ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long-term visit visa - 180 days?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Hardikjshah83
inactive
India

Long-term visit visa - 180 days?

Post by Hardikjshah83 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:41 am

hi,

my understanding is that for Long-term visit visa, they have to leave UK after 180 days however its not clear that they can not come back for another 180 days, meaning one can stay here for 6 months, go out of uk for 1 day and come back again for 180 days? is that right? is there any clear guidelines on home office website - can someone please advise?

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Long-term visit visa - 180 days?

Post by ohara » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 am

You cannot spend more time in the UK than your home country, so no you can't visit for 180 days, go home for 1 day then visit again for 180 days.

The clue is in the name "visit" visa. Clearly, staying in the UK for a whole year with only 1 day back home is not visiting. It is residing.

Hardikjshah83
inactive
India

Post by Hardikjshah83 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:13 pm

ohara wrote:You cannot spend more time in the UK than your home country, so no you can't visit for 180 days, go home for 1 day then visit again for 180 days.

The clue is in the name "visit" visa. Clearly, staying in the UK for a whole year with only 1 day back home is not visiting. It is residing.
hi Ohara - i get that, however are there any law around it, i dont see any clear guidance on it on HO website.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:46 pm

Guidance to Immigration Officers at UK Border Control on reasons to refuse on entry:
"the purpose of return trips to the visitor’s home country and if this is used only to seek re-entry to the UK"

and

"There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in
any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an
individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse
their application.
"

The above is generally interpreted as a visitor would be considered to be making the UK their home if more time was spent there in a 12 month rolling period than is being spent in their home country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_v4_0.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.