ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job creation-British citizen living in EU

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sonirulz

Job creation-British citizen living in EU

Post by sonirulz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi Members,

I am planning to employee a British citizen who lives in Malta now. He would like to work for us remotely. Please advise will his points qualify for job creation?

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks
Soni

zimba
Mood:

Re: Job creation-British citizen living in EU

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:43 pm

The employees must be settled in the UK. While your case is not covered in the rules but obviously someone (non British) who lives in Malta is not settled in the UK. I advise against such decisions to be safe.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sonirulz

Post by sonirulz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Even if he is UK citizen and has british passport and NI?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Interesting situation.

I don't think there is anything against someone working remotely.

The more important thing would be to have that person on UK Payroll, pay UK Taxes and NI and ideally have an UK address.

i.e you are employing someone in the UK but allowing him to work from home (even if home is in Malta).

The guidance talks about "people with settled status in the UK" and Paragraph 6 states
“In Part 6A and Appendices A and J of these Rules, “settled worker” means a person who:
(i) is a national of the UK,

I can't see anything that says that the worker has to be in UK during the period.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 pm

sonirulz wrote:Even if he is UK citizen and has british passport and NI?
Well a British citizen has the Right of Abode and therefore is assumed settled at all times.
The definition of 'settled' under Tier 1E rules are even more loosely defined than that. So I would say there should not be an issue for a British worker.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice