ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

husbands 2 year visa due to expire..what next??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:02 pm

hello everyone...
firstly i'd like to say i am so happy that i have found this support network, from reading through a few threads you all seem really lovely and really helpful!! so thankyou for that!!

well.....the reason for this thread...is because my husbands visa is due to expire (not till march 2009 though so we have plenty of time to prepare!!)

my husband is from fiji..i met him whilst i was traveling and i stayed with him for a few months them came back to the uk worked for 6months then went back out to fiji where i stayed for 2 years, we got married on xmas day in fiji, so we have been married for just over a year now.

we wanted to come over to the uk, as we both can work here..only he could work in fiji, i have a 10year visa to stay there.but no work permit as you can only get that if you are skilled.

we have been in the uk for 6 months now, and all is going very well...but we just want to be prepared when the time comes we have to renew his visa....and to tell you all the truth..we areboth comepletely confused...im not sure what type of visa we should be a pplying for....an extension? a settlement??

i know this you probably get asked this all the time...but i just dont know who else to turn to....

so yes....he has a 2 year "visa husband" visa.....i am a uk citizen, he is from fiji....is he allowd to stay in the country whilst we apply for the new visa? or do we have to leave??
the things we do for love eh!!! hehehe

any comments would be much appreciated..
thank you!!!
k and J xoxo

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Kelly, you have only just joined this Board. Please take a bit of time to peruse the posts in this section of the Board. There you will see the collective experience of many people, and the answers to your questions.

Has your husband already passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or has he still got that "pleasure" to come?
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 pm

He is allowed to make an in-country application.

See also Applying for settlement in the United Kingdom > Application types > Completing application form SET(M)

Do read the form SET(M) now, for his settlement's requirements.

See also Section 1 - Spouses and Annex F - Family members - Maintenance and accommodation.

If he initially entered the UK later than 28 days (4 weeks) from his visa's effective date (1.3) or doesn't meet with all the settlement's requirements (287), then he may apply to extend his leave on form FLR(M) (284).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mmudigonda
Newly Registered

FLR(M) form

Post by mmudigonda » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if somebody could please help me. My wife has a 2 year temporary leave to remain as as spouse which expires in April. However, because she arrived here in June 2006 she cannot complete the full 2 year probationary period. Does this mean that she has to apply for an extension of the visa with form FLR(M) rather than the SET(M) form?
If the FLR(M) form is the one we need, then one thing that we are baffled about is how long my wifes 2 year visa gets extended for? is it just until the 2 year period comes up i.e. 2 months further, or one year more, or does the FLR(M) form give an additional two years?? This m ay seem an elementary question but I have nmot been able to find the answer.
Also, am I right in saying that because we are husband and wife, we dont need to submit the 20 documents?

Please please help!

best wishes,
Mohan

vinny

FLR(M) form

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

hey there everyone.....well im still very much a lurker on here....but dont have the knowledge to put in alot..but love reading all the posts on this forum...

well i thought i'd update you a bit as to our situation....

we are now in the very final stages of putting in the application for my husbands settlement......

we are applying on the SET (M) form....as husband qualifies to apply on that visa rather than FLR....which is a huge relief!!!

hubby also passed his Life in the Uk test......my oh my was that fun! lol!!! we revised together and i now have lots of useless facts i'll never need again running through my head! lol.....do you know that 10% of children in the uk live in a step familly!! im just really glad that the uk test is over and done with!! stressful times eh!!

sooo yes....my husbands visa application must be received before 8th march...so we are doing the finishing touches today and then will post it recorded delivery tomorrow!!

i dont think the general public realise the stress and strain and emotional journey that people go through when applying for visa's.
i just cant wait to get it over and done with.....we live in northern ireland and dont have an immigration centre here for face to face applications....after reading about how long postal applications are taking at the moment i really wish we'd arranged to fly to england and do the application face to face just to "know" that everything is ok...

i know deep down that he will most likely get the visa.....but its still the stress and worry waiting for it to come through.....and it looks like it takes such a long time now rather than the time stated on the website.....just when you think you nearly on the home straight and then the wating game begins!!!

well....i'll prob be on here later with last minute panicing about the visa application..i think thats such a huge worry as im so afraid of us filling it in wrongly and then hte application being returned and having to pay another fee!! EEK!!

well....thank you for letting me ramble....and thank you for reading!!!
take care
kelly and J

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

my husbands visa application must be received before 8th march...so we are doing the finishing touches today and then will post it recorded delivery tomorrow!!
Can I suggest ..... don't! That is, don't send it recorded delivery! Instead send it Special Delivery. Yes it costs a bit more but Royal Mail do give the item better security whilst it is in their hands. And also you are guaranteed next day delivery.

Whereas recorded delivery ..... just send with all the other mail, and merely signed for by the recipient. With passports etc being enclosed recorded delivery is not sufficient!
John

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 pm

hey john! we'll definately send it special delivery!!! thank you for pointing that out to us!!!

im so nervous about sending it through the post in case they get lost!! if i could i'd deliver it myself at least then i know its done!!

but special delivery will be next best thing, dont care how much it costs as long as it gets there.

question...do you think it matters that my passport is still in my maiden name....?? all other documents are in married name....but passport is the only thing i havent had updated.....in the personal details about spouse (me) as my name at birth i have put my maiden name..do you think that will cover it??

cheers
kelly

tonight i am going to open a well deserved bottle of red wine!!! hehe...cant wait till this is all finished!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:46 pm

do you think it matters that my passport is still in my maiden name....??
Under UK law there is no obligation for a woman to change her name on marriage. It is merely a convention that most follow, but no problem if the name has not been changed.
John

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:18 pm

evening everyone....about to open the bottle of red and celebrate...lol

just a wee question...does anyone know if they send back all the documents you send.?? or do they just send back the passports.....just wondering if i need to photocopy all paperwork..as some of it is important like things for mortgage etc...

many thanks!
kelly

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 pm

hey again everyone!!
ok last minute nerves here with the visa...

just want to tell you's what we have for our documents...

finance section

- husbands wage slips from may 2007 - February 2009
-my wage slips from May 2007 - February 2009
- husbands single bank account statements last 4 months
- my single bank account statements last 4 months
- joint bank account statements last 4 months

cohabitation section

- electricty bills in joint names x2
- joint bank statements x4 (different from ones in finance section)
- single bank statements for both of us from may 2007 - present
- p60 for both of us (not sure whether or not to put this in finance section?)
- solicitors letters in jiont names about the purchase of our house
- joint letters about bank accounts from bank
- single letters about savings from bank
-single letters from DVLA
- single and joint letters from Legal and General about our insurances
- mobile telephone bills in single names
- bills for internet
- certified copy of both of our isa savings books

letter from my parents detailing that we stayed with them when we arrived until september 2008 when we moved into our own house

do you think this is enough?? the application form only asks for 6 letters...but there is quite alot more than that but just worried cos dont have alot of things in new address as still getting settled here we had so much other stuff to do with renovating the place...plus when living with parents didnt have alot of bills to pay for as we were saving...

panic!!! lol

any response would be much appreciated in these final stages...
cheers!
kelly
-

kelly_babes_85
Newly Registered

Post by kelly_babes_85 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 am

hello everyone...

just wanted to say a big thankyou for all the advice and information i have received through this website!! you's are a rock in a time of need for people like my husband and i, so thank you again for being here!!!

well we actually sent the visa applicatin off on Wednesday special delivery at about 1.30pm......home office Took payment on Thursday at 08:36AM!!!!!! very quick to take payment...not so quick to make a decision from the sounds of things on this board...

anywho...
thanks again everyone!
kelly and j

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:52 am

Good luck kelly and j... I'm sure it will all work out.