ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner’s present address

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Linaco
Newly Registered

Partner’s present address

Post by Linaco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 am

Hi guys,
I am applying for British Citizenship and have a question about 1.36 Partner’s present address. Would it be weird and raise lots of questions (worst case scenario, be refused BC) if my address is different from my husband’s address?
The background to this is the following: I bought a flat before I got married, but moved in with my husband when he bought his own house. I have family living in my flat and all my bank statements, payslips, etc are still received there (there is not that much post these days, I get almost everything electronically). I never bothered to change this primarily because I was worried about my mortgage provider seeing that I do not live in my flat.
I have now received my DCPR (I am EU citizen) and thought I’ll just wait for 12 months and apply for citizenship. But upon close reading of the AN form I realised that I would need to mention that I am married to British Citizen anyway and will need to provide my husband’s details.
I am a bit lost as to what I should do, as if I just say that my address is my husband’s house, they may run a check (not sure what kind though) and see that this address is not linked in any way to me (it is not mentioned in my credit report, there are no bills registered in my name, etc).
Does anyone have any advice? This is the only thing holding me back from applying for BC. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Partner’s present address

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:15 am

I am applying for British Citizenship and have a question about 1.36 Partner’s present address. Would it be weird and raise lots of questions (worst case scenario, be refused BC) if my address is different from my husband’s address?
No. I applied as spouse of BC and my husband and I were separated and living in different towns, had no issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Linaco
Newly Registered

Post by Linaco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 pm

CR001 wrote: No. I applied as spouse of BC and my husband and I were separated and living in different towns, had no issue.
Thank you CR001. Can I just confirm which box did you tick on question 1.15 Current marital status? Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Are you married?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

twgal

Post by twgal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm

You don't need to wait 12 months to apply if you're married to a British citizen.

Also, re: your address, there are people who are married and have chosen to live separately. However, if you do live with your husband, I don't see why you wouldn't use your current address. Whatever you do, try not to lie on your citizenship application...

As for your situation re: lying to your mortgage provider, I'm not one to judge but my wild guess is that would go under fraud.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 pm

As I said, I was separated from my husband, living in different towns and applied as spouse of a British citizen without any issue. You only need to be married at the time of application, there is no requirement for citizenship that you must live together.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

blessedtoday

Post by blessedtoday » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Linaco wrote:Hi guys,
The background to this is the following: I bought a flat before I got married, but moved in with my husband when he bought his own house. I have family living in my flat and all my bank statements, payslips, etc are still received there (there is not that much post these days, I get almost everything electronically). I never bothered to change this primarily because I was worried about my mortgage provider seeing that I do not live in my flat.
I have now received my DCPR (I am EU citizen) and thought I’ll just wait for 12 months and apply for citizenship. But upon close reading of the AN form I realised that I would need to mention that I am married to British Citizen anyway and will need to provide my husband’s details.
I am a bit lost as to what I should do, as if I just say that my address is my husband’s house, they may run a check (not sure what kind though) and see that this address is not linked in any way to me (it is not mentioned in my credit report, there are no bills registered in my name, etc).
Does anyone have any advice? This is the only thing holding me back from applying for BC. Thank you
You do not need to wait 12 months if you married to a BC. As you have been advised by CR001 different address from hubby does not matter as that's not a requirement to get citizenship. However good character is required to obtain BC and lying to your mortgage advisor is not a sign of good character and can be classed as fraud

Linaco
Newly Registered

Post by Linaco » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 am

Thank you very much everyone for your advice. It's duly noted and hugely appreciated.