ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost BRP (Please help me only three more days left. )

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

path2ukcitizen
Newly Registered

Lost BRP (Please help me only three more days left. )

Post by path2ukcitizen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:42 am

Dear Gurus,
My ceremony was booked 17th November, But unfortunately, i misplaced my BRP card in my office while making copies. I was very panic situation. Could you please help me what should i do. Here is my questions.

1) Am i required to postpone ceremony, and get a new BRP (ILR) and book for ceremony.

2) Am i required to inform homeoffice and attend the ceremony ? As i have given missing complaint in my office. they confirmed that , if they found something they will inform to me.

3) Am i required to give a police complaint, Something kind of ?

4) After ceremony, i need to return my BRP, So how can i proceed.

Please help me, I know this was open forum and can't expect answers quickly. But my ceremony was scheduled on 17th November. Only three more days only left.

Please help me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Lost BRP (Please help me only three more days left. )

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:54 am

Stop panicking.
1) Am i required to postpone ceremony, and get a new BRP (ILR) and book for ceremony. You don't need your BRP for the ceremony. Why do you think that you do??

2) Am i required to inform homeoffice and attend the ceremony ? As i have given missing complaint in my office. they confirmed that , if they found something they will inform to me. What do you mean by 'inform HO'? Attend your ceremony, report your BRP lost to HO and thats it.

3) Am i required to give a police complaint, Something kind of ? They don't deal with this anymore.

4) After ceremony, i need to return my BRP, So how can i proceed. If you report it lost, then you don't have anything to return. It will be cancelled anyway once you attend your ceremony and once you report it lost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

path2ukcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by path2ukcitizen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:05 am

Hi CR001,
Thanks a lot for your quick response, whom should i inform ? is there any mailing address or email or phone number available ? .

Am i required to inform them after ceremony ? or i need to inform now only ?.

After Ceremony, i need to return BRP in 5 working days. So can i send a letter saying my BRP was lost ?

BRP Return address :-
---------------------------
POL Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 am

You are required to inform HO as soon as it is lost. It contains ALL your personal information. See link below.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... en-damaged

Bear in mind that often when people lose it 'at work or at home' they find it as soon as it is reported lost. Have you checked on the photocopy machine, behind the machine, in the paper bin, under the machine.

BRP return address is to return BRP, not report it lost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

path2ukcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by path2ukcitizen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:58 am

Hi CR001,
Thanks for your help, I have searched all the place, but didn't found it. So as per your comments i can inform in the above link.

After ceremony, What should i write to.

POL Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:00 am

path2ukcitizen wrote:After ceremony, What should i write to.

POL Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT
Nothing because you would have reported is lost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

path2ukcitizen
Newly Registered

Leaving country after citizenship ceremony(Last help )

Post by path2ukcitizen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:21 am

Background of my case :-

ILR approved on :- 01 Oct 2015
Naturalisation Applied on :- 30th Sept 2016
Approval received on :- 15th November 2016
Private ceremony on :- 17th November 2016

Due to lost of BRP Card, I have cancelled my ceremony. [Not required, As suggested by gurus. But lot of other problem in my mind, don't want to take any chance. Due to my personal circumstances. ]

Applied new BRP, Got it on 25th Nov 2016.

Scheduled Private ceremony on 29th Nov 2016.

My situation :-

Due to some personal problems I need to travel as soon as possible to my home country. I was hoping to travel after citizenship ceremony. I may not come back for another 1 or 2 years for sure.

As my home country doesn't support dual citizenship, And i have to surrender my existing passport and apply for OCI to travel. I can see if i haven't return BRP in 5 days, I am liable to pay 1000£. But I am ready to pay. I know it was against forum rules to ask suggestions anything like this. But i dont have any options. If i want to postpone my ceremony, i may not come back to UK in my lifetime. It was very hard jouney to get citizenship. I never broke any law, I never missed any payments, I dont have any single FPN's. I was very responsible and respect law. But don't have any options.

1) If i go back my home country with citizenship certificate.

2) My family friend will send my passport to me [I know it was against law.] or what should i do in this case ?

3) can i surrender my current passport from my home country (India)

4) Can i apply British passport from my home country ?

5) if nothing I can proceed from India, then what should i do.

6) Suppose if i come back after 5 years in the future, can i enter UK with My old passport and ILR and citizenship certificate. Whether they will allow to the country ?

7) Am i required to hire a solicitor to handle my case further to sort out my legal issues ? or i can do it my self by explain the situation ?

My situation was very bad, Please please don't give any negative comments. If you want to help please give me suggestions. If you really feel i am not suppose get any help on this forum, you can delete my post.

I don't want to leave the citizenship [After lot of hurdles completed my immigration journey. Now i can't start again after 5 years. So i will be leaving country for sure and fight for the best.]

noajthan

Re: Leaving country after citizenship ceremony(Last help )

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:33 am

path2ukcitizen wrote:Background of my case :-

Scheduled Private ceremony on 29th Nov 2016.

My situation :-

1) If i go back my home country with citizenship certificate.

2) My family friend will send my passport to me [I know it was against law.] or what should i do in this case ?

3) can i surrender my current passport from my home country (India)

4) Can i apply British passport from my home country ?

5) if nothing I can proceed from India, then what should i do.

6) Suppose if i come back after 5 years in the future, can i enter UK with My old passport and ILR and citizenship certificate. Whether they will allow to the country ?

7) Am i required to hire a solicitor to handle my case further to sort out my legal issues ? or i can do it my self by explain the situation ?

My situation was very bad, Please please don't give any negative comments. If you want to help please give me suggestions. If you really feel i am not suppose get any help on this forum, you can delete my post.

I don't want to leave the citizenship [After lot of hurdles completed my immigration journey. Now i can't start again after 5 years. So i will be leaving country for sure and fight for the best.]
Putting aside any answer you gave in AN application vis a vis future intentions (Q2.3).
And I have no comment on home country processes or interaction with British side.

1) British passport is not compulsory.

4) Yes

6) A UK citizen has every right to enter UK.
ILR BRP will be invalid after citizenship ceremony let alone in 5 years time and you are supposed to destroy/return it anyway.

7) You have no legal issues on British side. See 1)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

asp

Post by asp » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:04 pm

From what you have said you are travelling on an Indian passport, so need a visa or a BRP to be allowed on a plane to the UK. Even if you don't return the BRP it will be cancelled by UKVI a few days after your ceremony. If an airline checks whether your BRP is valid they will find that it isn't and will refuse to fly you back to the UK, even if you claim to be British and produce your certificate.

The airline will want to see a valid BRP, British passport or certificate of right of abode.

Btw, if you don't intend to make the UK your home you will be committing fraud at the ceremony and may later have your BC revoked.

path2ukcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by path2ukcitizen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for your replies, My initial intentions are to settle in UK, But in last two month situations are changed, Due to current problems i dont want to loose citizenship. I will be back to UK in a year's time mostly. My plan was.

1) Don't return BRP, Fly with indian passport + BRP + Naturalization certificate.

2) If possible explain the situation to British authorities later.

3) As i have applied via JCAPS, My passport will arrive in couple of weeks, My friend will send over courier and in person.

4) If step 3 was not legal , I will ask him to return the passport to HomeOffice, And apply duplicate or new passport from India.

5) I will try to start process from india, I am happy to wait for longer periods. As I can't travel outside my home country at least an year to settle my personal stuff.

Please suggest what should i do, Can i take solicitor advice before leaving ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:31 pm

What's the big issue?

As per #4 you now have a year to apply passport from 'home'.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:22 pm

As you've already been advised, there's no point in travelling with your BRP.

In the same way that a bank card can be de-activated by the issuer, your BRP will be inactive/cancelled automatically once you've attended your BC ceremony.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 am

Your situation was little bit tricky, No one can't suggest 100% correctly, Because, till now i haven't seen any post relates to your situation . But I have below assumptions in my mind. But still gurus can correct my comments, if i am wrong.

Here is my thoughts.
path2ukcitizen wrote:Thanks for your replies, My initial intentions are to settle in UK, But in last two month situations are changed, Due to current problems i dont want to loose citizenship. I will be back to UK in a year's time mostly. My plan was.

1) Don't return BRP, Fly with indian passport + BRP + Naturalization certificate.
You can fly with your existing BRP, Because HomeOffice will take some time to deactivate the BRP. And also you don't need BRP to enter your INDIA, As your Indian passport was canceled.

2) If possible explain the situation to British authorities later.
Not sure, what reason you can show. Better to take advice from solicitor. You might imposed with 1000 £ penalty.

3) As i have applied via JCAPS, My passport will arrive in couple of weeks, My friend will send over courier and in person.
As per my knowledge, Sending passport is not an good idea, Because here you are breaking law. If someone carrying your passport also againist law, I read some where in this forum only. Because if some one carries your passport does't have in & out stamps. So while entering you might face difficulties. And seems suspicious to the authorities.

4) If step 3 was not legal , I will ask him to return the passport to HomeOffice, And apply duplicate or new passport from India.
Try to apply new passport from INIDA only. I am not sure you need to apply new passport or Duplicate from INDIA. I believe your passport was already approved and you need to apply a duplicate from india. Guru's can suggest on this.

5) I will try to start process from india, I am happy to wait for longer periods. As I can't travel outside my home country at least an year to settle my personal stuff.
I am not sure, if you apply from india. After getting passport, what is your legal right to stay in india. Here you might face difficulties to surrender INDIAN passport and getting OCI in india will be nightmare for you. Gurus can guide in this area.

Please suggest what should i do, Can i take solicitor advice before leaving ?
Any way you made your decision, So can't do much. take proper guidance from solicitor and leave the country. Post your outcome, your experiences will be helpful to other forum members.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 am

M.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 am

I don't understand why you chose to ignore CR001's advice. This would have saved you from unnecessarily wasting time and money.

Suggest you wait for your British passport before travelling.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.