ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advise on British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vvr
Newly Registered

Advise on British Citizenship

Post by vvr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi all,

Firstly i like to thank all the memebers for helping on this forum, appreciate your efforts.

Currently i am in ILR and now elgible to apply for British Citizenship, howvever i am in big dilemma whether to apply for BC or stay on ILR. My plan is to go back to India after couple of years and visit once in 2 years to keep the ILR live so in that case i am thinking why i need to apply for BC. Also at the moment so many uncertanities due to current UK brexit. So i am thinking is it really worth to apply for BC or stay on ILR. Is there any advantage for me to take BC as my plan is to go back home.

Any comments or suggestions on the above is highly appreciated.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Advise on British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Absence of 2 or more years and you lose ILR. Short visits do not maintain the status.

Why do you think Brexit has anything to do with applying for BC?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vvr
Newly Registered

Post by vvr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply CR001,
I thought, if you visit within 2 years then ILR would stay live.
Once brexit happens, if we don’t have free travel within EU then I don’t see much difference whether I got Indian passport or BC , still both passport holders need to get the Schengen visa to visit EU. I don’t know whether this will happen but chances are there. Thus I am thinking of that at the moment.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:57 pm

I thought, if you visit within 2 years then ILR would stay live.
No it does not. ILR requires you to be settled in the UK to maintain the status. It is not a 'long term visa to visit every two years for a couple of weeks' status.

There will likely be a simple process after Brexit, like the USA Esta system.

That aside, there are more countries in the world visa free for BCs than for Indian passport holders.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vvr
Newly Registered

Post by vvr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks again for your prompt reply.
I understand that and if you hold BC then no restrictions at all isnt it? i.e i can stay back home in india whatever length I can. And in that case i need to submit the indian passport once i hold the BC, though i will get OCI card.
Thus it looks like worth apply BC rather stay on ILR.
any comments/suggestions highly appreciated.

blessedtoday

Post by blessedtoday » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm

vvr wrote:Hi all,

Firstly i like to thank all the memebers for helping on this forum, appreciate your efforts.

Currently i am in ILR and now elgible to apply for British Citizenship, howvever i am in big dilemma whether to apply for BC or stay on ILR. My plan is to go back to India after couple of years and visit once in 2 years to keep the ILR live so in that case i am thinking why i need to apply for BC. Also at the moment so many uncertanities due to current UK brexit. So i am thinking is it really worth to apply for BC or stay on ILR. Is there any advantage for me to take BC as my plan is to go back home.

Any comments or suggestions on the above is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi

Definately get the BC, the UKVI is unpredictable and could change the rules, for example they might say all those with ILR if you leave the country for less than 2 years then you lose the ILR. At some point you will wish to apply the BC and the application fees will be way more than what they are now. No one knows what the future holds so apply BC whilst you can

vvr
Newly Registered

Post by vvr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks for your reply, yes you never know the rules about UKVI.
It make sense to get BC rather stay on ILR.