ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year long residence ilr query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ayesha111
Newly Registered

10 year long residence ilr query

Post by Ayesha111 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello everyone
I'm new to this forum. I need some advice if anyone could help me.
I came to Uk on 11 july 2007 on a student dependant visa. I had few on time visa extension but was always dependant to my student husband .in 2012 my husband applied for entrepreneur visa which was refused and me as his dependant got refusal Sewell.we went on appeals we got rejected on first tribunal and then we apealed on upertribunal but before our hearing date my husband completed his 10 year long residence and we withdrawl our appeal and he sent a new ilr application and I sent an application for a spouse visa.
Thankfully his visa got approved he received ilr and I got spouse visa.he is now naturalised British citizen and I'm on spouse visa.but that reset my clock in Uk but thankfully I'm completing my 10 years in July 2017.i have already passed my life in Uk test and English language test from trinity college.

All my holidays are under the limit but I have one very serious concern about one long absence from Uk . On 10 Oct 2011 my dad passed away and I flew to Pakistan on the same date with my husband .as I'm the only child of my parent and my mother is a disable person. Means sh was completely dependant on my father on day to day thing.my dad would help her changing bath food everything for my mother until e died on 10 oct.
My husband came back to Uk after 3 months on 1st Jan 2012 but I couldn't leave my disable mother alone because I couldn't find anyone who would take care of hercut story short I came back to Uk on 1st June 2012.
I have my dad's death certificate which is attested from foreign affairs.which proves the date he died and the date I flew from Uk is the same etc. And because my parents principally dependant on us we would send money overseas to my dad's name I have all the reverent documents which I think are sufficient to prove I couldn't leave my disable mother alone .she is 64 years old.i always had visa even when I was in Pakistan for a long break after death of my father .

Now I'm wondering would I be able to apply for ilr and case worker would grant me ilr after seeing the circumstances. I met with a lawyer few days back and he said my long break from Uk would be decided in 2 continuous years and there for it was never over 180 days.
Could you guys can help me and give your valuable advice after seeing my immigration history

Regards I'm

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: 10 year long residence ilr query

Post by physicskate » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 pm

A single absence of 180 or more days breaks continuous residence for long residence (it cannot be broken into any years or anything like that. So it seems as if your long residence was reset to when you got back to the UK in 2012.

To be granted ILR under long residence in 2017, the case worker would need to exercise discretion and no one here can tell you if they would or would not choose to exercise this discretion and grant you ILR in such circumstances...

If you go ahead with your application I would recommend that you don't waste your money on applying in person as PSC applications are for straightforward applications, which yours would not be.

Ayesha111
Newly Registered

Post by Ayesha111 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks phy,can some other members put some light on my case and what are my chances .thanks

Achilles.ali
Pakistan

Post by Achilles.ali » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 am

I'm not an expert just saw this conversation on the forum some where . I think the rules have changed in 2012 and your continuity isn't broken thus your still entitled to apply for ilr. But moderators will guide you better, wait for their reply.

I'm not an expert just saw this conversation on the forum some where may be it can help in your case, moderators can guide you better
db83 wrote:Hi Guys

THIS IS FOR RULES IN PLACE FROM 13/12/2012 to 06/04/2013. PLEASE SEE THE NEW RULES IN UKBA WEBSITE THAT REQUIRES PEOPLE ON TIER 1 to HAVE A VALID PROOF IN TERMS OF A SELF EXPLANATORY LETTER IF YOU WERE ON SELF EMPLOYED (WITH NECESSARY PROOF) AND ABSENCE LETTER FROM EMPLOYER IF YOU WERE EMPLOYED

Just wanted to help the folks who are applying for ILR (with Tier 1) and have long absences > 180 days spread across two consecutive 12 month period which were not medical, compassionate or compelling reason like me ;-). Email below
Hi there Settlement Ops Policy Team,

I needed a clarification on the new ILR rules that have come into effect from 13 Dec, 2012 as the statement regarding 180 days absence is very ambigious with the reasons

1. Regarding 180 days absence in a year - there have been quite a few ambigious statements on this in different places of the website.
Ex: The following link says "During the continuous residence period, you cannot be outside the UK for more than 180 days in any 12 consecutive months."
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/

And the guidance note says ""No more than 180 whole days absence are allowed in any of the five, two, three or four consecutive 12 month periods, preceding the date of the application for indefinite leave to remain (ILR)"

One of them says no more than 180 days in "any" 12 consecutive months where as the other says "No more than 180 whole days absence are allowed in any of the five, two, three or four consecutive 12 month periods"

So if a immigrant is out of the country for 200 days from October 2011 to May 2012 and he applies for ILR (assuming that he has completed five years legally) in January 2013 - according to the Guidance notes, he will still be eligible. (from what we read). Is that correct

Can you please clarify if its 180 days in any consecutive 12 months period in the last 5 years or in any of the five, two, three or four consecutive 12 month periods (according to the guidance notes)

2. It is becoming quite common for people to go on sabbatical unpaid leave and come back to the country after 3-6 months of well earned break from travelling. If the applicant is on Tier 1 G, he doesn't have to be associated to a single employer and will always be at the liberty of choosing work. If an immigrant on Tier 1 General decides to go on a Sabbatical leave and during this course he decides to be out of the UK for less than 180 days absence in any of the five, two, three or four consecutive 12 month periods - would he still be qualified. Although the guidance says that no reason needs to be given when the absence is less than 180 days a year (unless its compelling or compassionate) - I'd like to check specifically for sabbatical leave as this is not covered under your policy guidance.

I appreciate that the sabbatical leave is not related to work - but at the same time a constraint cannot be applied on someone working in the UK as Tier 1 immigrant not to take sabbatical unpaid leave on their own as it will effect their ILR.
And this was the answer...
For the purpose of data sensitivity, I've removed my email addresses and the full name of the person from UKBA who replied this email.

Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox
to me

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e mail.

1. I understand why you think the guidance is ambiguous and thank you for highlighting this. I can confirm that the continuous period will not be broken if absences in any of the consecutive 12 month periods of the specified continuous period do not exceed 180 days. You may or may not be aware that certain categories within Tier 1 can qualify for settlement after 2, 3 or 4 years, whereas all other categories must complete a 5 year period before being eligible for ILR, hence the reference to these different specified periods in the guidance.

If a migrant had spent a total of 200 days outside of the UK during any of the consecutive 12 month periods of the continuous period (which is counted backwards in 12 month blocks from date of application), they would have broken continuity and their application would fall for refusal. However, if this was a single absence which spanned 2 of the consecutive 12 month periods, then the total of 180 days in any one 12 month period may not have been exceeded.

s changed is that previously the Secretary of State for the Home Department (SSHD) agreed to apply discretion to disregard up to 180 days over the whole of the continuous period, and excessive absences over this number could be disregarded by a senior caseworker, provided the employer submitted evidence to show that there would have been serious implications for the business had the excessive absence not been incurred. This was unsatisfactory, as it meant decisions were very subjective, open to challenge, and that there was in fact no limit to the number of days that the senior caseworker could potentially disregard, rendering the rules irrelevant in some cases.

This has now been addressed by the SSHD, and the absolute number of days spent outside of the UK, that will not break continuity are now defined in the rules. There will therefore be no discretion applied to absences that exceed 180 days in any of the 12 consecutive months of the continuous period, regardless of the reasons for the absences.

I trust this answers your questions.

Regards,

XXXX

XXX XX|Settlement Operational Policy and Rules| Blue zone, 5th Floor|Capital Building |Old Hall St |Liverpool L3 9PP

Well I'll be applying in early March...so I'll let you know if I'm succesfull :-)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:29 am

Achilles.ali wrote:I'm not an expert just saw this conversation on the forum some where . I think the rules have changed in 2012 and your continuity isn't broken thus your still entitled to apply for ilr. But moderators will guide you better, wait for their reply.

I'm not an expert just saw this conversation on the forum some where may be it can help in your case, moderators can guide you better
Please don't provide incorrect information and read what you post first. The quoted extract you posted relates to Tier 1 route to ILR and NOT to ILR via long residency. The same rules DO NOT apply to long residence ILR and any break of 6 months or more breaks continuity of residence. ILR long residence applicants are NOT able to split their absence over two 12 month periods to 'be within the limit'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.