ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time duration on a Schengen Visa for E.U fam

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

archigabe

Time duration on a Schengen Visa for E.U fam

Post by archigabe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:35 pm

We applied for a schengen visa at the Belgian embassy in Ireland as I (non E.U with Irish residence card) and my French wife wanted to spend a few days in Belgium and France.We were asked for proof of accomodation in Belgium and France (i don't know what business it was of the belgian embassy) and they said they would issue the visa for exactly 6days (which were the days we had submitted details of hotel reservations for belgium and France).
I think we are going to complain and ask them to issue us the schengen visa for more than the 6 days. What do you think is the time period we are eligible for on a schengen visa to travel through the continent?

vinny

Time duration on a Schengen Visa for E.U family

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:09 am

See also Problem with Belgian Embassy.

If you are traveling with your French wife to Belgium, then your rights are defined in Directive 2004/38/EC.

Unfortunately,
Travel rights for non-EU nationals closely defined wrote:The residence permit as an alternative to the visa?

On the basis of the Schengen Convention, now integrated in the EU framework, a valid residence permit from a Schengen State, together with a travel document, can substitute for a visa. Thus, a third-country national presenting his/her passport and a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen State can be allowed to enter another Schengen State for a short stay without needing a visa. This equivalence does not apply to residence permits issued by the United Kingdom and Ireland, since they do not apply the Schengen acquis (although they requested to apply some of the provisions on police and judicial co-operation in criminal matters).
However,
Entry procedures wrote:Consular officers issuing the visas may not:

* ask you to produce any documents other than a valid passport and documents attesting to your family link with a Union citizen and proof of dependence, where applicable, such as to furnish proof of means to support yourself, travel tickets, employment certificate, pay slips, bank statements, proof of accommodation, means of subsistence, medical certificate …
* ask you how much money you have to spend;
* ask you questions regarding the purpose and duration of your trip.
Right of residence for up to three months wrote:THE “AUTOMATICâ€
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks for the links,Vinny...Yes, I think we will complain to SOLVIT and try to get hold of a more senior staff member.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:22 pm

If your wife is french I would have applied at the french embassy.

I have been told by several embassies (and it also states on most embassy sites) that the spouses of EU citizens always should apply at their home embassy, no matter where within the EU they intend to travel.

I know three people who did exactly that, and were all granted 6 and 12 months visas by their spouses home embassy... no questions asked.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Obviously you haven't had much experience with the French Government :) We enquired about a visa from the French Embassy...The paperwork involved is just mind boggling. In order to 'sponsor' a stay at her home for a Non-E.U national, our host (M.I.L) is asked to fill out a form at the local town hall. The visitor sponsor form asks for 1. Plans of apartment with no. of rooms and areas listed 2. Salary statements 3.Tax returns of host for the past few years 3.Bank statements of host.4.Utility bills

This was just the start of the process. Since national legislation rather than E.U law applies we just decided to do it at another embassy. I know Surinder Singh rule is applicable, but we want to get things done quickly.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear that.

and I thought we germans were bad. :-) In our case we just had to send the Schengen Form with our passports and the marriage certificate to the german embassy. 3 days later we had a one year multiple entry visa.

Good lcuk with the belgium embassy.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:43 am

archigabe wrote:Thanks for the links,Vinny...Yes, I think we will complain to SOLVIT and try to get hold of a more senior staff member.
Or, in view of dsab85's experience, perhaps you and your wife could consider going via Germany!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:25 am

Yes,Germany would be a good option, since Germany doesnt even require a entry visa provided one has a Stamp4EU Fam Residence card from Ireland.The problem arises across the border in France and we don't want to be hassled by French Police if someone asks us for proof of visa.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:11 pm

It's very interesting to read all these comments.
My expereince was quite different..I lived in Germany for 10 years and I'm now resident in Ireland with my Irish wife. I had big problems with the German embassy when I applied for a Business visa. They only wanted to give me 1 week and they also got me to fill out some strange documents, where I had to state, that I'm not planning a terrorist attack on their country.. The french embassy was much better. No problems at all and they granted me a vise for 8 months..
I'd say it depends on the mood of the person you're dealing with...
Anyway if I had to choose again, I would only go to the rench embassy..

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:05 pm

When my wife called them to enquire if the visa had been processed, she was put through to a supervisor who was very upset that we had complained and asked her why we were creating trouble for them. She said it was not embassy policy to issue visas for the full period for anyone applying to the schengen area for the first time, and that she had forwarded my wife's email to her home embassy as a way of complaining about our complaint!
As a compromise, she agreed to issue the visa for 1 month instead of the 6days they were talking about...she also said that we should be glad that I was not from a particular south asian country,otherwise we would both have been called for an interview!

These people are not used to someone questioning them or quoting rules to them...it's nice to know you can rattle them from their lofty perches!

alan and oscar

Post by alan and oscar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:55 pm

I would recommend the Dutch embassy for a schengen visa, although you ought to be prepared to go the Holland once during the period of its validity.

They have regional offices manned by 'real' people and you can ring up and make an appointment at your convenience (no expensive phone lines). There are no anti-gay problems. (My male civil partner has ILR here but is non-EC) You don't need air tickets, hotel reservations or invitations and the visa is free save for paying for the special delivery package (about £10).

We went over to the Dutch consulate in Liverpool just after having picked up my partner's ILR at Reliance House. But we have also used the Cardiff office last year.

When we applied last year we got 3 months and when we applied this year we got the 6 months we asked for. We do have friends in Holland but will also use it to go to other parts of Europe.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 pm

alan and oscar wrote: They have regional offices manned by 'real' people and you can ring up and make an appointment at your convenience (no expensive phone lines).... and the visa is free save for paying for the special delivery package (about £10).
Unfortunately not true of London:

"Appointments with the visa section in London have to be made through the automated telephone appointments bookings service. The telephone number to call is 09065 540 720 (£ 1.00 per minute). Please note that it is not possible to telephone the embassy directly regarding appointments. Applicants must not attend the Embassy without first making an appointment."
--
Mark Y-M
London

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:01 pm

dsab85 wrote:Sorry to hear that.

and I thought we germans were bad. :-) In our case we just had to send the Schengen Form with our passports and the marriage certificate to the german embassy. 3 days later we had a one year multiple entry visa.

Good lcuk with the belgium embassy.
And In Austrian embassy - i just got it the very next morning after submiting the dacuments. Well i just applied for 6 days (Visiting Visa) but the lady, Austrian embassy counslor, was so so nice, she gave me 6 months schengen visa without any charges and said i can apply for a year once this wil expire (of course i must produce valid irish visa as i am non eu).