ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Names

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SHTUT
Newly Registered

Passport Names

Post by SHTUT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

My application for British passport (BP) was declined as I am holding a dual nationality and the names in my application for British passport and my other passport did not match since I used my married surname in the application. The HO has asked me to get my name changed in the other passport by adding my married surname, which I have tried but failed.

My questions are:
1. Can I apply for a BP again using my maiden name which will match with the name of my other passport, but will differ from the name on the Naturalisation certificate?
2. If so, what supporting evidence do I need to submit in my application?
3. What shall I do to make sure I have got everything right as I do not want to waste money and time again in my next application.

Would appreciate relevant and clear advice from the readers!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport Names

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 pm

1. Yes

2. Foreign passport.

Did HO not question your name in your BC application as it did not match your foreign passport???
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm

There is in fact a new rule, which I worked behind the scenes for a year to secure, whereby you can also apply in your married name IF you can prove that the authorities of your other citizenship won't allow you to change the name on your foreign passport. I don't have time to explain this fully now because I have to run to work, but look at the 2 pdfs here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-guidance
There are bits on issuing a British passport in a name differing from that on a foreign passport if there is difficulty in changing the name on the foreign passport. Some passport officials don't know about it yet so you should send copies of the relevant pages of both pdfs along with proof (e.g. passport regulations of your other citizenship) that you can't change the name on your foreign passport.

I had the same problem which is why I fought to have that law changed and eventually managed with the help of Lady Lister. Now I have a British passport in my married name even though my foreign passport won't allow me to have my married name on it.

I hope this helps.

SHTUT
Newly Registered

Post by SHTUT » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks to both Char and Antsmall for their replies.
I had to withdraw my BP application when I found out that I could not change my name on the other passport; thus, a failed application, rather than been declined, to be correct.
I have read the PDFs mentioned in the link and found it very helpful. That is why I am thinking of applying for BP again. I have already changed my name back to my maiden name with enrolled deed poll and I am thinking to reapply BP using my maiden name. The trouble is my naturalisation certificate is with my married surname. So, I am thinking of using Annex A (4) change of name and provide the HO with my enrolled deed poll that contains both my married name and my new name (maiden); and my bank statement as proof of evidence using my maiden name.
Do I need to send a copy of that pages (5-6) of Annex A alongside with my new application?
I am using belt and braces to make sure that I will not lose money and time in my next application. Any comments and advice would be welcomed!