ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General - spouse possibilities

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Tier 2 General - spouse possibilities

Post by mccallfi1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some information on the rights a spouse of someone on a Tier 2 General visa would have?

My husband and I are Australian citizens who were previously living in the UK, both on Tier 2 General visas. We have been traveling for an extended period and shortly hope to return to the UK. We realise that it is unlikely we will both get a job at exactly the same time, so are curious about what rights a spouse would get.

If I get a job first, and with it the Tier 2 General visa, would it be easy for my husband to come as my spouse? Then what rights would he have if he did? Would he be able to search for and start full-time work? If so, would he be able to do this under the spouse visa or would he need to move onto another? Likewise if he were to start a business. Would he be able to do this as my spouse, or need to apply for another entrepreneurial visa?

Appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance.

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Re: Tier 2 General - spouse possibilities

Post by rubyracer2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:14 pm

A spouse can apply as a dependent along with the primary visa holder. The dependent visa holder can work as long as the primary visa is valid.

But there needs to be a minimum 12 month gap between the ending of your previous Tier 2 general visa to the start of your new one.

As australian citizens, you are also eligible for the Youth Mobility visa if you are under the age of 30

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Post by mccallfi1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for such a quick response rubyracer2.

Would a spouse also be able to start their own business or enter into a partnership with another business, just as long as the primary visa is valid?

Not to worry on the 12 month rule - it is almost 18 months since our last visas ended. We have been traveling a long time :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:18 pm

mccallfi1 wrote:Would a spouse also be able to start their own business or enter into a partnership with another business, just as long as the primary visa is valid?
Yes the spouse can start a business while on a dependent visa.

I am guessing there is no UK Ancestry for either you (UK born grandparent)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Post by mccallfi1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Unfortunately not. And we are both over 31. I think sponsorship is our only option.
Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm

mccallfi1 wrote:
Unfortunately not. And we are both over 31. I think sponsorship is our only option.
Thanks again!
That's a pity.

PS - there is no age limit for Ancestry visas by the way. The limit is for Tier 5 WH as you know.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

When it comes to job or business, spouse visa (Tier 2 Dependant) has more rights than the Tier 2 visa holder :)

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Post by mccallfi1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 am

PS - there is no age limit for Ancestry visas by the way.
Thanks rubyracer2, realise that there is no age limit there, was responding to your earlier comment about the Youth visa which I forget to mention at the time.
When it comes to job or business, spouse visa (Tier 2 Dependant) has more rights than the Tier 2 visa holder
Seems crazy paradoxical, but definitely helpful for us!

Thanks both for helping clear this up.