ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certified copy of British passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Platinum

Certified copy of British passport

Post by Platinum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi. I'm sending in an EEA2 application soon, but my husband needs his passport to travel for work sometime in mid-February. The BIA says we can send in a certified copy, but it must be certified by the issuing agency. Well, that would be the passport office, which is part of the Home Office, no? And we can't find anything on-line about how to get this done.

Any help?

I asked whether a certified copy from a solicitor would do, but they said no.

If this turns out to be too much trouble, do you think sending in the application right away, with a letter asking for the passport back would get it back to us in time?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Your location says you are in Ireland, so I do not understand how you are applying for EEA2 (a Residence Card). Is your husband a UK citizen?

JA13I

Post by JA13I » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 am

Directive/2004/38/EC, forget what the info about the location says. I think the OP is already here in the UK.

Platinum, and the thing that I want you to forget is the advice by the HO. Send in a copy attested by a solicitor and you should have no trouble at all. Shame on you for paying attention to the "information" that the "geniuses" at the HO call centre dishes out with unerring precision. Mind you, they sometimes tell you the truth just to throw you off-track sometimes as well.
Jabi

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am

Hi. Sorry, yes, I haven't changed my location. We're refugees from the Irish EU1 debacle.

Thanks for the advice JA13I (By the way, my husband is from Stoke! Did you read that article about the city in The Guardian last week?).

Unfortunately, we have already sent in the application with my husband's original passport. We put in a letter asking for it back as soon as possible, and he notified his work that they may have to work the travel dates around a bit.

Oh well. Now I'm just stuck here on this island for however long it'll take to process this.

JA13I

Post by JA13I » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:17 pm

my husband is from Stoke!
... and then moved to Ireland! My sincerest sympathy to the guy.

Now that you have already send off the passport, feel free to ask for it back whenever you want it back as I do not think just a letter asking for it to be resolved soon is going to be of any affect on the HO.
Jabi

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:34 pm

If you may need either or both of the passports back, send the home office a letter by special delivery mail requesting them back (and include a self addressed special delivery envelope for the secure return of the passports). You will then have to return the non-EU passport to them before they can put the Residence Card in the passport.