has anyone experience with April UK's health insurance?

Post by WhoKnows » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my very first post on any forum ever.

Me and my husband are struggling to find information on April UK's health insurance.
The HO has refused my husband's application and one of the reasons was our health insurance with April UK.
The plan we have specifically is the "inSpire" plan. One thing the decision maker has stated as a problem is that it's a moratorium based policy. I am not really informed of what specifically the requirements for a valid CSI are however I have read that many people have been successful with WPA, BUPA or AVIVA's health insurance.

I don't want to talk to much around it.
Does anyone have any experience with April UK?
Is it better if me and my husband switch to a different health insurance provider?

Thanks in advance.

noajthan

Re: Has anyone experience with April UK's health insurance?

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 am

If application was refused due to invalid insurance then clearly you need to switch provider.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks for your reply.
And yes you're right but it's not easy to choose from all those insurance providers. I just don't want to make another mistake by choosing wrong CSI.

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:20 am

I've used AXA and it was accepted but it cost us about £1000 for 2 of us but paid by the company I was working for so I've saved that cost yearly

WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Okay that's interesting however I do not believe that my husbands company would cover health insurance.

I have contacted WPA for a quote and was recommended the "elite" plan which I however found expensive at around £110 monthly.
I then contacted AVIVA for their "healthier solution" plan which is not too bad but I am not sure whether this policy is alright as a CSI.

To the standard healthier solution plan i added dental and optical extras and an excess of £200. I am not sure about the excess how much should that be to satisfy the HO? Is the policy comprehensive enough?

The lady on the phone told me however that they would not provide the policy for home office use but only private use and that their policy would not be comprehensive.
Guess it depends how one defines COMPREHENSIVE.

Moderator edit: Commercial link removed.

Hope someone can help.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:45 pm

you don't need to tell them that you're using it for the Home office just get the comprehensive health Insurance that suit your need and you don't need to add any extra to the policy. Have you also search for (Bupa).
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:04 am

Wise wrote:you don't need to tell them that you're using it for the Home office just get the comprehensive health Insurance that suit your need and you don't need to add any extra to the policy. Have you also search for (Bupa).
Hi there,

@Wise thank you for your suggestion to contact Bupa which I did yesterday and I am actually thinking about going with Bupa as their plan seems pretty comprehensive to me. There are however some questions I have tried to find the answer to but am still confused.

The questions are regarding the excess and the underwriting of a CSI.
How much excess if any should a CSI have to satisfy HO and which of the two underwriting ways is rather acceptable 1= Moratorium based underwriting OR 2= Full medical underwriting?

I need this information before being able to choose the right CSI.

About the underwriting I am definitely thinking about full medical underwriting as our decision maker has had a problem with our previous CSI as it was a moratorium based policy. However I really want to know whether any of them would be fine and if our HO decision maker was wrong as sometimes they are.

Thanks

fpg
Newly Registered

Post by fpg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:43 am

I have also had the "inspire" plan on moratorium basis when I applied (that was around 2 years ago) for my spouse's Residence Card and everything went fine. Now we moved to Aviva as it came out to be cheaper for 2 persons. I was under the impression(I might be wrong) that the majority of insurance plans are on a moratorium basis, as it is easier for the insurance companies. And while researching in these forums when I was about to decide about my plan I don't remember anyone mentioning being rejected because the plan was on a moratorium basis.

I guess I was either lucky or they changed their policy at the home office.

WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:24 am

fpg wrote:I have also had the "inspire" plan on moratorium basis when I applied (that was around 2 years ago) for my spouse's Residence Card and everything went fine. Now we moved to Aviva as it came out to be cheaper for 2 persons. I was under the impression(I might be wrong) that the majority of insurance plans are on a moratorium basis, as it is easier for the insurance companies. And while researching in these forums when I was about to decide about my plan I don't remember anyone mentioning being rejected because the plan was on a moratorium basis.

I guess I was either lucky or they changed their policy at the home office.
Hi,
Thank you so much for sharing this. I was hoping to hear something in regards to the exact same policy me and my husband hold.
The only reason why I wanted to change this policy was because of the moratorium based problem and because I have little knowledge about these things i.e. excess and underwriting, I just believed what the decision maker stated on the decision letter.

To be really honest I am certain that the refusal was totally wrong and simply due to laziness and carelessness by the decision maker. He literally refused our application on two invalid reasons:
ONE – Decision maker suspect that EEA national (me) is not a real student as he was not able to speak to anyone from the college to confirm this.
TWO - Due to the CSI and as it is moratorium based.

One thing I must admit is that I forgot to submit a college letter later on as at the time we applied college had just started and I only had a induction week letter which I submitted with the application and totally forgot to send evidence later on.
However the decision maker did state to have called the college (reception number) and not being able to speak to anyone which I think is a ridiculous reason to refuse the application.

In regards to the CSI I submitted a “certificate of registration” as proof. The decision maker states that there was not enough proof of holding CSI and that the policy is moratorium based.

I contacted the decision maker with enough study proof as also proof of CSI later though on his reply he stated that the college letter is acceptable but he could not change the decision to refuse the application.

Anyone else with a moratorium based policy that was accepted?

My husband and I planned to submit another application as our appeal is still waiting to be listed for a hearing it has already been 6 months and they say it could take up to 12 months.

We went to a solicitor last week who actually advised us to submit a new application and he also said that in case we would win the appeal my husband’s visa would not be backdated and probably have the start date as when the appeal was won. I could not believe this, Is this true?

OMG so many questions!

Thanks for any advise.

NiNa2010
Newly Registered

Post by NiNa2010 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,
We also have April UK in-spire plan as self sufficient. We applied for RC only recently so I still don't know what the outcome will be.
However before I took out the insurance, I was trying to find any info on the internet whether it's accepted or not and didn't find anything. Then I called one of the insurance brokers and they recommended this type of cover as accepted by the home office, so now I'm a bit confused.
I was also reading through all the guidelines provided by HO under FOI (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-838834) which had something to do with CSI but it didn't say anything about moratorium underwriting being unacceptable. It just makes me wonder whether there is any new policy in place or it's just a bad luck :(