ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Term Visa Help For Kiwi

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Aaronb
Newly Registered

Long Term Visa Help For Kiwi

Post by Aaronb » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Hey everyone, there seems to be a ton of knowlagable people on the forums so i was hoping someone could stear me in the right direction for my search. I am an american citizen and my girlfriend is a New Zealand citizen. I am moving back to the states now to continue university and we are looking for any possible way she can stay longer than the standard 3 months. Initially we were looking for work visa possibitly but anything longer than 3 months even if she cant work. She is 21, just finished in november of 07 a diploma in makeup artistry. Any help would be very much appretiated.
Cheers,
Aaron

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:17 am

Aaronb
Newly Registered

Post by Aaronb » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:24 pm

not in the immediate future.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:52 am

Aaronb wrote:not in the immediate future.

Ask further at http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34 but don't be surprised if this limits options.

Aaronb
Newly Registered

Post by Aaronb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 am

ok, thanks for the help
oh also shes from New Zealand would that forum be appropriate for her or just for Brits?
thanks
Aaron

Daniel Green
Newly Registered

Post by Daniel Green » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Hey everyone, there seems to be a ton of knowlagable people on the forums so i was hoping someone could stear me in the right direction for my search. I am an american citizen and my girlfriend is a New Zealand citizen. I am moving back to the states now to continue university and we are looking for any possible way she can stay longer than the standard 3 months.
If she qualifies for a nonimmigrant visa (f-1, j-1, there are many others), she could come and work in the U.S. that way. But given the current state of U.S. immigration law, getting certain nonimmigrant visas can be very difficult, like applying to Oxford or Cambridge.

If your girlfriend does visit the U.S., make sure that she answers any questions at the consulate and port of entry truthfully. If the border officer asks "do you know anyone in the U.S?" she should say, "Yes, my boyfriend".

If your girlfriend conceals her relationship, it could lead to a future finding of immigration fraud, which is not an enviable position for anyone.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Daniel Green wrote:If your girlfriend does visit the U.S., make sure that she answers any questions at the consulate and port of entry truthfully. If the border officer asks "do you know anyone in the U.S?" she should say, "Yes, my boyfriend".
She should answer "Yes, I do". Never give any more information than necessary. And by the way, the chances that they will ask her about a US boyfriend are very remote. I have travelled to the US many times over the years and was never asked anything about a girlfriend.

Aaronb
Newly Registered

Post by Aaronb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm

She does not have a job lined up and dosent have a degree in molecular biology or something of that sort so im thiking she might not be able to get a working visa is that true? I was under the impresion she would have to have a job lined up and sponsering here before she could apply for that. Honestly at this point just a visa that allowed her to be in the states with me would be great. Does anyone have experience with a B2 visa? Would that be something we should consider? How long would she be able to stay on that? Would that even work? I will probably do my post graduate work abroad so we really just need to get her in for as long as possible. I have a New Zealander friend who got a 6 month tourist visa pretty easily. So im thinking at least we could do that. Her only qualification is a diploma in makeup artistry, for theater, tv, film, etc. Anyways How long would those non immigrant visas be valid for?
Thanks for all the help.
Last edited by Aaronb on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Aaronb wrote:Does anyone have experience with a B2 visa? Would that be something we should consider? How long would she be able to stay on that?
At most 6 months at a time, and probably not much more than 6 months a year. She would also not be allowed to work.
Aaronb wrote:Anyways How long would those non immigrant visas be valid for?
Tourist visas are usually valid for 10 years, but as I said you can't stay longer than 6 months at a time. Leaving and coming right back is not an option.

You can have a long distance relationship visiting each other on your vacations, or you can get married. It seems to me that these are your only realistic options.

By the way, feel free to post in the US immigration forum which JAJ recommended. Despite the name, it's not just for British expats.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 pm

You'd have to look this up to make sure, but isn't New Zealand one of the very few countries with which the US has a working holiday maker arrangement?

Basically, it's a visa that allows someone to stay for a year or two (depending on countries, etc.) and allows some work to fund the travelling. You're only allowed to work for a certain amount of time, though. The big plus is there's no need to show advanced skills or degrees or anything.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Platinum wrote:You'd have to look this up to make sure, but isn't New Zealand one of the very few countries with which the US has a working holiday maker arrangement?
As far as I know it only works for US citizens in New Zealand. These working holiday arrangements are not always reciprocal. For example, some British citizens can go on working holidays in Japan, but Japanese citizens can't do that in the UK.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:33 am

Aaronb wrote:ok, thanks for the help
oh also shes from New Zealand would that forum be appropriate for her or just for Brits?
There are quite a few non-Brits on that forum as far as I know.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am

As far as I know it only works for US citizens in New Zealand. These working holiday arrangements are not always reciprocal.
Oh, that's too bad. I'd always thought the WHM programs were reciprocal.

Can't really think of anything else that would help the OP, then.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
Platinum wrote:You'd have to look this up to make sure, but isn't New Zealand one of the very few countries with which the US has a working holiday maker arrangement?
As far as I know it only works for US citizens in New Zealand. These working holiday arrangements are not always reciprocal. For example, some British citizens can go on working holidays in Japan, but Japanese citizens can't do that in the UK.
There is a scheme for Japanese nationals to work in the UK: http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... hange.html?