ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport received but travel on Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

British Passport received but travel on Indian Passport

Post by hussainkothari » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 pm

For the benefit of the group -

I had both British and Indian passport and was contemplating to travel within the grace period I check this with the Indian High Commission and below is the reply. They have said that once the British passport is obtained the grace period does not apply.

------------------------
REPLY FROM Surrender Wing
Wed 11/23/2016, 5:12 PM
to: You,'Gyan Singh, Counsellor [Passport]' (couns.ppt@hcilondon.in)

Dear sir,

Once the British passport acquired , you should only travel on the same after taking a Visa/OCI. Grace period is not applicable once the British Passport is received as it is Illegal and will attract penalties.

Regards,
Passport Surrender Section,
High Commission of India,
India House,
Aldwych,
London WC2B 4NA.
------------------------
REPLY FROM Info.london@hcilondon.in

Mon 11/28/2016, 9:58 AM
To: You

Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings from the High Commission of India, London.
Since he/she has got the British Passport already, travel should be made only on the same after acquiring a Visa/OCI. Grace period is not applicable once the British Passport is obtained. The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian Passport / acquiring Indian Passport / travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further queries.

Thanks & Regards
Public Response Unit
High Commission of India
India House, Aldwych, WC2B 4NA
Tel: 02086295950
Email: info.london@hcilondon.in
------------------------

My Email -
Sent: 23 November 2016 11:06
To: info.london@hcilondon.in
Subject: Passport - travel within grace period after naturalisation

1. Name of the applicant: Mr XXX
2. Contact details (With contact number and email id): 0044 XXX
3. Subject: (Pl mention Passport, PIO, OCI, Visa, Media… whatever is relevant), Passport
4. Brief description of the issue: My family member holds an Indian passport and very recently she has acquired British citizenship and British Passport. She is due to surrender her passport soon but in the meantime she has to make an urgent unplanned trip to India for which she plans to use her Indian passport. Her trip ends within 3 months after she was naturalised. Based on the rule below she plans to use her Indian passport for travel in the grace period that the Indian government allows. Please can you comment if there is a gap in my understanding. Thanks, Mr XXX

https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=90

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel.

ArbonaSh
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport received but travel on Indian Passport

Post by ArbonaSh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:01 pm

I hope you fix all your issues.